PDA

View Full Version : Where will Sharapova end the year ranked?

anointedone
08-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Maria Sharapova is currently World #2, but only #4 in the WTA's race to Sony Ericsson Championships, the WTA version of ATP RACE.

In the year round ranking she is a substantial amount behind Justine Henin already after this week, and Justine's Pilot Pen points coming off, and while Justine has a U.S Open final and year end Championships title to defend, she played no tournaments in between those events due to injury. Maria Sharapova by contrast has a huge collection of points to defend, including her U.S Open title. Pretty safe to say there is practicaly no chance of Justine being caught by Maria.

Maria currently is behind Jankovic in the WTA Race by about 1000 points, however Jankovic has already exceeded the best 17 counting tournaments by 4, playing 21, and any result now that is not outside her 17 best points-wise will result in her losing some points, the bottom remaining counting tournament whatever that is. Ivanovic is ahead by about 400 points, but with 15 tournaments played she is nearing the point she will have some tournament points dropped, but in her case she may not go over 17 by much so it may be only the worst tournaments of her year and very minor points dropped off.

Behind Maria is Kuznetsova, Serena, and Chakvetadze by from 50 to 250 points. Chakvetadze is now at 15 tournaments, Kuznetsova at 13, so they could pass the 17 mark, particularly Chakvetadze, but likely like Ivanovic it would only be any very minor points dropped. Venus is about 600 points back in the Race, and probably wont play enough or consistent enough to catch up.

Sharapova though is a very good indoor player, or has been in the past. She seems to be shaky and vurnerable right now though. So where will Maria end the year ranked?

princess bossass
08-18-2007, 01:27 PM
I voted 5, but on second thought, 6. I think Jankovic, Chakvetadze, Ivanovic, and Serena will all pass her.

I think she would have held #2 without all the injuries, but that's the way it looks for now, to me.

masha4ever#1
08-18-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm a huge Maria fan and I wish she would be #1 at the end of the year but honestly I don't think that's possible. Justine is too far away to get caught by Maria, and she plays too consistent either. Fortunately Masha is a great hardcourt and indoor player so I'm pretty sure that she'll gain a lot of points on those surfaces and will stay #2 at the end of the year.

C'mon Maria!!!!!!!:D

phoony
08-19-2007, 05:33 AM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/kasia1992/50647649_East_west_Classic.jpg

Sounds like we were the only supporters in these forum.
Doesn't matter as we will always continuing supporting
you........right my buddies ;) there .

daddy
08-19-2007, 07:20 AM
She will be ranked between shopping mole in Dubai and lets say some hockey player, Russian but who plays in NHL for 5 yeaars. Or there about. I doubt shell score enough points for a singer, son of a famous latino singer.

ilovecarlos
08-19-2007, 07:38 AM
She will be ranked between shopping mole in Dubai and lets say some hockey player, Russian but who plays in NHL for 5 yeaars. Or there about. I doubt shell score enough points for a singer, son of a famous latino singer.

Very clever daddy! Very funny too....but you know that Yuri would NEVER tolerate that from his cash cow.....Moooooooooooooooo;)

princess bossass
08-19-2007, 09:49 AM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/kasia1992/50647649_East_west_Classic.jpg

I support her, Phoony--I really support all the players. She's one of my faves, I'm just trying to be realistic about her. I don't want to rain on your parade. :grin:

masha4ever#1
08-19-2007, 02:05 PM

You are damn right! Fortunately you are a Masha fan too, cause I felt pretty alone out there the last days. Yeah I will always support her and I guess you too:D.

Btw Maria has won the US Open series. Congratulations!!!!!!!
C'mon ...I'm pretty looking forward to the USO...so excited....Hope Masha'll defend her title.

GO MARIA!!!!!!

masha4ever#1
08-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Here is one of my fav Maria pics

Hope you like it !!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/hyper666/young45.jpg

Mike Bulgakov
08-19-2007, 02:14 PM
A lot of points are coming up as she won the U.S. Open last year.

navratilovafan
08-19-2007, 06:11 PM
The votes here are way generous I feel. Jankovic is far in front of Sharapova in the "Race to the Championships" points. While the surfaces Sharapova loves we are into now, and continue to the end of the year, she isnt playing with the confidence she is going to that much better, if at all, then Jankovic, especialy the way Jankovic is playing now. I cant see anyway she ends the year ranked over Jankovic, unless Jelena gets hurt.

The biggest battle I feel will be between her and Ivanovic for the #3 ranking. Serena and Venus will probably pull their usual dissapearing acts most of the rest of the year, they each won a slam this year, so they are probably satisfied, of course they will fight still especialy in the slams, but not be so focused and entrenched on the rest of the year. They might do something big at the U.S Open although I wouldnt bet on it, and even that may not carry them in the points the way it works. Kuznetsova wont pass any of the current top 4 I dont think.

phoony
08-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Here is one of my fav Maria pics

Hope you like it !!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/hyper666/young45.jpg

Thanks for the pic...........by the way what tournament is that??? Birmingham :confused: .

