PDA

View Full Version : Possible Racquets to Demo

gwrtheyrn
08-18-2007, 02:18 PM
My brother and I are looking to demo some racquets, and possibly buy them if appropriate.

I'm probably a 2.5-3.0 player (self-rate), and I play with my older brother's Prince Titanium Thundercloud (W/shock eraser). I swing moderately hard, but I tend to hold back because when I hit hard, the ball almost always goes long. I've tried out the ozone 7 for a little bit, but I really hated it, partially because the grip size wasn't exactly right (and it felt like a rectangle to me), but mostly because I think it swings way too light. If necessary, I don't believe an OS->MP switch would affect me too much, but I would have to adjust. (I hit with a semi-western forehand, since I like how it hits on forehand, and it hits okay on backhand when I forget to switch, which happens a lot). I'm looking for something that has some weight in it, but less power than what I have now.

My brother is not quite as good as me (usually around 6-4 6-3 on good days for both of us), and he plays with a Wilson US Open racquet (~$35 at walmart). He says that no matter how he tries, he is unable to produce much topspin (which may be due to the painted strings, but since it's $25 to restring with PSGD, it's not really worth it to do so [As a side note, I've been contemplating getting a low end dropweight]). So, he's developed more of a flat hitting style, but would like to be able to put spin on the ball. He is also looking for a more control/less power racquet that feels lighter. MP or OS

Btw, I'd rather not buy a PD, since like half of the people that play around here seem to have one...apparently one of my friends got one really cheap at a garage sale, though.

Possible Racquets to demo:
Head Liquidmetal OS or MP
Mfil 200 or 300
TT Warrior
Prince Tour NXG

If anyone has any other suggestions, or believes that any of these wouldn't be appropriate, please do comment. If anyone doesn't understand what I typed (I'm not clear sometimes), ask. BTW, I'd like to keep under $100, if possible, but could go over a little if needed (all of the above were taken from the TW on sale racquet list. I've seen recommendations for all of them except the NXG, which my brother wants to try).

rosenstar
08-18-2007, 02:58 PM
out of those listed, I'd recommend either the head liquidmetal (I'm assuming it's a radical, correct me if I'm wrong) or the Mfil 300. The other frames are more demanding and you may not yet be ready for them yet.

I also suggest you take lessons if you can, or find some other way to develope your technique. hitting with topspin is often times the result of one's stroke and swing path.

fuzz nation
08-18-2007, 03:41 PM
You seem to be on the right track with your demo ideas. The heavy version of the MFil 200 may not be to your liking, but I think the others are worth a try. Both the TT Warrior and midplus NXG from Prince are examples of frames with more spin than "pop" on tap - some like that because they can take a full swing and keep the ball down on the court. The Pure Drive takes you in the other direction and has lots of gas in the tank.

The NXG gets some bad feedback here because it's a bit on the "dead" or "muted" feeling side of the street. I've found that to be sort of true, but it doesn't bother me and I string mine 2-4 lbs above the max rec'd tension so that the stringbed isn't too mushy - I get really nice feel and control from it like that.

Keep track of the racquets you try and you'll be able to figure out what works for you in terms of weight, balance, flexibility, etc. Plenty of good frames are floating around in the classifieds here and a little trial and error ought to get you home.

canuckfan
08-18-2007, 04:26 PM
For some reason this stick doesn't seem to get much love. Maybe people get weirded out by the extra .25 inches. In any case, the Mfil 400 is an excellent tweener that has slightly more power than the 300. It is also a great value. Don't get turned off by the stiffness rating either, this racquet is comfortable. If you're considering a demo, take the 300 and 400 out together before you make up your mind. I'm guessing the 200 is too advanced for you, although the 16x19 version may be worth a shot.

gwrtheyrn
08-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks for your input :). I'll probably try to get the NXG, Liquidmetal Rad (Trying to decide on head size), and the m-fil 300 through the TW demo system, and then go from there

Currently, both of us play with an OS racquet. Would you say that switching to MP wouldn't be too hard? (I don't think it would be, but I could be wrong) :confused:

gwrtheyrn
08-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Oh, and I guess I messed up my self rate, after reading the thing again (last time I read it was a couple months ago). I'd rate myself around 3.0-4.0, but I don't think that'll make a difference...and my brother's about 3.0-3.5

And a question: where did the "edit" button go?