PDA

View Full Version : How can i improve this 2nd serve?

Ambivalent
08-18-2007, 09:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGNf9BOxkIg

So this is my second serve. I try for topspin and placement mainly - I aim for either the backhand or to the body, as you can see in the clip. However, it still needs work - For one, i'm only hitting it in about 85-90% of the time. Sometimes it just nets like the 3rd serve in this clip (i chose this clip on purpose because it had one fault in it). Also, i want to know how i can make this serve more offensive than it is now - by that i mean how can i make it so it sets me up for an approach shot OR a nice juicy groundstroke ball because i find that when i play better players, they'll drive my 2nd serve back down the line with their backhand or slice it back forcing me to either play defence by slicing it back or hitting the ball up because i cannot hit my normal topspin groundstroke with enough pace off a low ball.

Edit: Oh and this is filmed with a 5 ft tripod at 1 foot behind the baseline, pretty much where i find my opponents to stand. I wish i had a higher tripod, maybe one at around 6 ft so i can actually film what it would look like for the viewer as a returner, but oh well, i make do with what i have.

Andres
08-18-2007, 09:42 PM
More offensive? They don't kick, but they have a very nice pace for a 2nd serve. If you can nail it at 90%, you have a very good 2nd serve right there.

I wouldn't change a bit. Perhaps, if you wanna sacrifice pace for a little bit more kick, drive it less, and "brush it" more (you know what I mean)

But congrats, and keep on the good work.

YonexDude
08-18-2007, 10:44 PM
i think it's a good serve right now, as it's got good pace, but if you want to mix it up and practice a lower percentage but more effective second serve you can go to to surprise your opponent, try practicing hitting up on the ball with different angles, and add a little slice to the ball

dave333
08-19-2007, 04:25 AM
I think its good enough. There is some kick, but it is pretty fast too. As long as you can keep them in consistently, its great.

lakis92
08-19-2007, 06:09 AM
It doesn't have enough kick. Try to hit with more spin and less pace. That will help I think. In general, it's pretty good.