PDA

View Full Version : Tension for my Pro Supex Big Ace

HappyLefty
08-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Hey friends,
I have a set of Big Ace and another of Blue Gear (gauge 16). My first test is for Big Ace and I don`t want to underrate this new string because of a wrong tension.
Take a look at my signature and you`ll see I`m using SPPP 17@55 lbs. in my Volkl DNX V1 midplus.
Which tension do you recommend me?

btw, I`m a baseliner player with emphasis in topspin.

PED
08-18-2007, 09:28 AM
I would use 55 again as the strings should be similar. I've used big ace from 53 to 56 and and ended up preferring 54 or 55. My age is similar to yours and at 42 I don't want my arm to suffer. There are considerations you take into account in your 40's that you don't even dream of at 25. :) I do prefer the 17g big ace to the 16 however, to be fair, I've only used the 16g in a hybrid. I used the 17g as a full poly job and loved it: I got great durablity and the performance was solid. Nice spin, comfy and good control. I've also had both 16 and 17 blue gear as well and prefer the 17 blue gear there as well. As Jonolau explained elsewhere on this forum, the blue gear actually plays like a thinner string because of the geared contruction of the string. I think you will like both big ace and blue gear. In the end, I decided I preferred the blue gear as it is only a little more expensive and I prefer the action I get on the ball. Good luck

HappyLefty
08-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks PED.
I forgot to mention I`m 42. Sadly I need to updte my signature.

bruiser
08-18-2007, 11:32 AM
I have tried both Big Ace 17 and Blue Gear 17 and I enjoy both string very much. I would probably string both of them at 55 so you can compare them with your SPPP without adding the tension variable in the comparison. If you decide you like Big Ace or Blue Gear over SPPP, then play around with the tensions the next time you string. I strung the Big Ace at 56. I think SPPP is a touch softer so I would not string the Big Ace much higher. Blue Gear is a stiffer string than Big Ace so you might prefer 54. Then again, you may love each of them at 55. Good luck.

HappyLefty
08-18-2007, 12:10 PM
I have tried both Big Ace 17 and Blue Gear 17 and .
Have you tested the 16 gauge version?
If yes, have you noticed any important difference?

PBODY99
08-18-2007, 12:29 PM
I've found that the tension range between the two to be the same for my hybird setups. So I would go with 55.

bruiser
08-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Have you tested the 16 gauge version?
If yes, have you noticed any important difference?

I have not tried the 16 gauge version of either string.

Yonex.
08-18-2007, 07:28 PM
I might get it, I'm gonna string it 60 full set. If not full, ill go for 60 mains polyester, and synthetic gut at 62 crosses. Just my setup If I might get it.

HappyLefty
08-19-2007, 04:39 AM
I might get it, I'm gonna string it 60 full set. If not full, ill go for 60 mains polyester, and synthetic gut at 62 crosses. Just my setup If I might get it.

What racquet are you using?
Don`t you have any arm issue because of this tension?

PED
08-19-2007, 04:46 AM
I've been using some demo racquets for the last few days which were strung with syn gut (not my fav). I have been very aware of how much i had to stay on top of my forehand to keep in from landing long with the s gut. I just had a first hit yesterday with my restrung full blue gear and I had almost forgotten how much action you get on the ball. I've been using mostly big ace for the last month and half and while it's really nice, blue gear does kick butt. The 17 is awesome. Inside out forehands could just be ripped and they would still catch the line. I think you're really going to like the strings.

Pusher
08-19-2007, 05:02 PM
I've found that with Big Ace (1.25), if I string at 60lbs it loses tension to about 55lbs within a very short time. Strung at 55lbs there is no appreciable tension loss even after a few hrs play time. I suspect that anything beteen 54-57lbs` is the optimal tension for this string.

jonolau
08-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Hey friends,
I have a set of Big Ace and another of Blue Gear (gauge 16). My first test is for Big Ace and I don`t want to underrate this new string because of a wrong tension.
Take a look at my signature and you`ll see I`m using SPPP 17@55 lbs. in my Volkl DNX V1 midplus.

