PDA

View Full Version : Anger!

AM28143
08-18-2007, 09:29 PM
For the past 2 weeks I've become increasingly angry at myself and my level of playing. After every ball smashed into the net, every double fault, every mishit forehand, every defensive lob that sails just past the baseline my mind goes through a dangerous cycle of destructive thinking that ends with me throwing my racquet against the floor or screaming at myself in disgust. At first I'm mad at myself for losing my concentration or forgetting a basic aspect of my swing. Then, it migrates to my lack of training and how my father refused to pay for tennis lessons when I was younger. Afterwards, it stretches across the net and I find myself angry at my oppenent for either being too good (as superficial as that may sound) or hitting a lucky shot.

The next point, after my meltdown, I try to use my anger and become more aggresive and the ball with more force however, for the most part, my effort becomes futile and usually ends up with me missing another easy shot and consequently, add fuel to my rage. Once, after missing a cluster of overhead slams against this moonballer, I became so angry I had to forfeit the match in order to prevent myself from jumping over the net and smashing my racquet over my oppenent head. I've tried everything to quell my anger. Deep breathing, positive thinking, starring at hot girls (JK), taking a quick break, hitting higher percentage shots, but nothing has worked.

The pecuilar thing is that normally I'm not an angry person. I've never been in a fist fight, I rarely fued with my friend or family and I hardly ever swear. However, when playing anger manifest inside of me causing a rage. Any advice?

Moses Man
08-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Sounds like a prime candidate for "The Inner Game of Tennis"!!!

Available from Amazon.com here...

http://www.amazon.com/Inner-Game-Tennis-Mental-Performance/dp/0679778314/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4491699-5887317?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187544561&sr=8-1

EricW
08-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Play people who are better than you so you have nothing to lose, and practice/drill more to get confidence with your strokes.

koopa_troopa
08-19-2007, 11:30 AM
The pecuilar thing is that normally I'm not an angry person. I've never been in a fist fight, I rarely fued with my friend or family and I hardly ever swear. However, when playing anger manifest inside of me causing a rage. Any advice?

Thats your problem there :D . You have to let your anger out somewhere. Try to unleash it somewhere off the court. By the time you get to the court the only left will be happy thoughts.

Trinity TC
08-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Are you a perfectionist? :confused: :)