PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gut with Gosen OG Micro

JavierLW
08-18-2007, 07:40 PM
I have a nSixTwo racquet and have been using an all natural gut job with Tonic+ strung at 60lbs.

I have been playing awesome with this setup. I also use string savers and since I only play 3-4 days a week and I am not a string breaker, and I protect them pretty good from the elements Ive been pretty successful in not having to string it too often. (one racquet has lasted me almost 4 months now and it still feels to me like it's the same as the one that was strung a few weeks ago)

However I would like to try to cut down on the cost of stringing, so Im thinking of splitting the Tonic+ in half, and putting Gosen OG Micro 16g in the crosses.

Im thinking that since it's in the crosses I probally wont notice a whole lot of diffrence, since Gosen Micro sounds like it's a quality soft string for it's price, and the crosses dont contribute as much to the setup. Is that reasonable thinking?

Also Im thinking of stringing them at 58lbs (which is what I would normally string a full multi job with, although I realize this is actually synth gut). Would anyone recommend anything else?

Im going to go ahead and try this anyway, but any thoughts or comments or suggestions would be interesting.

(btw, Im about an above average 3.5 player who is working his way to 4.0)

Jonny S&V
08-18-2007, 07:51 PM
I have a nSixTwo racquet and have been using an all natural gut job with Tonic+ strung at 60lbs.

I have been playing awesome with this setup. I also use string savers and since I only play 3-4 days a week and I am not a string breaker, and I protect them pretty good from the elements Ive been pretty successful in not having to string it too often. (one racquet has lasted me almost 4 months now and it still feels to me like it's the same as the one that was strung a few weeks ago)

However I would like to try to cut down on the cost of stringing, so Im thinking of splitting the Tonic+ in half, and putting Gosen OG Micro 16g in the crosses.

Im thinking that since it's in the crosses I probally wont notice a whole lot of diffrence, since Gosen Micro sounds like it's a quality soft string for it's price, and the crosses dont contribute as much to the setup. Is that reasonable thinking?

Also Im thinking of stringing them at 58lbs (which is what I would normally string a full multi job with, although I realize this is actually synth gut). Would anyone recommend anything else?

Im going to go ahead and try this anyway, but any thoughts or comments or suggestions would be interesting.

Honestly, a lot of people will disagree with me, but I think OG Micro is a stiffer syn gut. It had a lot of feel, put it was pretty stiff compared to my Babolat Superfine Play and it frayed and broke a little too easily for my liking. The next time, you should put the OG Micro in the mains, as the spin potential is a little better then the natural gut, IMO. Just my 2 cents.

Gmedlo
08-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Since you aren't much of a stringbreaker this shouldn't be much of a problem, I'd think you would want to get 16g gosen. The gut might actually outlive in and it would be a shame to see the 17/18g crosses snap before the gut.

bagung
08-18-2007, 07:55 PM
i am using gut in main, and have try different cross, such as og micro, excel, excellerator, x-1, nrg2, venom, iso-speed, laser fibre, nxt, k-boom,luxilon pwr rough.....
i disagree on "won't notice a whole lot of diff in crosses"... actually with the different cross you put on,it changes the "feel" and "character" of the whole string-bed....

Gmedlo
08-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Honestly, a lot of people will disagree with me, but I think OG Micro is a stiffer syn gut. It had a lot of feel, put it was pretty stiff compared to my Babolat Superfine Play and it frayed and broke a little too easily for my liking. The next time, you should put the OG Micro in the mains, as the spin potential is a little better then the natural gut, IMO. Just my 2 cents.

Noooooooo! He wont even be able to feel the gut that way. And I'm pretty sure gut has better spin potential than syngut.

Jonny S&V
08-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Noooooooo! He wont even be able to feel the gut that way. And I'm pretty sure gut has better spin potential than syngut.

As I said before, I felt that the OG Micro was stiffer, therefore giving it more spin potential because the string will snap back into place faster giving it more spin. If he wants the feel, then I assume that he isn't an idiot and will do the setup I just described.

volleyman
08-18-2007, 08:27 PM
I use 16 gauge gut mains with 16 gauge OG Sheep Micro crosses. I get plenty of feel and power.

If you string all gut at 60 lbs, stringing the hybrid at 58 lbs is a good starting point. The OG Sheep will dampen the power of the gut a little.

I agree with the previous poster who said that the cross string will affect the feel of the stringbed.

As for spin, I find that I can get as much spin out of a 15l or 16 gauge guts as I can out of 17 or 18 gauge synthetics.

And finally, I don't think going with OG Sheep Micro mains and gut crosses is a good idea. First, even though the gut crosses will improve the feel of the string bed, you're still going to get most of your feel and power from the syn gut. Second, the syn gut mains won't hold tension as well as gut mains, which means that you'll be restringing more often than you do now, and crying every time you have to cut out perfectly good gut crosses.