Rafa freak
08-19-2007, 07:12 PM
#1 I hope....

anointedone
08-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Jelena Jankovic is now only 416 points behind Sharapova. If Jankovic does even one round better then Sharapova, assuming it is a 2nd week result I believe, she will pass Sharapova after the U.S Open. Then after the U.S Open, Sharapova has 2 more titles to defend, before the year end Championships where she lost in the semis last year.

masha4ever#1
08-20-2007, 04:58 AM
No, it's Nagoya 2002;)

Alexandros
08-20-2007, 06:03 AM
I don't believe she'll win the US Open this year. Ivanovic and Jankovic will probably finish ahead of her, so 4th most likely.

masha4ever#1
08-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I don't believe she'll win the US Open this year. Ivanovic and Jankovic will probably finish ahead of her, so 4th most likely.

Ivanovic and Jankovic will never finish ahead of Maria. Masha is a flawless hardcourt player and will sweep Henin, Ivanovic, Williams, Jankovic & co off the court. You will see Maria is gonna win the US Open impressively.;)

GO Masha!!!:p

Alexandros
08-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Flawless hardcourt player? Is that why she got schooled by Serena 6-1 6-2 and 6-1 6-1 on hardcourts this year? If you total up all the games she won it's not even enough to take a single set...

anointedone
08-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Flawless hardcourt player? Is that why she got schooled by Serena 6-1 6-2 and 6-1 6-1 on hardcourts this year? If you total up all the games she won it's not even enough to take a single set...

Notice the name masha4ever#1. ;)

CyBorg
08-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Better than 1. She'll be at zero! :-)

daddy
08-20-2007, 08:32 PM

I suggested clinic after these defeats, seems like serena watches her on tv and then decides, this girl is showing off, lets kick some *** !

tennispro11
08-20-2007, 08:35 PM
I suggested clinic after these defeats, seems like serena watches her on tv and then decides, this girl is showing off, lets kick some *** !

It does kinda seem like whenever Sharapova has her moment of glory Serena runs it and takes it away. LOL!

phoony
08-20-2007, 08:53 PM
It does kinda seem like whenever Sharapova has her moment of glory Serena runs it and takes it away. LOL!

I gonna admit that she afraid to play those williams sister. Her leg shaken when facing them.

daddy
08-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Well you are a hot shot and then lose in 45 mins taking only 2 games .. Would you be confident next time ?

blakealltheway
08-21-2007, 09:23 AM
The only one I think can pass her before the end of the year is Jankovic.....therefore she finishes the year at #3.

masha4ever#1
08-21-2007, 11:06 AM

I've already said it 1000times, but I will do it once again. Masha struggled with a hamstring and shoulder injury when she lost to Serena. There was no chance for Maria to play her best tennis. Without all the injuries Masha is by far the greatest hardcourt player. And btw who has won the US Open series? Right: Sharapova!
Hopefully Maria will meet one of the Williams' sisters and kick her ***!!!!!!!

C'mon Masha ;)

federerfanatic
08-21-2007, 12:10 PM
I've already said it 1000times, but I will do it once again. Masha struggled with a hamstring and shoulder injury when she lost to Serena. There was no chance for Maria to play her best tennis. Without all the injuries Masha is by far the greatest hardcourt player. And btw who has won the US Open series? Right: Sharapova!
Hopefully Maria will meet one of the Williams' sisters and kick her ***!!!!!!!

C'mon Masha ;)

You just keep dreaming all of that (except for the fact she won the silly Open Series race with 1 medium tournament title no less). ;)

masha4ever#1
08-21-2007, 12:23 PM
You just keep dreaming all of that (except for the fact she won the silly Open Series race with 1 medium tournament title no less). ;)

Oh yeah she won the "silly Open Series race" but in your opinoin the official "USO preparation tournaments" aren't meaningful? (funny stuff) Btw what's about those "unbelievable" williams' sisters....are they to comfortable to play any tournaments???

(San Diego wasn't a medium tournament....Maria won impressively)

phoony
08-22-2007, 08:10 AM

We were not dreaming.............we believe in her ability and credibility to do it once again ;).

masha4ever#1
08-22-2007, 08:21 AM
We were not dreaming.............we believe in her ability and credibility to do it once again ;).

exactly!!!! ;) Maria performed very well in San Diego and LA. So I think it isn't surprising that all Masha fans believe in her ability to do it once again. ;)

To all Maria critics:

You can say whatever you won't about Maria....her US Open achievements will shut up your mouths ;)

GO MARIA!!!!!!!!

federer envies me
08-22-2007, 08:37 AM
I think she will be number 2