PDA

View Full Version : Face it, it's done...for good

Steven87
08-18-2007, 03:02 PM
No matter how good Safin plays, he's too late. If he played his best right now, compared to him playing his best back then, its a completely different best. So stop saying Safin is still unpredictable because he will never win the big ones again. On top of that, he's still the nutjob he once was. Stop trying to sound like he can still beat anyone when he's at his best

tennispro11
08-18-2007, 03:06 PM
No matter how good Safin plays, he's too late. If he played his best right now, compared to him playing his best back then, its a completely different best. So stop saying Safin is still unpredictable because he will never win the big ones again. On top of that, he's still the nutjob he once was. Stop trying to sound like he can still beat anyone when he's at his best

Dude, what the heck are you talking about? Who's been saying that he can still beat anyone when he's at his best? I think you need to pull your panties out a bunch, take a step back, and relax. :p

Steven87
08-18-2007, 03:07 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=151301

Last post

tennispro11
08-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Well if it's the US Open were talking about, Safin could be considered a contender, since he has won it before. BTW, they are just talking the USO, not any other tournament. Any former champ would be a contender, and could probably make a good run to the second week.

Challenger
08-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Well if it's the US Open were talking about, Safin could be considered a contender, since he has won it before. BTW, they are just talking the USO, not any other tournament. Any former champ would be a contender, and could probably make a good run to the second week.

Safin won it back in '01, and hasn't even come close since then. I think his last year's 4th round exit was his best USO attempt in years. Hell, he's barely been a factor in any of the slams (or even masters events, for that matter) since his last big win at Australia.

If Safin ends up making some noise this year, I'll be surprised (and pleased). But really, he'll probably see another early round exit again, if he can't get his head on straight.

Mike Bulgakov
08-18-2007, 04:12 PM
If Marat decides to pull an Agassi and get in great shape, he could well have several more majors in him. Of course, he is probably in a club as I write, a beer in hand and talking to a model. He has a pretty good life as things are.

daddy
08-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Safin won it back in '01, and hasn't even come close since then. I think his last year's 4th round exit was his best USO attempt in years. Hell, he's barely been a factor in any of the slams (or even masters events, for that matter) since his last big win at Australia.

If Safin ends up making some noise this year, I'll be surprised (and pleased). But really, he'll probably see another early round exit again, if he can't get his head on straight.

Whats the real diff between aussie and USO >? Court wise, experts only ?

thundaga
08-19-2007, 12:53 AM
Whats the real diff between aussie and USO >? Court wise, experts only ?

well i dont think theres going to be massive differences in the court surfaces anymore from next year, as the aus open is currently being resurfaced with plexicushion

(im not sure if this is the same, but about 20 years ago a v. similar surface was rejected because it was too similar to the us open and they believed it provided insufficient shock absorption)

this plexicushion is made by the same company who surfaced the us open.

aus open's old surface Rebound Ace, is quite tempermental, its characteristics seem to change with different weather conditions. it is a quite grippy surface and quite slow. a common criticism from players was that rod laver court played a lot different than the showcourts.

Mike Bulgakov
08-19-2007, 01:42 AM
well i dont think theres going to be massive differences in the court surfaces anymore from next year, as the aus open is currently being resurfaced with plexicushion

(im not sure if this is the same, but about 20 years ago a v. similar surface was rejected because it was too similar to the us open and they believed it provided insufficient shock absorption)

aus open's old surface Rebound Ace, is quite tempermental, its characteristics seem to change with different weather conditions. it is a quite grippy surface and quite slow. a common criticism from players was that rod laver court played a lot different than the showcourts.

Any idea if Plexicushion will be sticky like the old A.O. courts and how the new courts will take spin?

