PDA

View Full Version : Racket Tuning is for either hackers or pros?

Thunnus
10-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Curiosly, I rarely see college players messing with rackets with lead tapes and such. I have been following many highly ranked ncaa div. I team matchs and I have even been hitting with some of them, however, I have yet to see any of them with any lead on their rackets. Plus, they don't seem too fussy about messing with their equipment (rackets, strings, etc.) In fact, most of them, play with whatever the type of string that is provided to them by their coach. I have talked to some of them about this, and they seemed a bit puzzled why club players would want to mess around so much with weights and different strings, etc.

I am wondering whether only the touring pros and 4.0/4.5 club hackers are into the equipment so much or is the TW the magnet for the equipment enthusiasts?

Chopin
10-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Yeah I've noticed that also. Good players are good regardless of equipment. The club player obsession with strings, lead tape, balance etc., is a little overboard. I've played with some amazingly good college players and most of them seem to just find a racket they like and string it tight without any of the nonsense that goes on these boards. There are always exceptions however. So to answer your question, I think that most of the "4.0/4.5 hackers" you describe just enjoy messing with their equipment, hopefully they realize that their overall tennis game is not really effected very much the minor changes that people obsess about on these boards.

Power Game
10-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Your right. I'm a college level player. Most of us (my team) string with what is cheap and durable. We all use stock racquets except for 1 kid who adds a couple of grams at 12 o'clock. And we don't change racquets very often, we look for new racquets when we break ours and find out it is discontinued. While we can tell the difference between our racquets (unmatched) we don't care enough about it.

perfmode
10-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Benjamin

Trey
10-24-2004, 12:58 PM
daayyummm....

You mean I am not going to the next level with my lead tape, power pads, luxilon big banger? :x

Power Game
10-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Just don't over do it. Don't get over-sensetive about your equipment, remember tennis is a game. And a good player can play well without habing to fine tune every single thing

Trey
10-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Just don't over do it. Don't get over-sensetive about your equipment, remember tennis is a game. And a good player can play well without habing to fine tune every single thing

That was a joke :lol:

A 4.5 guy I play with beats me with a OS Hammer all the time. 98% of your play is about you not your racquet.

10-25-2004, 04:30 AM
I agree 100%. It's all about the magician, not his wand. I rotate bewteen 3 different racquets (VT98 Pro, Dunlop MW200G and an X1) because I enjoy gear and I like all 3 sticks for different reasons. While each is a 'players' racquet in terms of specs they each have unique playing characteristics. All of them are 100% stock and I can play equally well with any of them.

ferrari_827
10-25-2004, 05:53 AM
Yes, I'm sure it's true that really good players (5.5 and above) aren't to finicky about their equipment and more focused on their tennis game.

However, I think part of the fun of playing tennis is trying different rackets, strings, etc. Maybe if we were so good we wouldn't care.

perfmode
10-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Honestly, I play a lot better with my HPS's than with my old HH 6.3. The balance and weight are so different that I can't get used to the HH if I just pull it out of my bag and try it out. It feels completely awkward.

Gaines Hillix
10-25-2004, 04:54 PM
perfmode, I have an old HH6.3 and tailweighted it until it was 6-8 pts head light. I was amazed at how well it played(especially serves and from the baseline). It doesn't really match my s/v, mostly doubles game, but for an all-court or baseline player it's a sleeper.

Power Game
10-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Honestly, I play a lot better with my HPS's than with my old HH 6.3. The balance and weight are so different that I can't get used to the HH if I just pull it out of my bag and try it out. It feels completely awkward.

Yeah, I bet most people will say the same thing. The thing is, do you play better with any HPS or just a specific one with a specific setup?

perfmode
10-25-2004, 06:33 PM

Yeah, I bet most people will say the same thing. The thing is, do you play better with any HPS or just a specific one with a specific setup?

I play better with the HPS stock than I do with the HH 6.3. The HH6.3 is just too light and flimsy-feeling. My HPS is solid and I am confortable going for shots with it. It just has a lot more mass behind it and the ball doesn't really bully me around as much.

