PDA

View Full Version : Chris Fowler...

saram
08-18-2007, 05:41 PM
...The guy just has to go. He taints every match he covers. He is a basketball/football announcer trying to take a stab at tennis. I almost want to reach for the earplugs each time he takes to the mic during a match. Two weeks during the AO was too much. Just a week in Cincy is too much. Move back to something you know, Chris. P Mac is a moron as well. I used to like the guy but Cahill has just taken over (or should) with more intelligent commentary and analysis than P Mac. Heck, even BG possesses more intelligent thoughts flowing from his pinky than P Mac and Fowler combined. I'd take him in a second over this current combination. Put P Mac down on the court. Fire Chris Fowler. Let Drysdale cover women's tennis with Mary. And put Cahil and Johnny Mac in the booth for color and analysis.

Starlite
08-18-2007, 05:44 PM
I agree they should get rid of Fowler, he's pretty awful. Patrick isn't so bad if Cahill's there to balance him out.

tennispro11
08-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah he is bad. He's a college football guy. WTF? Makes you wonder what ESPN is thinking, right? I do. Cahill does a spot on job. He calls it how he sees it. PMac is really annoying at times.

saram
08-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I actually see Patrick almost trying to battle now with Cahill and cut Darren off at times--as if he knows Cahill is more solid on his analysis and commentary. I feel as if Patrick is feeling challenged by Cahill...a lot.

tennispro11
08-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I noticed that tonight too. I think PMac knows he is gettin showed up by Cahill.

Dimonator133
08-18-2007, 05:52 PM
hmm, I think PMac is better than Cahill, but both good

but then again I think Fowler is not bad, so what do I know

saram
08-18-2007, 05:56 PM
hmm, I think PMac is better than Cahill, but both good

but then again I think Fowler is not bad, so what do I know

Really? P Mac said Jimmy Connors used an aluminum racket and that Roger's stick is the same head size as Pete's.

Darren knew it was steel, not the same headsize and that Roger used a PJ...it was almost as if he actually knew a lot about tennis.

Like I said though...I used to like Patrick and like some of his comments, but Cahill deserves to hold a seat in the booth....

stormholloway
08-18-2007, 05:57 PM
You guys don't know what you're talking about. Fowler is just fine. He's a broadcaster. He doesn't have to be an ex-pro. If you have any particular examples of why he should go, then post them.

saram
08-18-2007, 05:59 PM
You guys don't know what you're talking about. Fowler is just fine. He's a broadcaster. He doesn't have to be an ex-pro. If you have any particular examples of why he should go, then post them.

You said "Fowler is just fine..."

You deserve NO examples with that reply...sorry, dude. None.

Starlite
08-18-2007, 05:59 PM

well, you're right he hasn't said anything offensive or incredibly off base, I personally just don't like to listen to him.

bluetrain4
08-18-2007, 06:02 PM
He's not horrible, but could be better.

I think he's fantastic on College Gameday and for football in general.

Craig Sheppard
08-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Do you know how big of a tennis fan Fowler is? Probably not. He goes to watch the matches himself, he's always followed it, and he's an amateur player himself. He's not just a "football & basketball guy"... he actually loves tennis.

Personally I think him & Cahill are the best ESPN has.

naffi
08-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Thank you! Fowler is a football/bball guy, but I think he's obviously done a lot to learn about tennis, and I've never heard him say something so stupid that it outrages me. He's solid and well-versed. What about Ted Robinson? Two words: Re ****.
http://www.******************.blogspot.com

naffi
08-18-2007, 06:18 PM
In other words ... no examples. Thanks for playing.

http://www.******************.blogspot.com

You said "Fowler is just fine..."

You deserve NO examples with that reply...sorry, dude. None.

saram
08-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Listen to Courier, Cahill, Gilbert, and when Agassi did an hour during the AO this year. Even Arias has intelligence when it comes to tennis analysis.

Ask Fowler what a T2000 is and he'll tell you a baseball glove...which is actually an A2000.....

tennispro11
08-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Do you know how big of a tennis fan Fowler is? Probably not. He goes to watch the matches himself, he's always followed it, and he's an amateur player himself. He's not just a "football & basketball guy"... he actually loves tennis.

Personally I think him & Cahill are the best ESPN has.

No, I don't think so. Cahill and Cliff Drysdale are the best ESPN has. They both have a pretty good idea what goes on in the pro tennis world. I don't mind Fowler, but he doesn't really know tennis as a former player would. I think that he does a good job hosting the events that are on ESPN but I don't think he does well as a commentator.

saram
08-18-2007, 06:28 PM
No, I don't think so. Cahill and Cliff Drysdale are the best ESPN has. They both have a pretty good idea what goes on in the pro tennis world. I don't mind Fowler, but he doesn't really know tennis as a former player would. I think that he does a good job hosting the events that are on ESPN but I don't think he does well as a commentator.

Exactly. Well organized and holds the front desk well. But as an analyst at the finals of a Slam or Masters event...well, he should just hold the door open for Cahill.

