PDA

View Full Version : Is radek stepanek a S&V'er?

AznHylite
08-18-2007, 12:04 PM
I saw one of his matches and realized he rushed the net quite a bit, but had a 2HBH which is sort of awkward.

J-man
08-18-2007, 12:07 PM
He's not a Serve and volleyer persay. But he does seve and volley alot during his matches. But he does stay back and play the baseline. He's more like an all court player. x

lethalfang
08-18-2007, 12:40 PM
prototypical all-court player

AznHylite
08-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Ahhhhh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Jack Romeo
08-19-2007, 05:44 AM
he is the closest thing to a serve and volleyer in singles play, along with the likes of henman, bjorkman and mirnyi. but yes, the more correct term for these players is all-court player

tennis_hand
08-19-2007, 06:44 AM
I saw one of his matches and realized he rushed the net quite a bit, but had a 2HBH which is sort of awkward.

why having a 2hbh is awkward for a S&Ver?
your comments are awkward.

AznHylite
08-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Well, the way I see it, most 2HBH players develop awkward methods when at net. Such as the 2HBH volley, or just feeling uncomfortable. Of course, you can get rid of it with coaching and lessons I guess.

anointedone
08-19-2007, 02:25 PM
He is an all court player.

federerfanatic
08-19-2007, 06:04 PM
For old standards he would be an all court player. For todays standards he is a serve/volleyer, since he comes to net more then 95% of most players, even if it is still less then 50% of the time possibly in points that get past the serve.

lethalfang
08-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Well, the way I see it, most 2HBH players develop awkward methods when at net. Such as the 2HBH volley, or just feeling uncomfortable. Of course, you can get rid of it with coaching and lessons I guess.

What makes you think 2HBH players develop awkward volley or are uncomfortable at the net?
As far as my personal experience is concerned, you are either comfortable at the net or you are not. Your net game comfort level is very much independent from your baseline comfort level, regardless of the backhand methods.

tennispro11
08-19-2007, 06:43 PM
What makes you think 2HBH players develop awkward volley or are uncomfortable at the net?
As far as my personal experience is concerned, you are either comfortable at the net or you are not. Your net game comfort level is very much independent from your baseline comfort level, regardless of the backhand methods.

Well said. Play with a 2hbh. Love to play doubles and I am very comfortable at net. I don't think that it matters on one of two hands. Only if your comfortable at net. Stepanek is an excellent volleyer.

rod99
08-19-2007, 06:49 PM

sampras switched from a 2 handed backhand to a one handed backhand in the juniors so he had a better chance of winning wimbledon. it's well known that players with one handed backhands are more comfortable at net.

krz
08-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Typically all-courters and S&V players have been 1-handers. Don't get on the guy hes just observing the trends.

Is it any more effective than a two hander? For an all courter/S&V probably because gives more variety and better disguise on slices.

fastdunn
08-19-2007, 09:06 PM
There is no S&Ver in today's tennis. That's a dead word.

Even today's all courter has different definition from old one.

kingkong
08-19-2007, 09:25 PM
mario ancic ahs a pretty good volley

lethalfang
08-20-2007, 10:35 AM
^^^

That's the question. Chicken or eggs.
There were more all-court players and true serve-and-volley players in the past, due to different racquets, strings, and surfaces. There were also almost exclusively one-handers in the past, due to methods of instructions.
How, there are fewer all-court players and virtually no serve-and-volleyers in the present.

Having 1-hand backhand and playing the net, although correlated in eras, do not necessarily cause one another.
Actually, it's neither chicken of egg. They are not related.