PDA

View Full Version : Why is this?

BoldAxis
08-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Whenver I play with my dad, I always play horribly. The balls always go into the net and whenever the balls do go over the net, they always lob over. The weird thing is, whenever I play with my friends, I always play good and the balls don't hit into the net as much. Does anyone why I play so differently with my dad? Cause I have no clue.

Swissv2
08-19-2007, 03:59 PM
pace and ball spin usually accounts for the major reasons.

Sephiroth_FFVII
08-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Its either that your dad hits with a pace / spin / trajectory that you are not used to, or that you unknowingly do not want to put a whipping on your dad ;)

alex81
08-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Maybe subconsiously you don't want to beat your dad and that's why you lose.

hahaha I don't know maybe he is better than you.(mind tricks)

koopa_troopa
08-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Maybe your dad is a pro tennis player and is so good that he forces errors?

Azrael
08-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Or maybe you try too hard to impress him? I know that sometimes when I try too hard for a reason other than enjoying the game, my UEs spike.

FatCat
08-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Or you could just be under a bit more pressure, and slightly spooked. My friend does the same when playing anywhere around his dad.

jck01
08-20-2007, 06:07 PM
I think you might be intimidated by your dad. Although you may be better than your dad, you feel uncomfortable thinking about beating your dad so you'll find ways to lose.

Rickson
08-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Whenver I play with my dad, I always play horribly. The balls always go into the net and whenever the balls do go over the net, they always lob over. The weird thing is, whenever I play with my friends, I always play good and the balls don't hit into the net as much. Does anyone why I play so differently with my dad? Cause I have no clue.
Because I am your father, Luke.

Ambivalent
08-20-2007, 06:33 PM
I have this problem too. However i know why : my dad is a typical 40 y/old junkballer, capable of hitting literally ANY shot. I can never seem to play consistently against him

JavierLW
08-20-2007, 06:42 PM

There are all sorts of reasons.

Either he may be outplaying you somehow that you cant tell.

Or it's likely mental. Are you just playing for fun, or is he trying to "instruct" you in some way?

(Ive seen lots of bad experiences where people "try" to teach someone how to play where it causes another person to play poorly, mostly because they are forced to think a lot out there rather than react out of intuition. It happens a lot with younger players because they dont know the diffrence yet)

mjcn121789
08-20-2007, 06:45 PM
It's a mental problem....just relax and have fun when u play against ur dad...u probably tense up when u play ur dad which causes the errors