PDA

View Full Version : I serve with semi-western?!?!?

drhopz
08-18-2007, 10:35 AM
It's hard for me to use continental. I use semi western to serve, and instead of pronation, i rotate the other way. It creates an odd spin on the ball. My friend says i serve like a lefty, but i'm a righty. Is this normal?

Voltron
08-18-2007, 10:38 AM
It sounds like you're hitting a reverse serve, which can be effective, but it's probably better to learn continental.

drhopz
08-18-2007, 11:01 AM
It sounds like you're hitting a reverse serve, which can be effective, but it's probably better to learn continental.

Yea, I dont know how i started to change my grip to semi western. It was a gradual and unnoticeable change.

AceofBase
08-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Strange, but dont worried one of my friend does that too. Its spin the opposite of a slice, its curve in instead of going out like a slice. Which i could do that too, cause i wanted to use everything in its advance, not like its cheating or something. Just keep your serve and master it!

wihamilton
08-18-2007, 11:10 AM
use a continental grip. you need to learn how to pronate properly if you want to develop a modern / effective serve.

WildVolley
08-18-2007, 11:12 AM
I've seen players serve with a bit of pace with the semi-western grip, but, much like hitting a forehand, they need to hit the ball farther in front of them and lower than with a continental.

The continental allows you to hit the ball higher in the air, so it offers more angles and pace. There really isn't an advantage to hitting the semi-western serve unless you like the underspin serve, which I find is too inconsistent because of the flat angle. For some beginners, it is a better second serve than a dink.

bizzle
08-18-2007, 01:22 PM
I use to do the exact same thing. My coaches blew and didnt teach us anything, so i was serving semi western the whole time without knowing it was improper. I could serve it REAL fast too. Once I finally took private lessons, the pro told me that ill need shoulder surgery in a couple years if i keep serving like that, not sure if its true. Either way i advise you switch to continental. Once you get good at it, you will hit more powerful and more of your serves will get in. It was REALLY hard for me to switch at first because it felt like trying to serve with a tomahawk.

When i served semi western, id have my toss in more and low. Try tossing the ball higher and out a bit more and it will be easier to pronate. You just NEED to pronate or serving continental will seem impossible, it did for me at first.

TennisFrkJC92
08-18-2007, 01:39 PM
It's not bad if you are in the beginner-intermediate range but once you improve, you'll find that your serves become quite predictable with a SW serve. That's why pros use continental. Continental also gives more pace and spin in my opinion. And if you're using a semi western, you're feet are probably pointing to the net instead of being sideways to it.

Try gradually switching to a continental grip on your serve.

Go from SW to Eastern, then eastern to continental.
Continental is much more effective.

Gantz
08-18-2007, 02:35 PM
your opponents won't know what hit them. if you really have trouble mastering continental, try using eastern first. then gradually make the change.

jonline
08-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I can hit spin serves with continental, but I just can't get how to hit a flat(ish) serve with that grip. Topspin-slice is doable, but does anyone have any tips for hitting a flat serve with continental (vs. semi-western)?

dave333
08-18-2007, 04:09 PM
I tried serving with continental the other day, and it flew into the other court.

I urge you to switch to continental to become a better player. Even eastern would be decent. I've seen some girls with decent serves with eastern grip, but have never seen a good semi-western serve except for tursonov's reverse serve.

Hobomagic
08-19-2007, 09:45 AM
You have to switch to continental or your progress will halt. Its just not possible to serve SW. I strongly urge you to switch. Keep at it it may take a couple of hours to find your rythm but there is a huge diffrence especially in terms of power.