PDA

View Full Version : need help on hybrid stringing!

scottymccon
08-18-2007, 09:23 PM
hey i have recently heard about hybrid stringing and heard that professionals like using it. I was wondering if someone could try and explain to me everything they can about hybrid stringing.

which string goes on the cross and which goes on the mains?
what tensions should they both be at?
besides durability is there a playing advantage to it?
i have gamma professional strings, what would be the best to use with it?
what else did i miss...

thanks!

abenguyen
08-18-2007, 09:59 PM
hybrid stringing usually(the majority) consist of a good spin string(polyester) in the mains with a softer string(synthetic gut, multifilament, natural gut) in the cross. usually the crosses are strung higher to make up for the difference in string characteristics since polyesters are stiffer. but everyone has their own opinion and you just have to experiment to figure out what you like best. Federer has natural gut in the mains with luxilon big banger(polyester) in the crosses. "To each his or her own"

circusmouse
08-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Polyesters are used because they're durable, don't move around, and produce heavy, consistent spin. Most people hybrid them with a softer synthetic, multi, or gut to improve the feel, because full poly jobs can feel quite harsh. As Abenguyen said, you can use the poly as either the main or cross, but if you're stringing your own, I strongly recommend using the poly as the main, because they're very difficult to string as the cross. You could end up with bloody fingers from stringing poly crosses.

gwrtheyrn
08-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Also, another way is putting gut in the mains and something like OG Micro in the crosses, so it plays rather like gut (because it's in the mains), but doesn't cost as much because of the synthetic crosses..