Dopke
10-25-2004, 09:35 PM
I am speculating... but it could be that the 4.0/4.5 club player needs that lead tape or string that they think they need to help their game out. Obviously the 5.0 player and up will not need to pay as much attention to these things as they have already mastered their techinques and skills so much that these things are irrelevant.

Anyone feel me on this?

NoBadMojo
10-26-2004, 07:58 AM
it's all over the place...lots of better players tweak their gear...lots of lesser players that should be improving their game, choose to tweak their gear. some people add lead because other players add lead, and they've no clue why they are doing it, or what they hope to gain. most importantly, some better player are sensitive or notice small diferences more than others..typically, people who just bash the ball dont really know or know much about tweaking and people relying on touch and feel and angles and spins and stuff, are more aware of their gear....it's a mixed bag, but good players can use just about anything pretty well. tweaking..to me, is for a better player..someone at a level where getting a couple extra free points a set from tweaking is important. if you are <4.0 and tweaking your gear, you're missing the boat..you should be concentrating on your stroke production instead..just find a decent bat and work on your game rather than fret over your gear.

Japanese Maple
10-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Most good players of at least a 4.5 or higher could definitely benefit
from
adding lead tape and experimenting with gut or gut/synth. combination. Look at the pros-they all play with a heavy racquet and mostly use gut strings. Ideally, you would benefit the most from swinging the heaviest racquet you can handle while still maintaining racquet speed and maneuverability. The average males pro racquet is 13 oz. Mass plus velocity equals maximum
ball speed-look no further than what Pete Sampras did to his racquets!

basmpu
10-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Don't forget that adding weight can be used for medical reasons as well, to dampen shock from impact.
I'm just getting back in to tennis right now but from my experience until the mid 1990's I would said that many racquets play pretty well UNTIL you start hitting some serious heavy pace like the pro's do. The momentum from a truly fast and heavy ball can give some stock racquets convulsions.
Us amateurs likely interpret "heavy pace' according to our own skill levels. A 3.5's idea of heavy pace is much different from a 5.5's. The 6.0-7.0 equivalent of heavy pace surely could cause physical injury to some amateur arms/wrists!
But, I am completely inexperienced with this new racquet technology so I can't say anything positive about how a modern 9, 10, 11 ounce racquet may react to a 120mph serve. Luckily the laws of physics haven't changed much in the last few years. ;-)

As for college players and their seeming lack of racquet modifications: I would think that an astute coach is far more interested in producing players that are proficient in physical and mental tennis rather than risk them becoming 'disillusioned' with racquet modifications. Racquet mod's are only a small percentage, and maybe the least percentage of the total player.

Thunnus
10-26-2004, 11:04 AM
My point was the some of these real good players find what they want and stick with it instead of constantly tweaking and obsessing about their equipment.

As other than the serve, 6.0-7.0 don't hit it that hard. It is the their ability to hit deep heavy shots consistently that separates them from the rest. Don't assume that they hit at some ungoddly pace that you can't handle without some magic wand.

silverwyvern4
10-27-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm a 4.0 player and I used a hyper sledgehammer before I came to these boards and realized that too much power in a racquet wasn't actually a good thing and was hurting my game. So I think a racquet can affect your playing if it's as newbish as a 2.0 racquet.

WYK
10-28-2004, 06:49 PM
That doesn't make sense. You are a hack unless you are either a pro using tape and balance your racquet or a college kid not doing so? When I played college varsity, along with a nationally ranked teamate, we used plenty of lead, and played with strings to find the combo that would work well for our unique bodies and swings. College kids still do this today. I recall seeing people in high school do this in the 80's. There's nothing wrong with doing it, whether pro or not. Afterall, if you get 3 sticks from Head, Prince, Yonex, or Wilson, chances are you will get 3 different weights with 3 slightly different balance points. As true then as now. I had two Prince Woodies, one with weight, one without. Both weighed the same.

