PDA

View Full Version : Better Backhand - Federer or Henin?

drake
08-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Until recently I always believed Federer had a more consistent backhand than Henin but now I believe, pound for pound, Henins' backhand is much better. I'm not a big fan of the WTA except watching Henins' matches (Ivanovic is easy on the eyes) and I get the feeling during her rallies that she will not miss her backhand in fact she'll hit a winner. On the other hand, especially this year, that during a rally Federer can miss or shank his backhand anytime.

blinkinrogue
08-18-2007, 07:05 PM
well i dont know about comparing the two, but i always loved watching JH with that particular shot. even when she was younger, she had it pretty well.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/justine+henin/video/x2bpyl_justine-henin-au-stade-francais-en_events

(btw, can anybody identify the person she was playing against?).

It's funny, i think jh plays a lot like RF, but in terms of grand slam results, she is more like RN.

saram
08-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Safin...hands down...

tennispro11
08-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Henin has the prettiest looking one hander you will ever see. As far as being better I would have to say that yes it is a better topspin backhand than federer's. But all around I would have to say that Federer has more variety.

tennispro11
08-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Safin...hands down...

hahahahaha way off the mark but it made me laugh.

Zets147
08-18-2007, 07:40 PM
oooo is that clijsters!?

Tennis_Monk
08-18-2007, 07:49 PM
You are missing Andy Roddick!!
on a serious note, I have seen Federer's Backhand being broken. I havent seen that from Henin. I would say Henin has better!

kingkong
08-18-2007, 07:52 PM
henin has a better backhand than anybody in the world ever except kuerten.

Thye are the only two people who use an extreme grip on the backhand who don't need lots and lots of preperation time on the backhand and can take it on the rise, unlike gasquet for example.Here backhand is technically very similar to Gaudio's and she gets similar results but as I said before she is better at taking it on the rise.

dave333
08-18-2007, 07:52 PM
If henin was a man, she would have the better backhand.

But I guarantee fed's is the heavier shot.

kingkong
08-18-2007, 07:57 PM
fed doesn't generate anywhere near the pace henin does on her backhand.

krz
08-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Looking at this from a relative perspective Henin > Federer

but yea put each backhand against each other and Feds is better. Because hes a guy.

but like dave said if Henin was a guy she would have the best backhand.

saram
08-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Gaudio....hands down...

tennispro11
08-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Gaudio....hands down...

Gaudio can flippin rip the ball with his backhand. One of the few players that has a way better bh than his fh. He was fun to watch when he had some confidence. :(

Jonny S&V
08-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Gaudio....hands down...

You are forgetting Gasquet, Haas, Kuerten, Ljubicic, Jankovic... Oh yeah, this is a Henin vs Fed bh thread. Fed is better only in the respect that, yeah, he is a man (supposedly...). Henin would be 100x better if she was a man.

princess bossass
08-18-2007, 08:51 PM
For what it's worth, Federer's bh makes me nervous, Henin's makes me gape in wonder.

kingkong
08-18-2007, 08:54 PM
You are forgetting Gasquet, Haas, Kuerten, Ljubicic, Jankovic... Oh yeah, this is a Henin vs Fed bh thread. Fed is better only in the respect that, yeah, he is a man (supposedly...). Henin would be 100x better if she was a man.

only kuerten is worthy of comparison

saram
08-18-2007, 09:20 PM

my point is you cannot base a game on one stroke. roger's game is solid all around and on critical points, he finds a way to hit a forehand. if we were basing a game entirely on a backhand, i'd go gaudio or gasquet ten-fold. gaudio, safin and gasquet have the purest of backhands, yet they fail tremendously with the rest of their games.

helloworld
08-18-2007, 09:57 PM
This is like comparing who has a better upper cut between Laila Ali and Mike Tyson. You just can't compare women to men in sport. Henin's backhand may look prettier but Fed would kill her like Mike Tyson killing Laila Ali with ease.

Harry_Wild
08-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Justine Henin has the better backhand.

It is more consistent, better disguise and more variety! Plus she can hit it at an angle anywhere in the court for a winner! Very nice powerful top-spin to back off her opponent and put them in a defensive mode. Flat backhand is hit hard too! All in all; it the best backhand in the game in the open era!

Ambivalent
08-18-2007, 11:06 PM
In proportion to their respective competition, i think Henin has the better backhand. But if Fed and Henin had a bh to bh rally, fed would crush 10 winners in a row, no prob. Henin's form is so pretty though..

kingkong
08-18-2007, 11:08 PM
In proportion to their respective competition, i think Henin has the better backhand. But if Fed and Henin had a bh to bh rally, fed would crush 10 winners in a row, no prob. Henin's form is so pretty though..

