PDA

View Full Version : backhand broken down...help, please...

princess bossass
08-18-2007, 09:07 PM
My 2hbh used to be my very favorite shot--it was a fluid stroke, powerful, and I could generate a decent amount of topspin, plus hit deep shots and place them well.

Suddenly my backhand is entirely on the fritz. It seems to pop up a lot (moonballs--AUGH!), slice when I don't mean to, or else I just have NO power--can rarely hit past the service line. In other words, I hit these really spinny or scoopy lobs all the time, or I kinda mishit it and it bloops along, barely over the net. I know I'm doing something differently because it tweaks my back while it used to be a totally comfy motion. It also sometimes hurts my wrist to hit a backhand. I'm at a loss, because I've never had to really think about my backhand. It's always just been my best stroke, even when I would occasionally switch to a 1hbh (I only use a 1hbh for slice, normally) for topspin backhands, and that was also very natural. Now I can't do 2h or 1h AT ALL, plus it's become physically painful (lower back).

I've decided that one or a combination of the following might be involved:

1) tight wrists, 2) insufficient shoulder turn, 3) short backswing, 4) hitting too early/too late/general timing issues, 5) not keeping my weight forward, thus hitting off my heels, 6) low racquet speed, 7) grip (racquet too open), 8) hitting too far from my body, thus trying to "arm" it over, 9) new racquet giving me trouble, 10) poor footwork, 11) loss of confidence, 12) frustration. That's a lot of factors to consider. Can anyone help me narrow it down, or at least highlight the more likely culprits?

Y'all know things. Please share.

And please, pretty pretty please, don't tell me to use the search function! I wanted to describe specifically what's going on with my backhand in particular. And I'm sorry I can't post video, but I'm not that technologically advanced.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you in advance advance advance. Advance.

princess bossass
08-19-2007, 10:56 AM
bu-uuuuump.

EricW
08-19-2007, 11:06 AM
You're going to have to post a video, I find it your story hard to beleive... that your backhand used to be amazing and dependable and now it's terrible quality/undependable?

kingkong
08-19-2007, 11:07 AM
sounds like your takeback is too low and possible too short, make sure your takeback has your hand at shoulder height.

kingkong
08-19-2007, 11:09 AM
You're going to have to post a video, I find it your story hard to beleive... that your backhand used to be amazing and dependable and now it's terrible quality/undependable?

ignore this idiot, he's obviously never heard of coria or ferrero or roddick, people's strokes can turn to crtap at a moments notice.The sooner you start fixing it the easier it will be.

dave333
08-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Maybe its just a bad day. My forehand was awful today; coudln't drive through or feel the ball.'

Maybe I need to restring.

princess bossass
08-19-2007, 01:54 PM

LOL, I never said my backhand was amazing. It was solid, dependable, and powerful. I was no Justine Henin. It just came naturally--I always said to my coach "My forehand feels like anything can go wrong at any second, but my backhand feels like there's only one way to hit it, and this is the way."

I'm bad enough in general that when I have a stroke that consistently places the ball inbounds, near the baseline, and relatively close to where I'm aiming, I consider it "solid."

But yeah, it's suddenly, out of no where, completely done a 180. I know something is wrong because it's physically painful. I just don't know where to start fixing it, because I've never had problems with it before.

princess bossass
08-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Maybe its just a bad day. My forehand was awful today; coudln't drive through or feel the ball.'

Maybe I need to restring.

Yeah, I definitely like the "blame the racquet" option, LOL!

Hidious
08-19-2007, 02:47 PM
I know what you mean, your post looks like something i could have written. I'm exactly in the same situation as your are and it happens from time to time. You just lose your shot, it's not there anymore. Since our backhand is usually very good, i would blame our mental firt: 11) loss of confidence, 12) frustration. are pretty much what kills me, i think.

What i usually do when my backhand goes on vacation is watch videos of nice backhands or watch pro tennis on TV. My brain is very good at reproducing what i see so it kind of fixes it. I know it's weird. I have the nicest golf swing in town just from watching Ernie Els.