PDA

View Full Version : Roche improve Hewitt more than Connors improving Roddick? or spurge of the moment

DarkTennis
08-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Hewitt with new coach now seem to be doing really good...but could this be like roddick when he first had connors a sudden good play then back to realization of skill lvl after....
Is Hewitt improvement due to Roche?
How you think of Connors with Roddick?
Whose improvement is better?

kingkong
08-18-2007, 10:17 PM
I think it is due to his racquet, he has a bit more power and spin now.

daddy
08-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Like usually new coach, new blood, different aproach. These are short term changes. That why Fed takes on so many coaches, taking the best out of each and implementing in the game.

FedererUberAlles
08-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Maybe Roche's knowledge of Federer helped Hewitt

West Coast Ace
08-19-2007, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't give the coach too much credit. As Killer Cahill alluded to yesterday, his offcourt life has stabilized and Hewitt is not able - and eager - to play his best again.

Unless I missed some big change in strategy, I saw the same Hewitt out there the last 3 months - just better execution than we've seen previously. Having his parents and other hangers-on gone is probably a good thing. Now he just spends time with the wife and daughter.

I also think that other than the top 3, he looks at the rest of the competition and sees no one who he doesn't think he can beat.

Bjorn99
08-19-2007, 09:08 AM
First of all, Hewitt is lower than Roddick and has farther to improve. Secondly, a coach can only do so much. Both Hewitt and Roddick have a couple of weaknesses that probably prevent them from ever winning a major again. Hewitt can be softballed. Roddick's backhand is a modern day Courier bunt. Connors got him slicing, but............................

Quite honestly, I think Connors and Hewitt would be an interesting molotov cocktail.

anointedone
08-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Hewitt did not even come close to beating Federer in 2004-2005 when he was still at the top of his game, and the 2nd or 3rd best player in the World. That is saying something to what Roche has already done for his game.

This is a great time for mens tennis with Federer struggling, Nadal and Djokovic and Gasquet and others on the rise, Hewitt resurgent, Roddick still hanging in, Davydenko coming into his own at middle age. A diverse group of strong guys battling at the top.

anointedone
08-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Federer is struggling so much this year he is doing better in slams than he did in both 2004 and 2005 at this point of year.

There are quite many crazy people on this board.

He has come back to the field though. He isnt even leading the ATP race, even if he wins today. When was the last time this deep into the year he was trailing in the ATP race, even if by a smidge margin perhaps, and deceptive in a way.

Also I cant remember the last time he lost to players like Canas and Volandri in 3 of the 7 Masters events he has played so far, and hasnt won a hard court Masters yet in 3 that have finished (although that might change today).

West Coast Ace
08-19-2007, 09:52 AM
There are quite many crazy people on this board.You must be clairvoyant - you knew anointedone was going to post - see below!

He has come back to the field though.Ha ha! That is all the more classic, coming right after Tennis Guy's (accurate) statement about the mental capacity of some posters. A few loses to Canas, two tiebreaks to Djoko, and suddenly he's just 'another guy in the pack'. Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read your post, otherwise I'd be going out to buy a new laptop...

jaykay
08-19-2007, 10:12 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the Hewitt-Federer match and I thought Fed was a little lucky to pull it off. Esply in the 2nd set and the 3rd set, I thought Hewitt was playing out of his mind.

Fed's game was defly off y.day. The few games wherein he pulled off some jaw-dropping shots and stepped it up bigtime was when he was down a break in the 2nd as well as the 3rd set when was able to raise his game and break back to get even. The long rallies and the game of chess these two were playing against each other was facinating to watch.

The final set-tiebreaker was somewhat of a letdown though; almost as if Hewitt threw in the towel.

If Blake brings his A++ game today, I think we may be in for a good match; let's hope.

I'm not entirely sure whether Rochey ought to be given credit for Lleyton's resurgence; but it is good that the chasm between the top 2 in the game and the rest of the world is not that wide anymore.

Tennis is good, life is great...

Cheers, all.

tennispro11
08-19-2007, 10:59 AM
To me it seems as if Lleyton is playing with more confidence than he has in a long time. Now that he has his life kind of in order, he can focus on tennis more. I think having Roche around, who is a world class tennis coach, gave him the extra confidence boost he needed. I mean his old coach Roger Rasheed was a rugby player. Lleyton just needed a guy like Roche and Cahill as well to tell him he can still play with the big guys in tennis and can do well playing his game.

anointedone
08-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Ha ha! That is all the more classic, coming right after Tennis Guy's (accurate) statement about the mental capacity of some posters. A few loses to Canas, two tiebreaks to Djoko, and suddenly he's just 'another guy in the pack'. Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read your post, otherwise I'd be going out to buy a new laptop...

Learn to read, and you might understand what I am saying better. I never said he was just "another guy in the pack". I said he is coming back to the field a bit, meaning there isnt the big difference between him and the next few best there used to be. That is far from now being "another guy in the pack" but he isnt far out in front of everyone else anymore. He doesnt even lead the ATP Race BTW, regardless if he won the final of Cincinnati or not.

127mph
08-19-2007, 02:57 PM
hewitt just plays well when he plays alot of matches. if hes motivated he will not loose to anyone but federer. if he gets a good us open draw, finals for him

GasquetGOAT
12-08-2007, 08:55 AM
between Roddick and Hewitt, who do you think has more room to improve given the same coach?

rommil
12-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Coaching can only do so much. Depends more on the player's range of potential. Hewitt definitely has more than Roddick especially being more natural at net. Oh yeah the mobility part too.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
12-08-2007, 02:32 PM
The 2008 season will tell how much progress the Hewitt/Roche relationship has made, I think a longer period of time is needed before making an assessment. .

krystlel
12-08-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm looking forward to all the hype of Hewitt's game being remodelled, etc and this being the second coming of his career. Although I am curious myself to see how Hewitt's game changes within the next few months or so. Commentators and experts have been wanting him to change his game for ages which explains their excitement, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

But it's changes beneath the surface Hewitt is banking on to win his home grand slam in Melbourne.

