PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in Canada

jman
08-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Hey, i'm thinking of moving over to Canada from Australia, and just wondering what the tennis scene is like out there? What i mean is competition. I play around 3 comps a week here in Australia, so just trying to find out what it is like over there?

Deuce
08-19-2007, 02:15 AM
You'll have to be a little more specific than "Canada".
It's a rather large country, you see...

This is also posted in the wrong section.

Marius_Hancu
08-19-2007, 03:43 AM
What's your age range?

I find that the children and teens have many more competitions than adults here. At the university level, many are going for tennis scholarships in the States (there are no similar things here, thus the university competition is stronger in the US).

See (in French):
http://www.tennis.qc.ca/tournois_frame.html
for Quebec (where Montreal is)

Still, in Montreal and Toronto (which are the major cities in terms of tennis, to which you can add Vancouver) you would find adult amateur tournaments every week, at $20-40/pop. But quite rarely 3 a week, as you mention.

Also, I think the competitions are less here than in France or the US (esp Florida or California). The outdoor season is shorter (May-October), but there are many indoor facilities (for a price, say $20-30/hour/court), esp in the larger cities. People coming from France have clearly more competitive experience than us amateurs here.

Also, pls mind this is a hockey country:-)

Silent
08-19-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure how it works elsewhere, but on the south shore of Montreal, you can find lots of outdoor courts for free, some nicer than others.

Don't expect to go to a tennis court and finding matches or hitting partners but in tennis clubs you won't have a problem finding people to play or compete with.

daddy
08-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Come to serbia . Bozoljac will hit you 250kph serves reg at Djukic academy .. ;) And partizan tennis club is full of potential = Djokovic Ivanovic .. Joking, go to Mallorca, you can play with good guys all the time there.