JavierLW
08-18-2007, 08:41 PM
As I said before, I felt that the OG Micro was stiffer, therefore giving it more spin potential because the string will snap back into place faster giving it more spin. If he wants the feel, then I assume that he isn't an idiot and will do the setup I just described.

I dont really want more feel (Im happy with what Im getting from the Natural Gut), so I dont think Id want to put it in the mains.

Like I said, Im banking on that I wont actually notice much of a diffrence from just having all gut, although it sounds like I will.

Stiffing the string bed a little bit might be okay (like if it's in the crosses), but making the whole racquet feel more stiff is not okay since Im playing fine with the all Natural Gut setup.

bagung
08-18-2007, 09:08 PM
I dont really want more feel (Im happy with what Im getting from the Natural Gut), so I dont think Id want to put it in the mains.

Like I said, Im banking on that I wont actually notice much of a diffrence from just having all gut, although it sounds like I will.

Stiffing the string bed a little bit might be okay (like if it's in the crosses), but making the whole racquet feel more stiff is not okay since Im playing fine with the all Natural Gut setup.

to make the string-bed a bit stiffer than full gut, you can start by putting crisp multi such as excellerator, x-1, iso-speed pro..... avoid soft springy multi, such as venom, excel....
if the crisp multi in cross is still too soft for you, you can try to put on poly in cross...............

JavierLW
08-18-2007, 09:45 PM
to make the string-bed a bit stiffer than full gut, you can start by putting crisp multi such as excellerator, x-1, iso-speed pro..... avoid soft springy multi, such as venom, excel....
if the crisp multi in cross is still too soft for you, you can try to put on poly in cross...............

Sorry, I probally wasnt clear. When I said making it a little stiffer might be okay, I meant that it might be acceptable, not that it's something that Im looking for.

Im currently using even more gut in the crosses and it's not "too soft for me". You'd have to admit any of those other strings (even "soft" multis) are stiffer than any Natural Gut.

Obviously going with a poly would be way out there in terms of changing how my racquet felt, I wouldnt even consider it.

Thanks for the descriptions though, that's helpful to know (which ones are "crisp" and which ones are "soft") Where would you say the Gosen OGS fall among those? (volley says that it's stiff, but Im not sure if that's the general overall consensus)

bagung
08-19-2007, 03:02 AM
ok. now i understand your question....
if you like the feel of full gut, you should just stay the way it is.. putting other cross will change the "feel" of the string-bed... full gut is great for power, tensions maintainence....
putting gosen ogs in cross will stiffen and muted the string-bed. and ogs does not hold the tensions as good as gut.....
unless you are looking for less powerful, muted string-bed than the full gut, i suggest you not to change the cross

nickb
08-19-2007, 03:09 AM

Putting the OG Micro in the mains and gut in crosses would be a waste of gut...why use gut if you are going to get the overall feel of a syn gut. The gut needs to be in the mains to get the best feel.

todot62
08-19-2007, 06:49 PM
I like OG, but i think the 17g feels a lot better than the 16g, and i think it would compliment the gut better. if you like the feel of the gut and you're not a string breaker, then use a tonic+ feel in the mains (16g or <) and an OG 17 in the mains. I honestly don't think you would tell much difference between this and full gut, and the string job will cost you $15 if you string it yourself. That's the same price as XL, and a hell of a lot better all the way around IMHO.

Something else to consider is using a good thin soft co-poly in the crosses. A BB-Rough is a bit much for many rec players but something like Timo 18g or Ace is not a bad choice. You will still save a bunch of money and it's got a very nice feel and power to the stringbed. I play with a Volkl DNX 8 and I use gut in the mains and Timo in the crosses and this is one of the best combinations I've ever used.

Tod

volleyman
08-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the descriptions though, that's helpful to know (which ones are "crisp" and which ones are "soft") Where would you say the Gosen OGS fall among those? (volley says that it's stiff, but Im not sure if that's the general overall consensus)

To disambiguate, Johny S&V said OG was stiffer than NG.

I just said it would dampen the power of the string bed a little vs using a full gut job. :-)

I doubt you'll find OG Sheep Micro to be objectionably stiff when used as a cross string.

JavierLW
08-28-2007, 05:06 PM
To disambiguate, Johny S&V said OG was stiffer than NG.

I just said it would dampen the power of the string bed a little vs using a full gut job. :-)

I doubt you'll find OG Sheep Micro to be objectionably stiff when used as a cross string.

volleyman,

since you use this setup, how do you feel this would differ in stiffness compared to a full job of NXT, Xcel, or biphase?

