PDA

View Full Version : How to improve net coverage?

AznHylite
08-18-2007, 07:55 PM
I always seem to get hit with passing shots down the sides. -_-"

EricW
08-18-2007, 08:01 PM
First learn how to hit solid volleys into the corners off shots that are fed to you. Then:

Get someone who has good passing shots (someone who can routinely hit near the corners with good pace) and put a huge basket of balls at the service line, stand in front of it and feed to them(their goal is to pass you), and try to volley them solidly into the corners.

If you're not particularly good at the net, you might get passed like almost every shot, but if you keep trying you get better and better. Do this for like an hour everyday for a month and you'll make your volleys 500% better

AznHylite
08-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Alright! Thanks EricW!

Off The Wall
08-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Practice as suggested. Meanwhile, when you get passed a couple of times like you describe...cover the line! Your opponent will quickly figure out down-the-line is not safe. Don't let 'em hit the same old boring passing shot. Take away their comfort zone.

kingkong
08-18-2007, 09:03 PM
email me .

koopa_troopa
08-18-2007, 09:08 PM
One thing you can also try is set up better before going to the net. You may already have good court coverage, but you may be going to the net prematurely. There is no point going to the net if you have just hit an easy ball right to your opponent. Set up the point, approach the net, cover your angles, and finish the point off quickly. If you make a better setup and put good pressure on your opponent, your opponent won't be able to make many good passing shots in a match. So when practicing, along with what others have already suggested, try practicing setting up your net play.

samprasbackhand
08-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Just know that if you approach, cover the line more because if you do, you can either:

1. Cut off the passing shot and block an easy one cross-court
2. Force the other player to hit a "dipper" cross-court which can be a difficult shot to make

VS_Power
08-18-2007, 10:42 PM
before all that, try to hit a stronger approach shot to make it harder for your opponent to pass!

then, make sure to stay on your toes and dont be lazy!!!

Ambivalent
08-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Move with the ball. If your approach shot is to your opponents forehand, then move to the portion of the court directly in front of his shot.

Gmedlo
08-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Don't forget to split-step...

hoons
08-18-2007, 11:22 PM
http://www.english.upenn.edu/~bushnell/english-330/materials/new_church/fox_rack_x480-g4.jpeg

hopefully TW will order in a few of these machines

Rickson
08-18-2007, 11:42 PM
I always seem to get hit with passing shots down the sides. -_-"

2 words. Approach shot! Improve your approach shots and you won't get passed as often. Hit with depth and make sure they're not marshmallows.

dave333
08-19-2007, 04:24 AM
As said, place better, hit harder, hit deeper etc. for your approach shot.

And move with the approach shot too. The reason its best to hit down the line is that usually down the line is the 1st and most effective place to pass you and by following the ball down the line, you cut it off, forcing them to hit a tough cross-court passer, hit at you, or lob.

lakis92
08-19-2007, 06:10 AM
Try to win the point at the net when you are given the chance.

Vision84
08-19-2007, 06:56 AM
As already mentioned ensure you are split stepping at the right time.

Also try and get a read on where your opponent is going to hit as quickly as you can. Good anticipation is key.

Here is just a general tip for the balls that are quite away from you at the net. Step with the outside leg first then step across with the other leg, this is called the double step. If you are not used to this then practice doing this for a while and your net coverage will increase a lot.

Generally the better your approach shot then the easier your volley will be so make sure you are hitting good deep approach shots. Using a deep slice approach shot will make it harder for some to pass you. Mixing the spins up is a good idea. Also approach cross court once in a while to keep the opponent guessing.

jck01
08-20-2007, 03:12 PM
I always try to keep my feet moving.

neverstopplaying
08-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Try hitting a high percentage of approach down the line. Wait for the right opportunity.

Try to hit deep and use the slice approach often.

Always face your opponent instead of standing parallel to the net. Move up as well as sideways when reaching for far volleys.

I took lessons all summer just to work on my net game - these points made a big difference.