PDA

View Full Version : USTA adult levels 3.0-5.0?

alex81
08-19-2007, 03:01 PM
I am 26yrs old I use to play tennis as a junior. I want to start playing tournaments but want to know what level can I play. I did not play any high school or tournaments just pratice for fitness. I live in dallas tx and want to find out where can I go to get tested? thanks and its been almost ten years since I last played!!!!

wihamilton
08-19-2007, 03:05 PM
um... i would say closer to 3.0 if you haven't played in 10 years and you are "fat..." heh. this question can't really be answered w/out a video or knowing how you play in match situations. however, if you didn't play in high school or tournaments you definitely won't be match tough, so that drops your level regardless of your stroke mechanics.

if you take a lesson i'm sure the coach can accurately gauge your level + set you up w/some ppl to play.

alex81
08-19-2007, 03:10 PM
um... i would say closer to 3.0 if you haven't played in 10 years and you are "fat..." heh. this question can't really be answered w/out a video or knowing how you play in match situations. however, if you didn't play in high school or tournaments you definitely won't be match tough, so that drops your level regardless of your stroke mechanics.

if you take a lesson i'm sure the coach can accurately gauge your level + set you up w/some ppl to play.

Thanks thats cool I guess the next step would be find a coach to take a lesson from to guage my level. I know there are a lot of clubs in the area so that should not be to hard to do.

NLBwell
08-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Dallas is a good tennis area, so you should be able to find a lot of people to play once you get a connection or two.

raiden031
08-19-2007, 06:35 PM
What I would do is go to a tennis club or else a website that promotes tennis in your area and post an ad looking for tennis partners. Once you arrange some matches, ask the people you are playing against what their level is and use your performance against them to determinine your own level. I don't think a tennis coach can determine your level as accurately as actually playing against players with legitimate ratings.

goober
08-19-2007, 09:59 PM
What I would do is go to a tennis club or else a website that promotes tennis in your area and post an ad looking for tennis partners. Once you arrange some matches, ask the people you are playing against what their level is and use your performance against them to determinine your own level. I don't think a tennis coach can determine your level as accurately as actually playing against players with legitimate ratings.

I would actually ask if they have USTA computer ratings. I have met "internet 4.5-5.0" players that were way overrated.

tbini87
08-19-2007, 10:08 PM
how often do you play? playing with people that are rated would be best. and gauge your ability compared to them. also remember that a lot of people say they are rated higher than they really are. start lower than you think you are, and if it is too easy you can move up. prob don't want to get into a tournament where you are in way over your head.

shindemac
08-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Sign up for usta find a partner (tm) program. I did, and now I can play different people in my area. It's free, and I've already been contacted twice! Much better than playing the same person all the time.

mark rodgers
08-20-2007, 09:50 AM
When I was new to the area, I went to a local public tennis center (one that has an attendant on duty) and asked about drill sessions and leagues. If I were you, I would try a 4.0 drill session because they are widely available and easy to get into. Leagues on the other hand may already be in session and closed to sign ups. At first you may just want to observe a scheduled league match or drill session just to gauge your ability to 4.0's in the area. If you decide to try a drill session, ask the pro running the session to give you a "best guess" of your rating. Afterwards you can go up, down, or stay around based on your skills. Drills are a good way for you to get back into hitting and to meet new people. I imagine it will cost you about $15 for a one and a half hour session.

Since you're in the Dallas area, contact T-Bar-M (in Dallas near Preston Rd and LBJ Freeway) or Brookhaven Country Club (in Farmers Branch) which are great private tennis clubs in the Dallas area. You don't have to be a member to participate in drills sessions or even to take private lessons.

Welcome back to the game!

alex81
08-20-2007, 01:26 PM
how often do you play? playing with people that are rated would be best. and gauge your ability compared to them. also remember that a lot of people say they are rated higher than they really are. start lower than you think you are, and if it is too easy you can move up. prob don't want to get into a tournament where you are in way over your head.

Well right this second I started hitting last week so right now only once a week but after a while I hope to get up to at least three times a week. The only person I have hit with so far is a friend of mine but he's a pretty good player he use to pay 5.0.

alex81
08-20-2007, 01:30 PM
When I was new to the area, I went to a local public tennis center (one that has an attendant on duty) and asked about drill sessions and leagues. If I were you, I would try a 4.0 drill session because they are widely available and easy to get into. Leagues on the other hand may already be in session and closed to sign ups. At first you may just want to observe a scheduled league match or drill session just to gauge your ability to 4.0's in the area. If you decide to try a drill session, ask the pro running the session to give you a "best guess" of your rating. Afterwards you can go up, down, or stay around based on your skills. Drills are a good way for you to get back into hitting and to meet new people. I imagine it will cost you about $15 for a one and a half hour session.

Since you're in the Dallas area, contact T-Bar-M (in Dallas near Preston Rd and LBJ Freeway) or Brookhaven Country Club (in Farmers Branch) which are great private tennis clubs in the Dallas area. You don't have to be a member to participate in drills sessions or even to take private lessons.

Welcome back to the game!

T Bar sounds close to where I live I think I will give this a try. thanks for the info:)

mark rodgers
08-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Hey Alex81, another place to try is Greenhill Academy. It's a private school but the tennis courts are open to the public when the team isn't practicing. They charge just a couple bucks for court time and they're lit. They have good drill sessions and host USTA league matches. They are located just north of Spring Valley and Midway Rd. Make a left on Hornet Drive and go all the way to the back.

alex81
08-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Hey Alex81, another place to try is Greenhill Academy. It's a private school but the tennis courts are open to the public when the team isn't practicing. They charge just a couple bucks for court time and they're lit. They have good drill sessions and host USTA league matches. They are located just north of Spring Valley and Midway Rd. Make a left on Hornet Drive and go all the way to the back.

thanks I will give that a look at:)