PDA

View Full Version : stringing possibilities are driving me nuts

TennisandMusic
08-18-2007, 07:55 PM
I am surely not the only one here who feels this way, but all of the possibilities of stringing are driving me crazy. Ever since I started stringing for myself the possibilities have motivated me to actually try them! However, now that I can see the pros and cons of various strings I simply cannot settle on anything and focus on my game...should I do hybrids? Full poly? Multi's? Should I just play with really cheap syn. gut and restring often?

Right now I am playing with a k6.1 95 16x18 and would really like to just settle on a string that plays great all around, isn't too expensive and is either white/natural or black. However even cyber power tempts me...

Frankly it's all just driving me crazy. :D

Suggestions?

Pr0DiGy
08-18-2007, 08:06 PM
I feel the same. I'm trying to make myself find a string that simply feels okay, lasts a decent amount of time, and isn't too pricy. Honestly, I don't think it's worth it to spend the money to try all those hundreds, possibly thouands orf potential "perfect" setups. Reaction 16 is pretty good for me at the moment. However, the durability may be the question mark.

mhstennis100
08-18-2007, 08:22 PM
I feel you man. I've tried a different string almost every time I restring. I finally just bought a reel of Ashaway Synthetic Gut to force myself to play with the same string. It's a good all around string.

TennisandMusic
08-18-2007, 08:24 PM
My problem is I loathe string movement, and I hit pretty hard so unless Im using full poly the strings will have moved shortly into my first hit with them. Kinda limits my options.

Any suggestions? I'm going to try some Isospeed control next...

Craig Sheppard
08-18-2007, 08:24 PM
HA... since getting my stringer I've tried a bunch of different strings. Guess what I use now? PSGD 17. Sure it's neat to experiment, but PSGD is just the string I feel most confident with, and I haven't found any thing worth the higher cost that trumps it.

Jonny S&V
08-18-2007, 08:42 PM
My problem is I loathe string movement, and I hit pretty hard so unless Im using full poly the strings will have moved shortly into my first hit with them. Kinda limits my options.

Any suggestions? I'm going to try some Isospeed control next...

Topspin Cyberflash is one of the softer polys out there, and the only thing that moves with those strings are the crosses when I hybrid it with Babolat Superfine Play after about 10 hours of play.

TennisandMusic
08-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Topspin Cyberflash is one of the softer polys out there, and the only thing that moves with those strings are the crosses when I hybrid it with Babolat Superfine Play after about 10 hours of play.

Tried it, like a few other polys better. :-) See that's another problem...I've tried a lot and can see the pros and cons of many different strings. It's just which one is best? :p

I'm sorta holding out hope for some combo that I haven't even considered yet or something.

Jonny S&V
08-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Tried it, like a few other polys better. :-) See that's another problem...I've tried a lot and can see the pros and cons of many different strings. It's just which one is best? :p

I'm sorta holding out hope for some combo that I haven't even considered yet or something.

Ashaway Kevlar mains, ALU Power crosses? ;)

Chauvalito
08-18-2007, 08:56 PM
My brothers and I tested everything, poly's hybrids with multi's etc.

One of my brothers has settled on Cyberflash(we got him a reel)...and

since I make money(not much) I am still trying a few new strings every month or so.

My youngest brother is quite picky...I just had his racket strung with cyberflash in the mains and reaction in teh crosses...and he tells me he gets no power...

and yet he plays just fine with weiss cannon matchpower(full poly)...

volleyman
08-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Pro Supex Big Ace mains (white)/ Pro Supex Titan syn gut crosses (black).

For a bit more power and feel: PS Big Ace Mains/PS Maxim Touch (both white/natural) crosses.

Both hybrids play well, especially if you use the 17L Big Ace, have decent durability, and are cheap, even cheaper if you get reels.

PBODY99
08-19-2007, 04:17 AM
I am surely not the only one here who feels this way, but all of the possibilities of stringing are driving me crazy. Ever since I started stringing for myself the possibilities have motivated me to actually try them! However, now that I can see the pros and cons of various strings I simply cannot settle on anything and focus on my game...should I do hybrids? Full poly? Multi's? Should I just play with really cheap syn. gut and restring often?

Right now I am playing with a k6.1 95 16x18 and would really like to just settle on a string that plays great all around, isn't too expensive and is either white/natural or black. However even cyber power tempts me...

Frankly it's all just driving me crazy. :D

Suggestions?

Just play more. There is no such thing as the perfect set up, better now, not as great when things change in your game. Pick a baseline setup that you can feel comfortable with for your important competitions and then try out the "next greatest set-up" as time and money allows. Time for my match.