Old mentor and new coach Tony Roche has a warning for the tennis world - be ready for the second coming of Hewitt.

He will be stronger and more versatile, Roche says. He can win the Australian Open and re-enter the world's top-four.

"It's not the start of his career, but it's a new section," Roche said.

"Right now I think he's feeling really healthy. His mind is fresh. He's ready to launch his second career. He's got the experience because of playing all those big matches and physically I think he should be at his peak. There's no reason why he can't be in the top four players in the world."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22894511-23216,00.html

LLEYTON Hewitt says he is being refashioned into a grand slam force by the man who also improved Roger Federer, Pat Rafter and Ivan Lendl en route to majors victories.

Hewitt said that he and Tony Roche are well into the process of adjusting aspects of his game. Roche has previously stated he wants to improve the world No.21's serve, aggression and unpredictability.

Hewitt has an immense respect for Roche and those who know Hewitt well, including Pat Rafter, say that his growing maturity has made him more receptive to change.

"We've been working on specific areas that we've been trying to improve and just adjust a bit before I go into matches," Hewitt said.

"In the next few weeks I will go more into practicing sets ... we will have to see if it (the changes to his game) pay off."

Hewitt and Roche were at Sydney's International Tennis Centre to unveil the Plexicushion courts and launch the Medibank International, the Sydney tournament the top-ranked Australian has won on four occasions.

Since employing Roche as his coach in July, many have already observed Hewitt dictating more rallies - often with more net play, rather than counter-punching.

"I am enjoying it and I think we have the right game plan and so hopefully it pays off," Hewitt said.

"It's long hours, trying to get the miles in my legs but also working on specific areas ... "
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22883593-23216,00.html

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
12-08-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm looking forward to all the hype of Hewitt's game being remodelled, etc and this being the second coming of his career. Although I am curious myself to see how Hewitt's game changes within the next few months or so. Commentators and experts have been wanting him to change his game for ages which explains their excitement, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22894511-23216,00.html

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22883593-23216,00.html

This is a good find, and if successful it should add an interesting mix to the ATP tour.

Turning Pro
12-09-2007, 01:46 AM
Hewitt will give the Open a shake: Roche December 9, 2007 - 6:06PM

Super-coach Tony Roche says Lleyton Hewitt will be primed to give the Australian Open a "real shake" next month and 2008 could be a "real big year for him".

Roche has been working with Hewitt to add variety and aggression to his game in the tour off-season and made it clear that nothing was being left to chance in terms of fitness and sheer hard work.

"He's doing a lot of training off court and doing three hours a day on court, so the first part of the preparation has gone very well," said Roche.

"There's no question that he's going to be so fit that the five set matches in the heat are not going to be a problem, it's just now getting the matches under his belt in (the) Adelaide and Sydney (tournaments), and I think if he can do that then he'll be a real threat."

Roche linked with Hewitt in July after world No.1 Roger Federer ended his successful union with the Australian who also previously guided former No.1 Ivan Lendl.

While Hewitt has slipped to his worst year-end ranking (No.21) since setting out on the tour, Roche had no doubt the former No.1 can be a major contender again.

"Yes most definitely. From what I've seen, last year there were glimpses, and I just think this year you know, 2008, could be a real big year for him," said Roche, who spent an hour on court in Melbourne on Sunday with the Australian team who won the world junior team title in August.

To get back to the sort of standing he had in 2001 and 2002 when he was the world's best he said Hewitt recognised the need to adjust his game.

"Whereas when he was dominating, that was a certain way the players played, now you've got (Rafael) Nadal and Federer playing a different type of tennis," said Roche.

"I know Lleyton feels very confident he can match it with those guys."

The changes would make his relentless baseline game less predicable.

"He's not going to go away from his strengths, but I think it's important for him to add a little bit of variation to his game and be a little bit more aggressive, look to finish the points and utilise a few other areas of his game," said Roche.

Roche believed Hewitt could give local fans plenty to cheer about in the last two weeks of January.

"It's something that means a lot to him, and he's already got a Wimbledon and a US, so he wants to win his own Australian Open.

"It's been too long since we've had a winner here, and I'm sure the public are going to get behind him and he'll give it a real shake."

2007 AAP

http://news.smh.com.au/hewitt-will-give-the-open-a-shake-roche/20071209-1fyd.html

I think he can get back in the top 6 in 2008, barring injuries.

gerikoh
12-09-2007, 01:57 AM
hewitt should improve his accuracy on his 1st serve. then learn to kill lots of shots. ;)

Maestro Nalbandian
12-09-2007, 03:45 AM
http://news.smh.com.au/hewitt-will-give-the-open-a-shake-roche/20071209-1fyd.html

I think he can get back in the top 6 in 2008, barring injuries.

Great news. Thanks for the post.

If Hewitt needs to master one shot, that is Back-hand down the line!

Breaker
12-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Great news. Thanks for the post.

If Hewitt needs to master one shot, that is Back-hand down the line!

Apparently from past coaches and some practice partners of his he actually possesses a great backhand up the line, the only problem is he doesn't want to go low percentage in a match...ever. I liked how Hewitt played from clay season on the the US Open so hopefully he really has improved even more so he can finally win that Aussie Open ;)

Hewitt Aussie
12-09-2007, 08:58 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/renaissance-man/2007/12/09/1197135287596.html
Hewitt is back BABY. C'MONNNN