PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new Tennis Racquet

DavidG92
08-18-2007, 03:59 PM
I have been looking for anew tennis racquet but I am not sure which tennis racquets are a good choice for me. I have been looking at the Wilsons but am not willing to spend over $70 for a quality racquet. Could I have some imput, Thanks. By the way, I am 5 foot 5 and I have a medium build.

brayman9
08-18-2007, 04:38 PM
We need to know your skillz man;)

Basicly how good are you. Do you know what your NTRP is?

Hobomagic
08-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Probably wont be able to find a good new raquet for 70$. A good option is the mfil 200 or 300 wich are around 80$ and the liquidmetal radicals.

DavidG92
08-19-2007, 11:15 AM
I really only play for fun but I am going to try out for the tennis team this year but my skills are about 6.5 out of 10.

Moses Man
08-19-2007, 11:41 AM
10 equaling professional level?!?!?! I certainly hope not. If you were to equate 6.5/10 to the NTRP system, you'd be about 4.5... which is NOT someone who plays just for fun.

It's hard to find new racquets for under $70, but I'd recommend the Dunlop M-FIL 300 or the Head Liquidmetal 4 (which happens to be $69.95)...

Steve H.
08-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Plenty of possibilities under $70 at Tennis Warehouse! If you're just starting out get a big headsize (>102) which will make hitting the ball squarely less frustrating.

here are some possibilities: Prince Scream, Prince Bandit, Prince Warrior (all oversize versions) Dunlop 600G. Check out the TW web site, and look carefully at the "swingweight" number -- the higher it is the more solid the hit, but it also feels heavier to swing. It's a trade-off.

all of the models listed above are under $70 including shipping and string, and you can probably find others. They're so cheap because they are leftovers from previous seasons. Have fun!

gwrtheyrn
08-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Or you can get a thundercloud (It's OS as compared to the MP of the M-fil 300)...or look through TW's "sale" section, which has a bunch of discounted racquets

Azrael
08-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Haven't really specified what you want in a racquet either. Nor what's missing in what you're currently using. Those two things would help.

Anyway, I second both of Moses Man's recommendations and gwrtheyrn's suggestion to look through TW's "Liquidation" section.

DavidG92
08-20-2007, 05:45 AM
Thanks for all the help but to answer the question on what I am missing in my game is that I have a pretty weak backhand and and a pretty weak serve.

Ferrari1190
08-20-2007, 05:58 AM
try the Dunlop mfil 200 16 x 19

it helps with serves and backhands and it isn't that heavy

Final_Match_Point
08-20-2007, 06:17 AM
no racquet "helps" with a shot. Lets repeat No racquet Helps with a shot!

For you to get a racquet your actually going to be satisfied with, We need more information. Pretty weak backhand and serve isnt really doing much.

Do you hit with topspin on both wings? One or two handed backhand? Do you serve flat, top or slice??

Everything matters.

From the lack of information im guessing that you really dont know much about your game(Not meaning to be offensive here) and your a beginner.

For a beginner racquet that'l hold you for some time, I'd look to the prince Triple threat line. Mfil 400 or so should suit you as well.

Without more information I can't be sure, but It seems to me like your just putting the ball in play right now, which is good, but need to develop strokes

dricas24
08-20-2007, 06:35 AM
What would be some of the best racquets for a varied style?

python
08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
The Dunlop Mfil 300 is plays well for an all-court style, and like others have said, it's a bargain right now. You can add some lead tape to the racquet when you get better and add swing speed and can handle a heavier racquet, so you don't have to switch racquets.

Azrael
08-20-2007, 01:16 PM
I wasn't asking what you were missing in your game. I was asking what more you want from your racquet. Do you want more topspin? Something stable? Maneuverability? Power? Stuff like that.