Ive noticed that I lose a lot of power (which should be obvious I guess) when I go from full gut to NXT or biphase, although noticably not as much with the biphase for some reason

I imagine a full OG Sheep micro job would be stiffer than those multi's though, wouldnt it? Im banking on the idea that in the crosses it still have more pop than a 100% multi job.

JavierLW
09-02-2007, 09:59 AM
volleyman,

since you use this setup, how do you feel this would differ in stiffness compared to a full job of NXT, Xcel, or biphase?

Ive noticed that I lose a lot of power (which should be obvious I guess) when I go from full gut to NXT or biphase, although noticably not as much with the biphase for some reason

I imagine a full OG Sheep micro job would be stiffer than those multi's though, wouldnt it? Im banking on the idea that in the crosses it still have more pop than a 100% multi job.

Finally got this setup this weekend and used it once in a double match.

Again my normal setup is all Tonic+ at 60#.

Ive also been using a stopgap racquet with all biphase at 57#.

So this setup, I put the Tonic+ mains at 60#, and I put the Sheep Micro crosses at 57#

I had been using the biphase racquet all week, and Id have to say that this new hybrid definately felt a little stiffer than the biphase setup. (which is stiffer than the full NG job)

This particular match (outdoors in somewhat windy conditions where I had trouble swinging really hard on the ball), forced me to go to the biphase racquet to get a little extra power. If I was indoors with the right opponent I could see where I could still use the hybrid and it wouldnt affect me much, but I think it's too stiff for outdoor use. (the way I play...)

does anyone think it would of been worth it to string the synthetic gut even looser? Or maybe string the whole thing at 57-58# instead of still stringing the gut at 60# like I do with the full setup? (I think someone suggested that)

Craig Sheppard
09-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Finally got this setup this weekend and used it once in a double match.

Again my normal setup is all Tonic+ at 60#.

Ive also been using a stopgap racquet with all biphase at 57#.

So this setup, I put the Tonic+ mains at 60#, and I put the Sheep Micro crosses at 57#

I had been using the biphase racquet all week, and Id have to say that this new hybrid definately felt a little stiffer than the biphase setup. (which is stiffer than the full NG job)

This particular match (outdoors in somewhat windy conditions where I had trouble swinging really hard on the ball), forced me to go to the biphase racquet to get a little extra power. If I was indoors with the right opponent I could see where I could still use the hybrid and it wouldnt affect me much, but I think it's too stiff for outdoor use. (the way I play...)

does anyone think it would of been worth it to string the synthetic gut even looser? Or maybe string the whole thing at 57-58# instead of still stringing the gut at 60# like I do with the full setup? (I think someone suggested that)

Hey, before you go and string a different way, give it another few sets to "settle in". I find gut sometimes doesn't play as well until you get a few hard sets on it. Then it gets reeeeally nice feeling. I'd say play another match or a few more practices before you decide to make a change.

I used to use a Tonic+/PSGD hybrid and strung both at 60#. When i used a multi or PSGD by itself, I always string at 58#. I found that with the extra power of the gut, I needed to bump up 2#. And once the nat gut hybrid broke in, I had controllable power that felt great. So give it a little more time.

JavierLW
09-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey, before you go and string a different way, give it another few sets to "settle in". I find gut sometimes doesn't play as well until you get a few hard sets on it. Then it gets reeeeally nice feeling. I'd say play another match or a few more practices before you decide to make a change.

I used to use a Tonic+/PSGD hybrid and strung both at 60#. When i used a multi or PSGD by itself, I always string at 58#. I found that with the extra power of the gut, I needed to bump up 2#. And once the nat gut hybrid broke in, I had controllable power that felt great. So give it a little more time.

Thanks.

I did think of this. I guess what surprised me is that when I went all Tonic+ in the past, the racquet felt great right from the start and I didnt notice any initial stiffness.

So your probally saying that once it's lost a bit of tension it wont feel at stiff with the synthetic in there then, right?

It probally wasnt the most ideal test for racquet testing I guess. It was a doubles match in the wind against and with players who werent too consistant.

volleyman
09-02-2007, 08:36 PM
[snip]
Or maybe string the whole thing at 57-58# instead of still stringing the gut at 60# like I do with the full setup? (I think someone suggested that)

I'd try stringing the whole thing at 57-58 lbs. I string my gut mains and gosen crosses at the same tension, and it works fine.

JavierLW
09-24-2007, 03:13 PM

Here's an update on this setup. (Tonic #60 / Sheep Micro #57)

Ive been using this racquet off and on now for weeks, and I still notice that it seems significantly stiffer than my other racquet which has Biphase strung at 57#

I saw another post where someone was putting the Gosen with Poly where it was recommended that it makes the string bed really stiff if put over 55#. I wonder if there is anything to that in this situation.