WYK

equinox
07-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I am speculating... but it could be that the 4.0/4.5 club player needs that lead tape or string that they think they need to help their game out. Obviously the 5.0 player and up will not need to pay as much attention to these things as they have already mastered their techinques and skills so much that these things are irrelevant.

Anyone feel me on this?

Don't believe player without developed technique can detect a performance of a few grams of lead tape. for players higher than 4.5+ probably more for the peace of mind, knowing all there rackets are the same.

goosala
07-17-2009, 12:12 PM
If I were a Division I player I would be on the court practicing all day instead of messing around on this board. :) Most of them are ranked since high school or even younger so they get sponsored racquets and shoes. Whoever sponsors them and whatever they get is what they use. It's as simple as that. Most players here are playing for fun and not professionally. We like to have a forum to discuss equipment thus the reason TW has one is because of enthusiasts like us.

sboo
07-17-2009, 12:35 PM
I help string for a top 25 D1 school and besides a few pieces of lead tape the players know what type of string they like and that is about the end of it.

120mphBodyServe
07-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Racket tuning? It's spelt RACQUET...
And no, it's not for hackers... I resent that sentiment...
I also resent the opinion stated here that it's mostly about the player and not the racquet...
You can't be a good player without the right racquet for your game..
And you can't be a good player if you start out hitting with an overpowered granny stick...
When I started playing it wasn't with any widebody graphite stick... So I had to learn the proper technique to get any pace on my shots...
Plus back then 10ounce and less racquets were unheard of then..
My old PK would've been just under or around 12 ounces...
So I prefer the feel and comfort that a heavier racquet provides..
So leadtape is a neccesity today... Since all the racquets today are so damn lightweight...

pgreg
07-17-2009, 05:18 PM
I can honestly say I am a half level lower when I play with a heavy racquet.

markwillplay
07-17-2009, 05:50 PM
I agree...it is not the equipment, but having said that, strings make more of a difference for me than a div 1 college player at 20 years old bro...I can't use some of the cheap poly's they use becasue of arm issues. I do agree that lead and such seems like sort of a waste of time unless you have a stick that is way way out of spec for you as you improve and you don't want to buy another one.

I have come to realize that I have a feel I like and especially on the grip. I do think that makes a difference.

Spinnersrock
07-17-2009, 07:56 PM
you are probably right once someone gets a stick that suits their game, which means that once a player reaches a level where they need and benefit from a players frame, they could probably be great with almost any players frame. Only when their game goes to the pro level would they have the need to tweak further.

My personal game went to a whole new level with a new frame that allowed my natural tempo and swing speed drop balls at the baseline consistently. Until I got this frame, I was trying to adjust my stroke to fit the racquet.

mtommer
07-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Besides not caring about their racquet specs, many college players also don't care about nutrition, drilling, studying strategy or weight lifting/fitness. They don't care about becoming pro or maximizing their ability. They are simply on the team and play well enough as they are and playing tennis is more about fun overall. Sure they're competitive but only to a point and certainly not to the point where they are willing to dedicate their life to tennis like a pro must. That's why so many drop the game when they graduate. They move on to "real" life.

jasonmiller
07-17-2009, 11:38 PM
What is it with this forum and people bringing back threads from 5 years ago??

Brned
07-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Trying something that suits you is part of the fun... Don't try to spoil it :)

Dark_Angel85
07-18-2009, 06:50 AM
honestly... racquet tech and anything related to the technology of tennis equipments are not something everyone knows. Even very good tennis players might never indulge in such detailed knowledge about racquet tech cause their too busy trying to get the best feel or best strokes out of their current racquets.

that is done by pure grinding and drilling.

i wouldn't equate 'good racquet tech knowledge' = 'good player' anyway. they're two very different areas of 'interest'

mtommer
07-18-2009, 03:03 PM
What is it with this forum and people bringing back threads from 5 years ago??

People using the search function like they should be.