PDA

View Full Version : Take it on the rise or take it at the highest point?

Golden Retriever
08-19-2007, 07:49 AM
When you try to put away a short ball, is it a good idea to take it on the rise or take it when it bounces to its highest?

ChocolatePie
08-19-2007, 08:24 AM
A short ball...like you're going to be running in when putting it away? If that's the case I do it when it's at the highest point, but if it's at the baseline I'll do it off the rise.

Hobomagic
08-19-2007, 08:29 AM
If your trying to put it away you should probably take it higher and swing a little more flat.

TennisFrkJC92
08-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Taking it on the rise is always better but you get more errors that way. If you're at the baseline and not going to hit a winner, you should hit it at its highest point just to be safe. If you're going for a winner, then take it on the rise or in the air.

TennisFrkJC92
08-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Oh my bad didn't read the short ball part.

Always take it on the rise. If you let it stay in the air for too long, you will be forced back and your opponent will have plenty of time to react.

wihamilton
08-19-2007, 03:02 PM
this is for a short ball, so you'd want to let the ball get up in the strike zone so you can hit flatter / harder / "down" on the ball. technically you can still hit the ball as it is rising, but you don't want to hit it when it's still low, if that makes sense. hitting the ball when it's still "low" forces you to put more topspin on the ball to pull it in, limiting your ability to be aggressive.

Bagumbawalla
08-19-2007, 03:14 PM
I agree, in almost every case it would be good to hit the short ball at its peak. However, if for some reason the short ball is also a high bouncer- then hit it on the rise while it is still in your comfort zone.

ProStaff Legend
08-19-2007, 04:52 PM
well, u could take it @ its height to create a sharper angle

kingkong
08-19-2007, 04:55 PM
hit the ball at the height that suits you best

Off The Wall
08-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Wihamilton is correct. Nobody should want to hit a low ball close to the net. You must lift it back over.

TennsDog
08-20-2007, 11:23 AM
I suck at hitting any balls that are higher than about my belly button or maybe a little higher. So I much rather hit balls on the rise than at the highest point, especially when that point is usually around shoulder height. That way, you can get extra power and take away time without having to swing as hard.

jck01
08-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Oh my bad didn't read the short ball part.

Always take it on the rise. If you let it stay in the air for too long, you will be forced back and your opponent will have plenty of time to react.

I agree. If you're timing is off then I wouldn't hit it on the rise but if you're timing isn't bad, you should hit on the rise. It's harder for your opponent to react to your shot.

Santoro071
08-20-2007, 03:09 PM
If I wanted to put it away, I'd hit it at its highest point to get a better angle. I could also hit it on the rise to one of the corners to set up an easy volley as my next shot and put it away then.

Frank Silbermann
08-20-2007, 04:42 PM
If the ball has speed to penetrate, but lands short, you should take it on the rise. By the time it reaches the top of its bounce it will have gone deep and you'll have lost your opportunity to attack.

On the other hand, if the ball is a pusher's poop shot, or maybe a mis-hit -- a shot that goes high and short, with little forward momentum, then it would be stupid to take it on the rise. You'd gain little in court position, you'd be crossing the path of the ball (which is difficult), and your shot will have to flirt with the tape. It would be far better to let the ball bounce up high and (still) short, and then spike it.

TENNIS_99
08-20-2007, 05:55 PM
don't think too much about what's the best way to deal with short balls. just need to push forward,hurt your opponent. most of the time it's translated that you take the balls on the rise, but really you want to give as little time as possible for your opponent to react and set up and put away the next one coming to you.

babolatpdtp
08-20-2007, 07:18 PM
If you can, always hit on the rise. It takes away the time from the opponent and you can still get good pace off it.

Narcissist
08-21-2007, 08:52 AM
The lower you let the ball drop, the more you lose your advantage since you have to lift it back over. Hit it at the highest point (assuming this is a reasonable height!).

Adjani Jacildo
08-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Of course it all depends on a lot of things. How high is the ball gonna end up bouncing? How short is it? How much spin? What is your intention - a clean winner or an approach shot? How good are you?

I feel that the closer you are to the net, the wiser it would be to take the ball at a height higher than the net.

If it's really short and you intend to slice and approach, a slice on the rise isn't bad, you'll get to steal a little extra pace.

It's so crazy, there are so many ways to do it. :)

LuckyR
08-21-2007, 10:44 AM
When you try to put away a short ball, is it a good idea to take it on the rise or take it when it bounces to its highest?

As usual: it depends. Only you know what your chance of successfully putting a particular ball away is. Your skill level will determine the right answer. The trend is: on the rise leads to a more sharply hit return that is a bit lower (necessitating hitting a bit up on the ball to get it over the net). Translation: lower percentage shot.

Hitting at the peak is the opposite.

mucat
08-21-2007, 11:35 AM
If it is a short ball, like other said, you will want to hit it on the rise and at the highest point within your strike zone.

You want to hit it on the rise to cut down your opponent's time to react;
You want to hit it in your strike zone to produce a high quality shot and minimize error;
You want to hit it at the highest point (if possible) in your strike zone because you want more net clearance to minimize error and you want to hit down on the shot to produce more pace.