PDA

View Full Version : My serve + Vids! (Inspired by Federer)

Purostaff
08-18-2007, 11:58 PM
The first serve in the vid is the only one that's not in. These are also first serves only.

The vid includes side and back view. There's also slow motion for each view.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysBcBQ14u_w

The problem I have with my serve is consistency issue on tossing the ball during a match. Please comment/critique my serve the best you can. Thanks a lot! :)

P.S. Here's the info I put with the vid (in case you missed it):

Background:
-I've been playing tennis for almost 3 years, and I've been studying Roger Federer's serve for quite some time now. Here's what I have so far. Please analyze/critique it. Danke.

-Also, Here's a vid of Federer himself serving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBptndD3Q9U

AsgerHO
08-19-2007, 02:27 AM
Must say it looks really really good, and it definetely helps that you have it in slow as well.

Haven´t really anything negative to say about it - good work

dave333
08-19-2007, 04:21 AM
Its good. Nothing really wrong that you desperately need to fix except that you said your ball toss consistency can go a little out of whack.

lkdog
08-19-2007, 06:44 AM
I am jealous.
:)

Nice work.

njboy
08-19-2007, 06:59 AM
if the placement is also good, you are great.

the link if federer doesn't work

njboy
08-19-2007, 07:26 AM
if the placement is also good, you are great.

the link if federer doesn't work

how high do you toss your ball? compared with your height? I thought my toss is too low after looking your video.

king of swing
08-19-2007, 08:19 AM
thats a really nice vid and it looks really close to federer too

ShcMad
08-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Nice video quality. Plus, the serve does look like Federer's. And, technique seems to be there.

Hobomagic
08-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Nice stroke overall. Keep practicing nad you will have a fantastic serve. Good luck

Purostaff
08-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Again, I'd like to fine tune my serve as much as possible. So, shoot me with all the advice/suggestions you can give (every little details count!).

That being said, here's my insight on the serve: Other than the tossing inconsistency, I feel that I could work on my arc (increase in upper torso bend) and lean into the court more using my hip (make a bow shape with my body). Tell me what you guys think of this.

I'll try to make a clip comparing me and Fed side-to-side in one screen when I have time. Until then, practice hard and stay healthy. :D

P.S. I fixed Federer's serve link in the OP

DraGoNoFfiR3
08-19-2007, 10:11 AM
what is your NTRP

Jonny S&V
08-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Again, I'd like to fine tune my serve as much as possible. So, shoot me with all the advice/suggestions you can give (every little details count!).

That being said, here's my insight on the serve: Other than the tossing inconsistency, I feel that I could work on my arc (increase in upper torso bend) and lean into the court more using my hip (make a bow shape with my body). Tell me what you guys think of this.

I'll try to make a clip comparing me and Fed side-to-side in one screen when I have time. Until then, practice hard and stay healthy. :D

P.S. I fixed Federer's serve link in the OP

I did a double take, and you're right, a little more leaning with the hip would help. What is your % of using each serve (flat, kick, slice...) on your 1st serve (assuming you always kick your second)?

Vision84
08-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Throwing your front hip out a bit more into the court is the one thing I noticed from your serve.

You have a nice smooth motion, use your legs well and get a nice shoulder turn. Good work!

ipodtennispro
08-19-2007, 12:57 PM
The first serve in the vid is the only one that's not in. These are also first serves only.

The vid includes side and back view. There's also slow motion for each view.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysBcBQ14u_w

The problem I have with my serve is consistency issue on tossing the ball during a match. Please comment/critique my serve the best you can. Thanks a lot! :)

P.S. Here's the info I put with the vid (in case you missed it):

Background:
-I've been playing tennis for almost 3 years, and I've been studying Roger Federer's serve for quite some time now. Here's what I have so far. Please analyze/critique it. Danke.

-Also, Here's a vid of Federer himself serving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBptndD3Q9U

I think you have done a great (excellent) job on learning the platform stance. I wouldn't exactly call it a copy of Federer though. My only suggestion now is that you learn from this stance a kick, slice and flat serve with full disguise. Can you? This is what separates the field. I just finished watching the Jankovich Henin final. Everyone is teeing off on Jankovich's second serve.
She doesn't seem too frustrated though, however, imagine if she had a better serve, more variety.

Swissv2
08-19-2007, 01:37 PM
good serves, and nice racquet speed. Make sure the toss is released at your 2:00 position. keep your eyes on the ball a bit longer.

Purostaff
08-19-2007, 06:55 PM
what is your NTRP

Between 3.5 and 4.0

What is your % of using each serve (flat, kick, slice...) on your 1st serve (assuming you always kick your second)?

I rarely use slice for my first serve, and I almost always kick on my second serve. As for percentage, I average about 2-4 double faults in a set. My first serve range from 40-70%. Needless to say, I still have lots of work to do :)

keep your eyes on the ball a bit longer.

I've been working on that as well. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks again for all your insights!

Zets147
08-19-2007, 08:11 PM
How does your serve hold up in matches? Do you still have the pace that was shown in the video, or are the serves in the video your "practice serves" and not your "match serves"?

smoothtennis
08-20-2007, 09:22 AM
That's a nice smooth motion, and good timing/turning into the court out front. You did all the things I was looking for, so kudos. I think with a motion like that you will get plenty of pace without overworking the serve with your muscles. Once it is very consistent, and comfortable, you can start adding more snap and power, plus experiment with placement. Very nice to see this vid.

shindemac
08-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Good serve. U seem to be doing a lot of things right. Just keep practicing and working on it. As good as it is now, don't be content with it and keep trying to improve it. Before u know it, you'll have a monster serve. If your ball toss is a little inconsistent, you might want to work on that. Inconsistent toss = inconsistent serve.

TennsDog
08-20-2007, 11:12 AM
It's a nice serve and nothing is technically wrong. Some things could probably help you get some more pace/spin/consistency/etc., but I find a lot of that is trial and error. You can try adding more of a bowing motion, but when I did that, I found it to put strain on my lower back and side. I have since kept my shoulders more or less above my hips and the pain is gone with no downside. You seem to be coming out of your serve a little off balance and almost falling a bit forward and to the left. I'm not sure what exactly is causing this, but it looks like it may be due to over rotation of the shoulders. Try this: when you are in the trophy stance with maximum knee bend, drop your right shoulder a bit more. Imagine yourself trying to make your shoulders form a vertical line (obviously you won't be able to, but I find exaggeration often helps). I think this will allow you to get a bit more racket head speed, as well as use up more of the energy in your upper body during the swing so that it isn't carrying you off balance after the serve.