I don't think so

Rpp
08-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Justine Henin has the better backhand.

It is more consistent, better disguise and more variety! Plus she can hit it at an angle anywhere in the court for a winner! Very nice powerful top-spin to back off her opponent and put them in a defensive mode. Flat backhand is hit hard too! All in all; it the best backhand in the game in the open era!

I assume Roger would make nice angles and disguise from sitters as well. These two just cannot be compared. It is nonsense to compare men's and women's game.

blinkinrogue
08-19-2007, 12:08 AM
I read too somewhere that one of the bryan brothers wished they had henin's BH, and i dont remember him wishing he had any of the male players' BH. They also said that if JH was bigger and stronger, she should have joined the ATP. can't remember where i read it though. :(

crazylevity
08-19-2007, 08:55 AM
well i dont know about comparing the two, but i always loved watching JH with that particular shot. even when she was younger, she had it pretty well.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/justine+henin/video/x2bpyl_justine-henin-au-stade-francais-en_events

(btw, can anybody identify the person she was playing against?).

It's funny, i think jh plays a lot like RF, but in terms of grand slam results, she is more like RN.

dang...Henin had more game at that age than I do now. :p

Batoussai
08-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Amazingly how fast this thread changed into who has the best backhand, overall!!! People, stick to the thread...

Henin is the sure favorite. Her backhand is her dominant stroke, federer has his forehand. The technique on her backhand is just, unseen...

rod99
08-19-2007, 09:09 AM
there are at least 10 pros who have a better backhand than federer.

Turning Pro
08-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Henin's BH is better. Like Mcenroe once said before in both sides of the game.

tennispro11
08-19-2007, 10:23 AM
there are at least 10 pros who have a better backhand than federer.

This isn't about who has a better backhand than Federer on the men's side, it is about who has a better bh, Henin or Federer. Keep your opinion to yourself on this. We already know how you stand on the issue of Fed's backhand.

natasha_nana
08-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Well Henin's backhand is the shot for her...whereas for Fed it's only a shot...

I'd say Henin's Backhand is to her what Fed's forehand is to him...so yes of course Henin's backhand is better.

Henin BH = Fed FH

Fed FH > Fed BH

Henin BH > Fed BH

;)

Though of course none of this means Fed wouldn't still hit Henin off the court even with only BH-BH rallies.

Hot Sauce
08-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Henin would be 100x better if she was a man.

You have to be joking.

princess bossass
08-19-2007, 01:57 PM
I highly admire JH's backhand, but I don't think it's "the" shot for her. Her serve is underrated, plus she claims to prefer her forehand to her backhand. Just sayin'.

rod99
08-19-2007, 02:11 PM
This isn't about who has a better backhand than Federer on the men's side, it is about who has a better bh, Henin or Federer. Keep your opinion to yourself on this. We already know how you stand on the issue of Fed's backhand.

by comparing the federer backhand to the henin backhand, the original poster is saying that federer has the best backhand in the men's game. i'm just pointing out that is not true.

tennispro11
08-19-2007, 02:18 PM
by comparing the federer backhand to the henin backhand, the original poster is saying that federer has the best backhand in the men's game. i'm just pointing out that is not true.

No, the OP didn't imply that Fed had the best backhand in the men's game. He just simply stated that he thought Justine had a better backhand. So yeah I am just pointing that out.

drake
08-19-2007, 02:27 PM
No, the OP didn't imply that Fed had the best backhand in the men's game. He just simply stated that he thought Justine had a better backhand. So yeah I am just pointing that out.

Tennispro11 - Thanks for taking the time and reading the post correctly! I watched both finals today and I have to say when Federer's opponent isn't targeting his backhand, it's one of the best but again watching Henin's against Jankovic, it is truly one of the best weapons (obviously against her counterparts) in tennis.

tennispro11
08-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Tennispro11 - Thanks for taking the time and reading the post correctly! I watched both finals today and I have to say when Federer's opponent isn't targeting his backhand, it's one of the best but again watching Henin's against Jankovic, it is truly one of the best weapons (obviously against her counterparts) in tennis.

Your welcome! :) I watched them too and I have to say that Henin can use her backhand as an offensive weapon more so than Federer. She has I think the prettiest looking backhand you will ever see. She likes to hit her forehand more than her backhand but I would say she should hit her backhand more. It is simply amazing.

dysonlu
08-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Amazingly how fast this thread changed into who has the best backhand, overall!!! People, stick to the thread...

Henin is the sure favorite. Her backhand is her dominant stroke, federer has his forehand. The technique on her backhand is just, unseen...

Well said. And people should just focus on the technique aspect of the question and don't go anal about who would win a BH rally, Roger or Justine.

