PDA

View Full Version : Best way to hit a ball that has no pace

andymac1
08-18-2007, 12:02 PM
I recently played a kid in a tournament that hit very slow balls which had some topspin on it. I was able to hit the ball back with large amounts of topspin but it was still difficult for me to hit them with more pace. Any ideas on how I should go about generating pace on the ball when I'm hitting a ball that has little pace in the first place (assume the ball isn't an approach shot)?

WildVolley
08-18-2007, 01:10 PM
There's not a lot more to it than using aggressive footwork to get into place quickly. Use a controlled backswing, move your weight forward into the shot or pivot aggressively, keep your head still, and control the racquet face. Being able to place the ball with reasonable pace is more important than obliterating it if you are trying to win a match. Especially if you don't give away which corner you're hitting to until the stroke is already in motion.

You have to be able to generate racquet head speed by yourself to do this well. On the forehand, I really go for that feel of pulling the racquet into the ball.

The main thing is not to be wild. Jumping into the shot and trying to slam it down usually won't work for you unless you've really practiced that put away. Even then it is high risk.

By necessity I've gotten good at developing my own pace because I've played a lot of people that are pushers and coached beginners. I enjoy playing pushers now because it gives me the opportunity to hit a lot of winners.

Kobble
08-18-2007, 01:29 PM
The first thing I would do is search for the easy way out. Is he only able to generate these balls that give you trouble on one wing, or in a specific wheelhouse. If so, stay away from that area. Don't allow him to produce it to begin with, and don't allow him/her to do it again after they have done so. If they have no weakness, then follow what the guy above said.

As an example, if I don't practice, I am better at putting away lower balls. I can handle high balls on either wing, but I can't crush them precisely enough to make it a smart strategy. So, I wait for a short ball, or an error.

DraGoNoFfiR3
08-18-2007, 02:13 PM
good footwork basically.

usually slow paced balls mess up your footwork because they destroy your rhythm. just practice controlling your movement.

dave333
08-18-2007, 04:10 PM
You need to drive through the ball more. Can't spin the ball too much, or it gets dumped into the net.

Trinity TC
08-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Try to hit the ball before it reaches the peak of its bounce. It's amazing how much energy your opponent's shot loses once it starts on the descent after the bounce.

Tennis_Monk
08-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Are you having difficulty generating pace? what is your game style? Do you rely on Opponents power to generate pace?

koopa_troopa
08-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Try to hit the ball before it reaches the peak of its bounce. It's amazing how much energy your opponent's shot loses once it starts on the descent after the bounce.

I agree, hitting as it rises is probably the best way to get both power and topspin on an already slow ball.

Rickson
08-19-2007, 12:51 AM
I recently played a kid in a tournament that hit very slow balls which had some topspin on it. I was able to hit the ball back with large amounts of topspin but it was still difficult for me to hit them with more pace. Any ideas on how I should go about generating pace on the ball when I'm hitting a ball that has little pace in the first place (assume the ball isn't an approach shot)?

I love no pace balls sent my way! Agassi was a gifted shotmaker who could generate a lot of pace with a very compact takeback. Most of us are not like Agassi so wind up that takeback and pound that ball!

fuzz nation
08-19-2007, 07:46 AM
If you're comfortable with taking a ball earlier when it's on the rise, you can get more control of the ball than when it peaks and "sputters out". You get very little bite and control on a ball that's barely moving.

Pushers test your patience because their slow balls can be tough to add much power to. Be especially aware of your throttle with these shots and make the effort to generate spin that will keep your shots down on the court. Win points with placement and avoid being suckered into donating points by overcooking routine shots.

Redflea
08-19-2007, 02:08 PM
You need to drive through the ball more. Can't spin the ball too much, or it gets dumped into the net.

This helps me the most, along w/taking the ball on the rise, or at worst at it's peak. I envision hitting the ball as if it is several inches in front of where it actually is. That helps me to drive through it effectively.