PDA

View Full Version : I need strategies in general!

Steven87
08-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Heres my problem, I can setup the point by making my opponent have trouble (ie side to side movement), but I can't finish the damn point off! Please help

Vision84
08-18-2007, 03:51 PM
You may be tightening up with your finishing shot or just going for to much. Make sure you are relaxed and don't get over anxious.

fuzz nation
08-18-2007, 04:18 PM
If you have the shots you need to get opponents on the run, either just keep them running until they miss or wait for a short ball that you can follow to net. Once I get an opponent totally on defense, I know I can jump on the net pretty quickly and finish a point.

If you stay camped more on the baseline, then you need to be patient. You need to be double-secret-extra-specially patient and keep picking on their weaknesses so that you'll outlast them. If you can resist going for low percentage winners too often, you won't donate points. Be patient!

Brad Gilbert's book Winning Ugly is a good guide to the process of going after an opponent's weaknesses with your strengths while protecting your weaknesses and keeping your opponent's weapons less accessible. Each person you play against is a different puzzle like that and you need to figure it out before "game, set, match".

base_liner
08-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Heres my problem, I can setup the point by making my opponent have trouble (ie side to side movement), but I can't finish the damn point off! Please help

or if you can get them on the run like you say you can just rush the net on and finish it... like take some pace off the ball so it goes slower and just get to net faster

dave333
08-18-2007, 04:56 PM
As you move them side to side, you are eventually going to get a weak ball. Hit an approach shot. When hitting the approach shot, DO NOT go for too much. Take a relaxed swing and hit the ball to open court or just go down the line. If you hit the ball well or hit it in a very nice spot, you might not get a return at all. If you hit it decently, you should get a volley that you should be able to put away.

Off The Wall
08-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Are you sure your opponents are in trouble? Many players glide side to side easily and are not in any trouble at all.

Tennis_Monk
08-18-2007, 07:09 PM
We need more details. how did you try to finish the point and how did it not work out?. Eg: If you try to go for a DTL winner and you hit the net or Long always, then a remedy could be recommended.
However regardless of what you try, it didnt matter and you always (majority) lost the point, then mental aspects could be considerer.

Please post more details and i am sure some experts here can provide remedial measures.

Tempyst
08-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Usually, you would want to maintain a cross-court rally. Why? Few reasons:

1. You're hitting a longer part of the court than DTL. Therefore it is safer.

2. If you go DTL and you're opponent is ready for it, he/she can cut you off much more easily than when hitting cross-court

3. As you are hitting cross-court, you can start to create sharper angles, pulling your opponent off the court. If you are slowly being pulled off court through cross-court shots, you have several options.
a. You can create an even sharper angle to open up for option B.
b. Hitting DTL; if both you and your opponent are being forced into the corner, throwing a DTL can force your opponent to scramble and for you to get yourself repositioned for his off-balanced shot

4. Similar to the first reason: Hitting crosscourt gives you more time, because of the longer length.

I once shared a similar mindset of "running down the opponent side-to-side" when I was less experienced. Trust me, it isn't effective against an opponent who is able to run down your balls. Instead, you're exposing your strategy to them. They can anticipate much better knowing you are just trying to make them run. This isn't always wrong though, as you can fake them out. The problem is that at lower levels, there isn't enough pace on the balls to put your opponents in danger. Ask these questions: are the balls deep and contain enough pace to really grind your opponent? Or are they just high/paceless balls that do make them move, but give little pressure? You're also increasing your chances of unforced errors trying to change directions of your strokes.

If there has to be one thing that you can only practice, it should be your volleys. Why?

A simple strategy for putting away balls is to move in after getting a short ball. All your approach shots do NOT have to be DTL. Consider your opponent's position first. Is he/she at the center of the baseline? Or are they in a corner? Are they scrambling for the center as you are about to hit your approach shot? There is little point of hitting DTL for an approach shot if your opponent is only a step or two away from the ball. It just puts YOU in unnecessary risk of being passed. After moving in, what are you doing? Volleys of course. This is why I say it's so important to get comfortable volleying. I always kept in mind to practice volleys whenever I could, but my peers would always prefer rallies or games. My volleys suffered quite a bit, and I'm paying for not putting extra time into volleys now. I would have difficulty just putting an overhead in or an easy floating ball. Why? I wasn't used to the timing at net. It frustrates me still today.

Or another way is to just throw in a dropshot from a short ball. Hitting any dropshot isn't good though. Like I said before, you have to consider where your opponent is situated before you decide on a shot/direction.

These are just some basic tips that my coach and I came up with as he taught me. Hope it helps :)

Gantz
08-18-2007, 08:07 PM
pfft. who needs strategies? just lob the ball when the sun's in your opponent's eyes.

DarkTennis
08-18-2007, 08:50 PM
i dunno these are strategy i use probably almost common sense dunno will help or not:

1.drop shot->lob or passing shot(depending on location)
2.hit repeatedly to one side until he/she gives or is to far from center of court ->follow by straight passing shot( more effective/faster/cover less area) or cross court(perfer straight)
3.side to side-> drop shot or slowly move up to finish with volley or wear them down with side to side or change with shots and lob out of no where but not exagerated easy lob for easy put away...just enough to move him/her move back alittle and off poistion
4.defend all shots and hit back to them the same way they hit back....somtimes this causes them to be off balance because they wont expect you to hit back to them
5.do fakes like do somthing you do often but exagerate it a bit and hit it the other way

and if there too good then their just too good:P
i dunno thats all i know, hope it helps

[edit]also i think tennis.com has some strategy in your game....dunno will help or not