Mike Bulgakov
08-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Cahill is razor sharp and right to the point. He'll jump in and make a really insightfully remark about tactics or a players strokes from the sidelines. I can't help thinking they should shut off the booth microphones and leave his on. Cahill and Courier have the sharpest analysis; JMac is the most entertaining when he is on. PMac is too cautious about offending players or sponsors and is often dull IMHO.

Craig Sheppard
08-18-2007, 06:54 PM

Ahh but I don't always want a former player telling me things all the time... That's why they have a play by play guy and an analyst in the booth for most sporting events. Play by players are media people who keep the flow going and throw questions to the analysts, which are usually former players. Hard core fans that are in the know may like all former players, but the "everyman" fan should be able to relate more to the media guy.

J-man
08-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Fowler is not a tennis commentator by any means. You guys need to understand that he like Craig has said is a play by play commentator. He is there to keep the conversdation going and call out the score.

I agree he's no tennis commentator. I personally don't mind Fowler that much. He's a nice guy. And his voice is easier to listen to than someone like Ted Willams

tennispro11
08-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Ahh but I don't always want a former player telling me things all the time... That's why they have a play by play guy and an analyst in the booth for most sporting events. Play by players are media people who keep the flow going and throw questions to the analysts, which are usually former players. Hard core fans that are in the know may like all former players, but the "everyman" fan should be able to relate more to the media guy.

Yeah I get what your saying. He is there for the casual tennis fan. Makes sense. But have you heard that Katrina Adams on TTC. She is flippin horrible. I think she is the dumbest person commentating on tennis today. When she is commentating I put it on mute.

saram
08-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Fowler is not a tennis commentator by any means. You guys need to understand that he like Craig has said is a play by play commentator. He is there to keep the conversdation going and call out the score.

I agree he's no tennis commentator. I personally don't mind Fowler that much. He's a nice guy. And his voice is easier to listen to than someone like Ted Willams

Ted Williams is commenting now on tennis? Thought he died a while back...

You mean Ted Robinson? Take it easy...just playing here...;)

bigfoot910
08-18-2007, 07:37 PM
I really don't have a big problem with him. I agree with the comment that he is there for the everyday casual fan. He asks the "stupid" questions and provides time killer conversations that no one elese will ask and gets the answers for the tennis newbies.

I am not saying that he is a great tennis announcer, but it seems he is trying to learn and he has gotten better since he started.

J-man
08-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Ted Williams is commenting now on tennis? Thought he died a while back...

You mean Ted Robinson? Take it easy...just playing here...;)Opps meant ted Robinson. It sounded funny when I typed it in. I thought it was wrong

J-man
08-18-2007, 07:42 PM
I really don't have a big problem with him. I agree with the comment that he is there for the everyday casual fan. He asks the "stupid" questions and provides time killer conversations that no one elese will ask and gets the answers for the tennis newbies.

I am not saying that he is a great tennis announcer, but it seems he is trying to learn and he has gotten better since he started.I have noticed that he has said more tennis strategy things. He is picking up the game better and better. But he still is not a tennis commentator

AndyRLacoste
08-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Is Cahill the Aussie, if so he's good?

saram
08-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Is Cahill the Aussie, if so he's good?

yes, he's from down under.

Cridal
08-18-2007, 09:35 PM
I disagree...

As much as I don't like PMac, I really like Fowler. If fact I think he is a great guy for ESPN. What differentiates him from other commentators is the fact that he wasn't a pro player, yet he has great genuine enthusiasm for tennis. I love shots of him sitting in the stands on his off days/nights and watching tennis. It's not just a job for him, he really cares...

He might not be the guy for you to analyze a particular shot or tactics during the match. But he is well versed in latest tennis history and is a student of the game, just like the vast majority of people watching. He brings something different to the table...

Lleytian3
08-18-2007, 09:42 PM
I disagree...

As much as I don't like PMac, I really like Fowler. If fact I think he is a great guy for ESPN. What differentiates him from other commentators is the fact that he wasn't a pro player, yet he has great genuine enthusiasm for tennis. I love shots of him sitting in the stands on his off days/nights and watching tennis. It's not just a job for him, he really cares...

He might not be the guy for you to analyze a particular shot or tactics during the match. But he is well versed in latest tennis history and is a student of the game, just like the vast majority of people watching. He brings something different to the table...

totally agree with you man.

fowler does not do a bad job at all. does he give tips on what should the pro's do, or what tournements to play. he does none of that. fowler is just trying to learn the complicated game of tennis and he is doing a fine job. give the guy a break, he is coming from an american culture which strongly enforces football/basketball, and he is only one of the prominet ESPN guys who are trying to learn the game of tennis. he obviously enjoys the game, example fed-hewitt match.

Pmac and luke jensen should only cover womens tennis. first of all, jensen does not know jack about tennis, listen to him and he is completely horrible, i prefer fowler to jensen any day of the week. we need to fire luke, his brother is fine. pmac on the other hand kiss ***** to andy roddick and blake. o andy o andy. blake is on fire blah blah blah. sick and tired on hearing pmac only comment on the americans. shesh man. get him off the air