On the bonus side though, I guess you could say it's good that it's still stiff, because it's at least holding it's tension pretty decently.

Ive been using this a lot in my drills or against aggressive opponents indoors and Ive gotten some incrediable spin and still a decent amount of pace.

If I go outdoors though in the wind, or Im playing a pusher, I tend to swing a bit slower, so I usually have to go with something with a softer string bed like Im used to.

drak
09-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Putting the OG Micro in the mains and gut in crosses would be a waste of gut...why use gut if you are going to get the overall feel of a syn gut. The gut needs to be in the mains to get the best feel.

ABSOLUTELY correct - what a waste of $$$$ doin it that way. Gut Mains and OG Micro crosses has been my basic "Mr. reliable/highly playable" string job for many, many years. I use a 16 gauge in both and I always break the gut first and it lasts me quite a while - I'd say at least twice the length of a normal syn gut. Since 80-85%of the playability comes from the mains, don't waste the gut in the crosses. I'm sure someone can find some exception for his/her particular style of play, but for 97% of us gut mains is the way to go.

JavierLW
09-24-2007, 05:29 PM
ABSOLUTELY correct - what a waste of $$$$ doin it that way. Gut Mains and OG Micro crosses has been my basic "Mr. reliable/highly playable" string job for many, many years. I use a 16 gauge in both and I always break the gut first and it lasts me quite a while - I'd say at least twice the length of a normal syn gut. Since 80-85%of the playability comes from the mains, don't waste the gut in the crosses. I'm sure someone can find some exception for his/her particular style of play, but for 97% of us gut mains is the way to go.

Thanks Drak,

What racquet do you have and what tension do you put this in? Also which Gut do you use?

drak
09-25-2007, 04:51 AM
Thanks Drak,

What racquet do you have and what tension do you put this in? Also which Gut do you use?

RDS002 (light): Legend Mains at 55 lbs, Gosen OG crosses at 53.

Babs Pure Storm: ArmourPro at 55 lbs, Gosen crosses at 55 lbs.

All 16 gauge.

JavierLW
09-25-2007, 08:43 AM
RDS002 (light): Legend Mains at 55 lbs, Gosen OG crosses at 53.

Babs Pure Storm: ArmourPro at 55 lbs, Gosen crosses at 55 lbs.

All 16 gauge.

Thanks, that sounds like it would work out a lot better than my Tonic+ at 60lbs, Gosen crosses at 57lbs. (which seems very stiff)

What kind of player are you and at what level?

Have you ever used Tonic+ compared to Legend? (Im wondering what the diffrence is, I notice they are priced about the same)

drak
09-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks, that sounds like it would work out a lot better than my Tonic+ at 60lbs, Gosen crosses at 57lbs. (which seems very stiff)

What kind of player are you and at what level?

Have you ever used Tonic+ compared to Legend? (Im wondering what the diffrence is, I notice they are priced about the same)

4.5 all court player. First time I have used legend, plays nice but still wondering about wear. I've used BDE Rallye a lot with very good results, plays a bit softer than Legend. The Armour Pro is a bit stiffer/less power (still comfortable) and can be strung lower - very good durability. I string my own frames

neverstopplaying
09-25-2007, 07:21 PM
I use 16 gauge gut mains with 16 gauge OG Sheep Micro crosses. I get plenty of feel and power.

If you string all gut at 60 lbs, stringing the hybrid at 58 lbs is a good starting point. The OG Sheep will dampen the power of the gut a little.

I agree with the previous poster who said that the cross string will affect the feel of the stringbed.

As for spin, I find that I can get as much spin out of a 15l or 16 gauge guts as I can out of 17 or 18 gauge synthetics.

And finally, I don't think going with OG Sheep Micro mains and gut crosses is a good idea. First, even though the gut crosses will improve the feel of the string bed, you're still going to get most of your feel and power from the syn gut. Second, the syn gut mains won't hold tension as well as gut mains, which means that you'll be restringing more often than you do now, and crying every time you have to cut out perfectly good gut crosses.

^^^^What he said.

I wanted to do the same as above, not to reduce costs, but finding gut has too much power. After many trials, I settled on SPPP mains (53) with Klip Legend crosses (57) and am getting better match results with this setup. My choice from full gut to hybrid was based on:
wanting to tame the gut
wanting the most control at a comfortable tension (low-mid 50s)
gut will maintain tension until it breaks
SPPP is a poly well reputed to maintain tension, so a good match
SPPP definitely gives me more spin than either gut, multi, or syn gut

Let us know the results of your gut/syn gut hybrid.