PDA

View Full Version : Real Cobra Skin Leather Grip!?! - Pics

Yonex.
08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
I played a match with a friend today. I couldn't believe it...
He had real Cobra leather replacement grip. I was pretty shocked and thought it was fake. But he said it was real. I told him that you couldn't buy snake skin replacement grip, and he told me that he didn't buy it, he said he made it. He bought a Cobra leather belt from the popular internet auction site. After he bought the belt, he unstitched the skin or something. He then got his mother to stitch it to some thing else underneath to make it stick and trimmed it to make it look good. ( thats what he told me :confused: pretty smart.)

It looked pretty good. But the texture was so weird when i held it. I know they are people who are against animal skin and animal cruelty , please don't be offended by this post.

That grip was pretty amazing. Here is the closest image I could find of the grip.
The grip is almost like this, but different textures and color.

http://thesnakeman.homestead.com/web_cobra_for_belt.JPG

nickb
08-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Why the hell would someone do that?....if he wants a leather grip why not just go and buy a wilson or babolat etc....very strange.

Yonex.
08-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Why the hell would someone do that?....if he wants a leather grip why not just go and buy a wilson or babolat etc....very strange.

Dude, I totally agree with you. I'm shocked. This is very very unique.

Zets147
08-19-2007, 03:55 PM
ask him if you can take a pic next time

Klatu Verata Necktie
08-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Its a cool novelty. If you've got the time and the inclination, why not?

Yonex.
08-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Here is the MOST closest picture I can find. The grip looks almost EXACTLY like this.
I might try it.

Here is the link:

http://www.implora.com/gifts.asp?st=0224&jd=Implora%20Natural%20Cobra%20Head%20Snake%20Belt&k=a

Here is just a cobra picture for those who don't know what the mighty cobra is.

http://www.crichtonmiller.com/cobra.jpg

BLAST
08-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Was it comfortable?

Craig Sheppard
08-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Here's a Cobra too....

http://www.gijoe25th.com/news/data/upimages/cobracommander.jpg

Cruzer
08-19-2007, 06:10 PM
I can't believe that a cobra skin grip would be very effective. Purely a novelty.

Rafa freak
08-19-2007, 06:22 PM
It would be worthless to spend 100 dollars on a grip and do you know how
useless that is.

Yonex.
08-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Was it comfortable?

I guarantee you, It was not that comfortable as you think it will be.
The scales were pretty smooth and had not much tack. I'm sure the skin of a cobra is not much different from a python or any other snake.

However! There is nothing a couple of packs of Tourna grip wont fix.

ALSO: The belt was 20 dollars, plus 6 dollars shipping. I don't think thats bad.
He did get it stitched and trimmed it as a replacement grip. Once again
I don't want to offend any people that don't believe in using animal parts
for luxury, or animal cruelty.

I am not talking about this grip, though it IS probably better than real cobra: :-D

http://www.klip.eu/shop/images/kobrablack2.jpg

JW10S
08-19-2007, 08:33 PM
A cobra skin grip--I love that. It reminds of an old guy who used to hang aroung the courts when I was a kid who used to make his own suede grips. He would cut them really thick, or maybe I should wide, so only 2 or 3 wraps of the grip would cover the handle. Didn't feel too bad either...

ProStaff Legend
08-20-2007, 12:13 PM
cobra skin? thats pretty odd, doesnt sound very practical either

Hidious
08-21-2007, 03:07 AM
Common. Our world is ruled by corporations. My dad build a table with some trees. "What?? Why not just go and buy one at IKEA?" I went in the woods and picked up some raspberries. "What? Why not just go to the grocery and buy some?"

Let's not be companies' slaves. I applaude your friend for his creative mind.

Rulo
08-21-2007, 03:41 AM
I applaude your friend for his creative mind.

For being creative or for killing a Cobra?? ;)

goober
08-21-2007, 06:14 AM
For being creative or for killing a Cobra?? ;)

Well at least he didn't want to try out a human skin grip. :)

reptiles have skin that is way too slippery and the durability probably is pretty low. I can't see how that grip actually is going to be of any real utility.

Automatix
08-21-2007, 06:33 AM
Hmmm... aren't they endangered species? For sure the King Cobra is listed in the C.I.T.E.S. II appendix of endangered species.... if this animal Was protected your friend broke the law! Buying anything made from such animals should be prohibited! I understand using leather from cows, pigs etc. and I even recommend it so nothing goes to waste... but snakes? Leave those poor animals in peace!

BTW reptile skin isn't slippery you're refering to amphibia, some of them resemble reptiles e.g. the Salamander... the truth is reptiles and amphibia in the XVIII/XIX century were thought of as a single group of animals...

stevekim8
08-21-2007, 03:40 PM
well that cobra was killed already when they were made into the belt, not when they were made into grip

so i don't call that animal cruelty

i mean, not making that belt into a grip isn't going to bring cobra back to life

:D

Hidious
08-21-2007, 08:41 PM
well that cobra was killed already when they were made into the belt, not when they were made into grip

so i don't call that animal cruelty

i mean, not making that belt into a grip isn't going to bring cobra back to life

:D

I like your logic :-D ...but on the other end, buying the belt would lead to another cobra assination in order to make another one. I never really liked cobras anyway.

lakis92
08-22-2007, 02:39 AM
Your friend might be a little bit stupid....

nickb
08-23-2007, 06:49 AM
Common. Our world is ruled by corporations. My dad build a table with some trees. "What?? Why not just go and buy one at IKEA?" I went in the woods and picked up some raspberries. "What? Why not just go to the grocery and buy some?"

Let's not be companies' slaves. I applaude your friend for his creative mind.

What are you talking about?.....I found it strange that someone would buy a belt, get it made into a tennis grip and then play with it. Seems strange when you can buy a leather grip for less than he paid for the belt and it will work 50 times better. Waste of time.

Hidious
08-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, i never really knew leather grips were 50 times better than cobra skin. When have you tried the cobra skin? Oh, let me guess, you just assumed that it sucked without ever trying one.

nickb
08-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, i never really knew leather grips were 50 times better than cobra skin. When have you tried the cobra skin? Oh, let me guess, you just assumed that it sucked without ever trying one.

Why would I need to try one :confused:

Its the skin of a COBRA for god sake....it wont make a good grip...the skin is slippery.

Hidious
08-23-2007, 10:25 AM
I just read my last post and noticed it was kind of cocky and arrogant. Sorry about that, all i want is good argumentation and here's my point: Most people use overgrips over leather so what if it's slippery? And i'm not sure it's actually that slippery, have you ever touched a snake? The look really slippery but it's weird when you get to take one.