PDA

View Full Version : Best pro matches of the year so far ?

carac
08-19-2007, 06:40 AM
I just saw the Montreal final and I have to admit that was one of the most interesting matches of this year, together with the finals at Roland Garros and Wimbledon ... in your opinion what other memorable matches have been so far this year ??? (and I speak more about the actual play, and not the importance or surprise of the result)

Dimonator133
08-19-2007, 06:46 AM
finals of Roland Garros?? That match was terrible.

Wimbledon and Montreal stand out. Roddick-Gasquet at Wimby was also solid.

Leon22
08-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Yesterday's semi final match between Federer and Hewitt was entertaining. I really thought Hewitt would win this time. The only thing, the 3rd set tie break was disappointing.

daddy
08-19-2007, 06:49 AM

Wimbledon and Montreal stand out. Roddick-Gasquet at Wimby was also solid.

By all means French was ******. I felt like Fed was there to take a beating, never once did I think he can beat nadal. As I thought that nadal could have won wimby, which came to me as a big surprise, praises to nadal for that. Djoko played few thrillers against gonzales and hewitt in wimby ..

Dimonator133
08-19-2007, 06:59 AM
well if we're talking about "actual play," as the OP said, Hewitt-Federer isn't in the top 20

i didn't see much of Canas-Federer 7-6 in the third (I think the second one of Canas' two victories) but perhaps that was stellar?

natasha_nana
08-19-2007, 07:36 AM
Yeah Wimbledon had a lot of good matches this year (in the Mens).

Shnyder-Sharapova at the French was pretty good.

Federer's 'exhibition' against Andy at the AO semis was pretty spectacular to see as well of course.

hyrulemaster
08-19-2007, 07:39 AM
i agree with yesterday's semi between federer and hewitt. i was jumping out of my chair supporting hewitt (literally), it was very dramatic the effect that one foot fault had on him which gave fed a crucial break point. but lleyton came out on top.

wimbledon final was great. montreal final as well. fed vs. nadal at hamburg - the great play of a champion in the final set.
i cant think of very many australian open matches which were great.

daddy
08-19-2007, 07:45 AM
I dont like contests so much. I loooved the way haas blown off hewit with each shot being perfec in smoe final earlier this year, the same tournament where he did nto face one break point against him during the whole tour.

Zaragoza
08-19-2007, 07:46 AM
I just saw the Montreal final and I have to admit that was one of the most interesting matches of this year, together with the finals at Roland Garros and Wimbledon ... in your opinion what other memorable matches have been so far this year ??? (and I speak more about the actual play, and not the importance or surprise of the result)

Some other memorable matches I can remember now:

Cañas-Federer in Miami.
Nadal-Davydenko in Rome.
Henman-Moya in Wimbledon.

Batoussai
08-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Henin - Paszek was solid in Doha i guess... Or was it Dubai???

Klatu Verata Necktie
08-19-2007, 09:18 AM
How about Canas vs. PM Matheiu in Montreal.

tennispro11
08-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Henman vs Moya at Wimbledon. I was on the edge of my seat that last set. It was unbelievable. Best match of this year by far.

guedoguedo
08-19-2007, 10:05 AM

yes!! that was incredible

masha4ever#1
08-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Sharapova vs Pin at the AO........an unbelievable marathon battle and fortunatley Maria managed to win.:D

Moose Malloy
08-20-2007, 12:25 PM
San Jose, Murray d Karlovic
Queen's, Roddick d Mahut

Both had more contrast than most matches(S&V vs baseliner) in years.

I'm finding best of 3 set matches easier to get into as I get older.

Lionheart
08-20-2007, 12:35 PM
tommy robredo vs albert martin on the estoril open (this was not on TV, i saw it on the tournament site) was amazing as well

onkystomper
08-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Davydenko vs Nadal. One of the clay court master series semi finals.

goforgold99
08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Definitely the Wimbledon Final for me!

Indrid Cold
08-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Wibledon final, Gonza vs Tipsaravic at Wibledon was pretty good, and Rafa vs Murray at the AO

dima
08-20-2007, 04:30 PM

Couldn't agree more, best match of the year in my opinion.

Pete Semper
08-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Wimbledon Final without any doubt...But the year is not finished yet, I cant wait to watch some matches at the USO, ciment is the most interesting surface.

Dilettante
08-20-2007, 04:39 PM
In terms of thrill I can't really say.

In terms of tactical depth and technical skills, for me the best match was the Wimbledon final. The playing at certains points was insane: the two best players of the present showing their amazing weaponry.

phoony
08-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Roland Garros........we were all jump and joy when Nadal defeated Fed.

Klatu Verata Necktie
08-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Definitely the Wimbledon Final for me!

I agree. That was one of my favorite matches of all time.

Klatu Verata Necktie
08-20-2007, 06:20 PM
yes!! that was incredible

I've been a Canas admirer for some time (hard for me to love him since he was suspended for steriod use, but that's another matter), but I had never really been a fan of PM Mathieu until this match. Canas was playing at a very high level and Mathieu handled him brilliantly.

tt_the_man
08-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Battle of the Surfaces.

The AO should tear up their ace rebound and use half clay / half grass.

snowwhite
08-21-2007, 03:26 AM

Why was terrible?! is it because Nadal saved 17 break points? or because of the stingy winners here and there?!