Mike Bulgakov
08-19-2007, 02:09 AM
What will distinguish the A.O. surface from Flushing in terms of how it plays?

saram
08-19-2007, 04:36 AM

I would love to see you eat your words here in a few weeks...;)

phoony
08-19-2007, 04:53 AM
He lack of confidence especially when facing those top seeds player.

daddy
08-19-2007, 06:01 AM

I knid of like this, thanks for the reply. I think there should be something like standards for clay, hard and grass. Slow clay, fast clay my ***. I dont like this, I like it like in the NBA = every court, every basket everything same so when you go out there you know what to expect. Thats just me. I look forward to only the surface colour being different and temperature and humidity but Id like it all the same on hards.

daddy
08-19-2007, 06:02 AM
He lack of confidence especially when facing those top seeds player.

He is lacking composure Id say, he wants so tome off injury and go to the top like a rocket. Anyways mentally he used to be a wreck, is one and will be, its just that its more obvious now than when he used to make a 3 - 4 matches streaks ..

War, Safin!
08-19-2007, 06:09 AM
Safin to win the US Open '07.
You heard it here first.

daddy
08-19-2007, 06:13 AM
Safin to win the US Open '07.
You heard it here first.

I like when peopel are optimistic, I still firmly believe he can knock few oponents in top few out, but hes far less consistent that aggasi coming back from his whatever and getting to nr 1. Thats what divides the best from the rest.

tennis_hand
08-19-2007, 06:42 AM

agree.

the right comment is, he probably can be beaten by anyone when he is on the court.

Leon22
08-19-2007, 06:45 AM
From what I saw at the Roger's cup... Safin has some good shots and his serve is huge and when he puts them together properly he wins some big points. But, he seems like a loose cannon always looking for the deep penetrating flat forehand that goes long 80% of the time.

He needs a sport psychologist or a coach who can help him settle his azz down when he feels pressure. He even admitted himself that he doesn't play top guys like Nadal or Federer so much anymore and that when he does he feels shaky playing them.

phoony
08-19-2007, 08:32 AM
He is lacking composure Id say, he wants so tome off injury and go to the top like a rocket. Anyways mentally he used to be a wreck, is one and will be, its just that its more obvious now than when he used to make a 3 - 4 matches streaks ..

If Safin would able to control his emotion on court then that maybe a chance for him to advance further. I wondering how many racquets that he going to damage ;) .

daddy
08-19-2007, 08:39 AM
If Safin would able to control his emotion on court then that maybe a chance for him to advance further. I wondering how many racquets that he going to damage ;) .

Do they charge him when he brakes those chairs or refridgerators besides the court?

West Coast Ace
08-19-2007, 08:54 AM
No matter how good Safin plays, he's too late. If he played his best right now, compared to him playing his best back then, its a completely different best.No idea how you can make that claim - and what you would back it up with. 27 isn't too old to play one's best. Am I betting my mortgage on it happening? No. But it could.

Well if it's the US Open were talking about, Safin could be considered a contender, since he has won it before. BTW, they are just talking the USO, not any other tournament. Any former champ would be a contender, and could probably make a good run to the second week.Amen. I have a lot of extra $$$$$$$$ in my wallet right now because one sports book in Vegas didn't realize this and had Venus at 12 to 1.

I would love to see you eat your words here in a few weeks...;)As much as I want to see Fed get to 15 to shut up the Sampras jock sniffers (and that probably still won't do it!), I wouldn't mind that either. Would be pretty cool actually.

...I like it like in the NBA = every court, every basket everything same so when you go out there you know what to expect. Uh, no. There are big differences in NBA courts. Stickiness of the floor, the bounce (there are dead spots on all courts), tight rims, loose rims, different shooting backgrounds... it's not just home court advantage because of the fans.

Ammo
08-19-2007, 09:16 AM

Actually, Safin won the title back in 2000 and the very next year lost in the semi-final to Sampras... not that it matters tho :-(

tennis_hand
08-19-2007, 05:24 PM
He needs a good coach and he needs to listen to his coach.
And the coach will tell him to control his temper and use the brain to think. But if he doesn't listen, then he is done for good.

I hope he looks at Hewitt and learn. Hewitt has come back pretty well this year.

daddy
08-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Uh, no. There are big differences in NBA courts. Stickiness of the floor, the bounce (there are dead spots on all courts), tight rims, loose rims, different shooting backgrounds... it's not just home court advantage because of the fans.

Are you sure >? If so thanks, I did not know this !