So back to the subject, technique-wise, Henin's BH is just so clean and beautiful, much more so than Roger's, in my opinion. Apparently, Justine's BH is renowned Argentinian style BH, a la Sabatini. Pound-for-pound, I also think it's more powerful.

Breaker
08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
I highly admire JH's backhand, but I don't think it's "the" shot for her. Her serve is underrated, plus she claims to prefer her forehand to her backhand. Just sayin'.

Exactly, from the matches I've seen from her it looks like her forehand is better than her backhand and that she runs around the backhand a lot.

Eviscerator
08-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Until recently I always believed Federer had a more consistent backhand than Henin but now I believe, pound for pound, Henins' backhand is much better. I'm not a big fan of the WTA except watching Henins' matches (Ivanovic is easy on the eyes) and I get the feeling during her rallies that she will not miss her backhand in fact she'll hit a winner. On the other hand, especially this year, that during a rally Federer can miss or shank his backhand anytime.

:roll:

I cannot understand why so many people like to compare men and women tennis players :confused: Maybe it is due to the marketing of the sport, and publications like Tennis magazine that took the top 50 players and divided them between men and women. I doubt many basketball fans wondered if a WNBA woman could play better than MJ, but who knows.
If Federer were to go backhand to backhand against Henin competitively, she would not stand a chance. Granted, her backhand is fundamentally sound and one of the best on the women's tour. However she would not be able to deal with the pace/heaviness of a top male pro.

anointedone
08-19-2007, 03:36 PM
:roll:

I cannot understand why so many people like to compare men and women tennis players :confused: Maybe it is due to the marketing of the sport, and publications like Tennis magazine that took the top 50 players and divided them between men and women. I doubt many basketball fans wondered if a WNBA woman could play better than MJ, but who knows.
If Federer were to go backhand to backhand against Henin competitively, she would not stand a chance. Granted, her backhand is fundamentally sound and one of the best on the women's tour. However she would not be able to deal with the pace/heaviness of a top male pro.

Maybe he meant for her by womens compared to him by mens standards. So for example if you thinks he has the best backhand in the womens game, you would then have to think she has the best backhand in the mens game to compare; of if she has a top 3 backhand in the womens game, you would have to think he has a top 3 backhand in the mens game to compare, etc...
Atleast that is what I think the original poster meant. Otherwise it would not make sense to even ask.

Mick
08-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Federer's because the ball is coming to his backhand side much faster than any ball that Henin has had to hit.

rod99
08-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Exactly, from the matches I've seen from her it looks like her forehand is better than her backhand and that she runs around the backhand a lot.

strongly disagree. she runs around her backhand to hit forehands b/c she can get a better angle when hitting an inside out forehand. i do remember her saying she thought her forehand is better. i'm not really sure why she said that. her forehand is much more erratic.

for someone so small, she does get good pace on her serve. however, she often serves in the low 50s 1st serve percentage and is prone to double faults.

i say her backhand is far and away the best part of her game.

Alexandros
08-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Has anyone ever seen Henin hit a drive backhand on the run? No? She always slices it when stretched out wide, right? There's the answer right there then.

dysonlu
08-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Has anyone ever seen Henin hit a drive backhand on the run? No? She always slices it when stretched out wide, right? There's the answer right there then.

Yes, I have seen it.

Wuornos
08-20-2007, 05:45 AM
If henin was a man, she would have the better backhand.

But I guarantee fed's is the heavier shot.

Exactly right.

redsoxrock930
08-20-2007, 08:41 AM
henin for sure

kingkong
08-20-2007, 08:42 AM

murray says that his serve is his best shot...

superman1
08-20-2007, 08:43 AM
If Federer had a bunch of Sharapova's and Kuznetsova's to feast on, his backhand would be a constantly sublime thing of beauty. Instead, he has guys like Nadal just slaughtering the ball with spin. Henin would barely be able to reach Nadal's forehand on clay. You can't compare.

tennis_hand
08-20-2007, 08:50 AM
In their own relative leagues, Henin is better in WTA than Fed in ATP.

comparing henin's with fed's directly is pointless.

phoony
08-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Justine of course. Looked at her match against Jankovic recently. Really classic displayed by her.

Rpp
08-20-2007, 10:48 AM
Justine of course. Looked at her match against Jankovic recently. Really classic displayed by her.

This match had a few fine points but also a lot of huge errors, hope this is not a classic women's match.

phoony
08-20-2007, 06:47 PM
This match had a few fine points but also a lot of huge errors, hope this is not a classic women's match.

Justines got the sore shoulder injury which made her making mistakes and errors on the games but by far she still the strongest women on tour.