Hi HappyLefty,

Just stick with the tension that you've always been using. As PED has said, it should be no different.

Using your previous tension will also provide you with a personal reference point to work off.

Fedace
08-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Hey friends,

I just bought blue gear due to such high praise in this forum. I am going to string it at 70lbs and see what happens. Do you think this is good tension ? i string all my rackets at 70lbs

jonolau
08-20-2007, 08:49 AM
I just bought blue gear due to such high praise in this forum. I am going to string it at 70lbs and see what happens. Do you think this is good tension ? i string all my rackets at 70lbs

What is your current string?

HappyLefty
08-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Hi HappyLefty,

Just stick with the tension that you've always been using. As PED has said, it should be no different.
Using your previous tension will also provide you with a personal reference point to work off.

Fine, I`ll stick with my curent tension to see how it works.
Next week I`ll post my impressions.

HappyLefty
08-27-2007, 08:43 AM
OK guys, my final veredict.

I tried Big Ace for one hour with terrible results (#16 - @55lbs). This is a very elastic string, very spongy and myt shots were unpredictable. My topspin was out of control, my slice seems to be like a loop near the net :( .
No control at all. After my hitting session I went rapildy to my stringer to cut my string and try the Blue Gear next day.

With Blue Gear (#16 - @55lbs) the story is less dramatic. As I mentioned before, I use to play with spin and this string is a plus in this area. The spin production is very similar to Pro Hurricane Tour but with more comfort and better price. Shots are very predictable and I recovered my BH slice ;) At net with good control and precision. How long is going to last my honey moon with BG? Not sure. Letīs see how long last the shape that produces this kind of spin. Final comment: Great string (at this time) for my game. If variables remain stables (spin, tension, comfort) Iīll buy a reel next month.

Any comment?

PED
08-27-2007, 08:50 AM
I know how you feel my friend :)
I used 16g blue gear and loved it. I used 17g Big ace and loved it. I went to the 16g big ace in a multi hybrid and didn't like it. I then went back to 17g big ace and liked it alot. Finally I tried 17g blue gear and liked it but I couldn't drive through the ball like i could with the 16g blue gear. After that wore out, I've now switched to a big ace 16g hybrid with titan syn gut crosses and it seems to be the best of both worlds. I was really driving the ball today. I've got some tough opponents this weekend lined up so i'll see how it goes. I used the same tension you did (55 lbs) when i used the 16g blue gear and did like it. I'm leery now of using the 17g blue gear in a hybrid as it's not as firm as the 16g. My current take on my hybrid is just like yours: Great string (at this time but I reserve the right to change my mind) Part of my overall problem in comparing is that I've always used 16g in the past and it's not always a direct apples to apples comparison with the 17g. Thanks for posting your feedback. It's nice to know how others are faring. Experimenting with string is fun but sometimes frustrating.

wksoh
08-28-2007, 04:15 AM
Hey friends,

I tried Big Ace 17g 57lbs on my Aeropro and it was underpowered... I'm considering 54 or 55 now.

I tried Pacific Polyspin 17g at 55 and it flew on me and had no control... Hope Big Ace would be ok at 55.

PED
08-28-2007, 04:30 AM
Big ace should be good at 55. I've played with it from 53 up to 57 and 55 seems just about right, but 53 seemed to lack just that little bit of control.

wksoh
08-28-2007, 06:22 AM
Big ace should be good at 55. I've played with it from 53 up to 57 and 55 seems just about right, but 53 seemed to lack just that little bit of control.

Thanks for the tip ^^

TennezSport
08-28-2007, 06:44 AM
Tension, racquets and string are such a personal thing. I have tried Pro Supex' Big, Premier Ace, and Blue Gear in 16g and found that I had to string it at 50lbs M and 47.5 X to get the feel and spin in my RDS 002s.

If you go to the Pro Supex website (proSupex.com) you will see the recommended tension is 50 -54 lbs for those strings. So it really comes down to racquet used and personal preference.

TennezSport :cool: