PDA

View Full Version : King Fed- last 4 tournaments/3 surfaces/4finals

TheModernEra
08-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Not bad for a guy on the decline- who was the last player to make 3 consecutive finals on 3 separate surfaces? He is so consistent/so great, people just want to root against him. And most trolls in this forum will say "See, he is on the decline because he lost 2 of those finals!" while totally missing the point!

Fedexeon
08-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Yeah, i think 99% players will want a year like he has this year. 2 grand slams with US Open yet to play...

Challenger
08-18-2007, 05:54 PM
I can't see how anyone could hate the guy. He's as classy and respectful as they come.

I can, however, see why people root against him. He's been winning so much and so effortlessly, you'd like to have some other players get into the mix as well. It's no fun watching one player steamroll tournament after tournament. I don't wish for his game to decline (his play is like an art...it'd be a shame for that to degrade), but rather, I wish other players would improve and rise up to his level.

ninman
08-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Not bad for a guy on the decline- who was the last player to make 3 consecutive finals on 3 separate surfaces? He is so consistent/so great, people just want to root against him. And most trolls in this forum will say "See, he is on the decline because he lost 2 of those finals!" while totally missing the point!

Federer in 2004 was the first player since Borg to win 3 consecutive tournaments of 3 different surfaces. He won Wimbledon (grass), Gstaad (clay) and Toronto (hard), if he had won the French and Montreal he would have repeated it.

TheModernEra
08-18-2007, 06:13 PM
I agree with The Challenger. Federer's situation (until Nadal came along) was similar to Tiger Woods. I could not watch a golf tournament knowing ahead of time that not a single guy on tour had enough cojones to play their best when Tiger was playing his best, win or lose. Yeh, Tiger was always better, but the guys always ended up folding like a house of cards, and to watch it, was frustrating.

And would a coach have helped Federer win the French Open or last weeks final against the Joker? He seems to be doing ok to me.

Kim
08-18-2007, 06:14 PM
hahaha...exactly the point ModernEra...many of these "fans" are spoiled newbies.

tennispro11
08-18-2007, 06:19 PM

Well said. There are lots of idiots in this forum. We can't hold it against them for being morons.

saram
08-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Exactly. Nice to see someone else understands the Fed is not on a decline...

daddy
08-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Certanly agree. Also the reason why I think djokovic is good for getting alot of points and getting up the rankings, hard suits him, grass is good for him b/c of the serve and he has to improve coming in and volleying, once he does that hell be contender and he grew up on clay. We dont hava ANY other surface in serbia than clay. That is kind of a secret to his rapid rise, good hardcourt season and semis in slams on clay and grass.

Zaragoza
08-22-2007, 04:26 AM
I agree that Federer is not on the decline, just less brilliant than last year.
Anyway, on this board every player is considered on the decline after a few losses, not just Federer.

ninman
08-22-2007, 04:28 AM
Actually Federer has been to 5 consecutive finals now.

daddy
08-22-2007, 04:29 AM
This is really nothign odfd I have to tell. Its what we are used to bsee from the guy. Still a hot one for the USO !

caulcano
08-22-2007, 04:58 AM

Simply, if your favourite player is 'A' and player 'B' keeps on challenging & beating player 'A', then some people start to wish for the worst for player 'B'. Extreme nut-cases include Gunther, Graf & Seles.

tennis_hand
08-22-2007, 08:12 AM
some more without a coach. ;)