PDA

View Full Version : Henman to retire in September

Fee
08-19-2007, 05:39 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article2289049.ece

Henman will play the Davis Cup tie against Croatia on Court One at the All England Club, and then call it a day. Another serve and volley player gone. :-(

kingkong
08-19-2007, 05:41 PM
why not finish at wimbledon?

psamp14
08-19-2007, 05:53 PM
such a sad thing to see henman go...he was a really good player but unfortunately couldnt win wimbledon with sampras, ivanisevic, and federer around...

tennispro11
08-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah, what he said. Henman is one of the best players to come out of Britain in a long time. They really don't like him over there as far as the press is concerned, but I enjoy watching him play and he is an awesome guy.

tennis_hand
08-19-2007, 06:12 PM
ahhhhhhhh mennnnnnnn

Feņa14
08-19-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm gutted :cry:

I knew it was only a matter of time with his results and injuries but it still doesn't make it feel any better.

As a young tennis fan growing up in England over the past 15 years, Henman has always been there. To think that come next Wimbledon, he won't be there, it's going to be strange.

I guess we have to look on the bright side though! He will probably be sitting in the Sky Sports studio by the Madrid Masters at the very latest! He's a funny guy, will be good to watch.

daddy
08-19-2007, 06:14 PM
It was time, I think he should be better of if hje had left coule fo years ago, he never had a chance lately. But a good guy nevertheless.

Rafa freak
08-19-2007, 06:15 PM
How old is he now?

Craig Sheppard
08-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Well I'm glad I got to see him live at Cincinnat this year... I've always been a Tim fan, but I think he's making the right decision. There's no point in just hanging around the top 100. He seems to have a nice family and might as well move on w/ the next stage of his life. Maybe he can start working for the LTA and start teaching people how to volley again!!! ;-)

daddy
08-19-2007, 06:17 PM
How old is he now?

33 years onld, too much is too much,.

Feņa14
08-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Well I'm glad I got to see him live at Cincinnat this year... I've always been a Tim fan, but I think he's making the right decision. There's no point in just hanging around the top 100. He seems to have a nice family and might as well move on w/ the next stage of his life. Maybe he can start working for the LTA and start teaching people how to volley again!!! ;-)

I know how you feel. I was lucky enough to see his match live with Moya at Wimbledon this year, to of been there to see one of the Henman classics suddenly has real meaning to it.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
08-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Thank God!!!!

It was really sad to see him struggle over the past few years. I wish him the best of luck :smile:

Boja
08-19-2007, 07:22 PM
It'll be sad to see him go but he just can't compete as well any more. It's too bad to see another serve and volleyer gone as others have mentioned.

Best of luck in the future, Tim!

jmsx521
08-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Maybe he can join the Seniors Tour and beat up on those guys.

Tennis_Monk
08-19-2007, 07:54 PM
This is pure speculation. Not confirmed by Former British number 1 Timothy Henman....Even if not in Sept, in a few months. Fact is his game has come down drastically.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/6953128.stm

kingkong
08-19-2007, 08:11 PM
when is the deadline for entering tournaments?

Maybe he will decide based on how he plays in The USO.

JW10S
08-19-2007, 08:21 PM
I read another article that said Henman was contemplating retirement but had not made any final decision. So we'll have to see...

soggyramen
08-19-2007, 08:25 PM
sad to see him go...how many S&V's we got left now?

tennispro11
08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Not many I'm afraid.

_mats_
08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
I think we're just left with Roddick

;)

sad to see him go...how many S&V's we got left now?

J-man
08-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Well in any case by the end of this year he will probably call it quits. It's sad to see him go.

A very noable player. But he has much to look foward to in life. With a new child on the way. But it is his time. It's been a good career filled with many up and downs. But his legacy will always be remebered. His fans cheered for him and cried with him with every stroke of the ball. Every point was painful to watch for his fans. I hope he can have one more go at it at the US Open. He won't be a favorite but at least he can say his offical good bye at a Grand Slam.

Zets147
08-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Noes!! Tiger Tim Henman!!!!!

hoosierbr
08-19-2007, 09:29 PM
All Henman himself has said is that he'll see where he is after the USO and DC. He has said all summer that he intends to play one more Wimbledon. Possibly he might play sparingly and need a WC for Wimby next year but so what?

I choose not to believe until the man himself says so. Until then it's more wishful thinking by some than fact.

93sqi
08-19-2007, 09:35 PM
If he retires, I guess it means Paul Anacone is available. Would he be a consideration to become Fed's coach?

hoosierbr
08-19-2007, 09:52 PM
If he retires, I guess it means Paul Anacone is available. Would he be a consideration to become Fed's coach?

Annacone is the head of men's tennis for the LTA. He's only coaching Henman part-time anyway. I doubt he's going anywhere.

DarkSephiroth
08-19-2007, 09:58 PM
What is going to happen to Henman Hill?!

Tim Henman, although he wasn't the greatest tennis player, was a true gentleman. Sad to see him go.

Dilettante
08-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Sad news. A stylish player, always good to watch.

Anyway, having said that his style is beautiful: his kind of game had become kind of obsolete, tough.

jukka1970
08-20-2007, 03:37 AM

Henman will play the Davis Cup tie against Croatia on Court One at the All England Club, and then call it a day. Another serve and volley player gone. :-(

It's definitely sad to see him go. I've pretty much watched him his entire career, well at least the televised events. I figured it wasn't to far off, I mean he's been around a long time, but he will definitely be missed.

But like all good things in life, they must end at some point. I just kind of wished he made his last tournament Wimbledon, whether this year or next year. I realize that he'll be ending his career with a match at Wimbledon for the davis cup, so maybe in some ways it is better. Have never been a fan of Davis cup, but I suppose this is the best of both worlds. It'll be at Wimbledon, and he'll be playing for his country.

Jukka

PimpMyGame
08-20-2007, 03:45 AM
If it's true it will be a sad thing for the sport, even if expected. As tennispro11 already said, the media give him a hard time but the media is fickle. I sincerely hope he is given a good send-off by the British public. Such a pity he couldn't get just one Wimby under his belt.

ThomasH
08-20-2007, 03:45 AM
What is going to happen to Henman Hill?!

Tim Henman, although he wasn't the greatest tennis player, was a true gentleman. Sad to see him go.

Henman Hill is changing into Mount Murray probably

West Coast Ace
08-20-2007, 04:48 AM
I don't begrudge him for this last year, he deserved the chance to make sure there was no chance of a comeback - but enough now - time to free up the spot for the younger players.

His career shows how little separates the legends from the very good - if Slams were 2 out of 3 sets or only 5 rounds, he might have won a few Wimby's and USO's.

Will be interesting to see what he does after tennis.

origmarm
08-20-2007, 05:01 AM
Henman Hill is changing into Mount Murray probably

No doubt it will be christened that by a redtop yep :)

Sad to see him go, would have loved to have seen him take a Wimbledon. A touch volleying great. I always wondered if he had Frosties for breakfast

wyutani
08-20-2007, 05:12 AM

hes not serve and volley!... hes baseliner...

JLyon
08-20-2007, 06:01 AM
I am sad to see him go but also happy as he has been in pain for last few years due to his back. will miss you Henmania!!!
I'll no longer have a twin on tour.

austro
08-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Good riddance, I say!

s_andrean
08-20-2007, 07:26 AM
Good riddance, I say!

Why on earth would you say that?

Anyway, I've always loved to watch him play over the years. He has been a great ambassador for British tennis. I've hated to see him do so badly this year.

Good luck Tim, make us proud in the Davis Cup.

HyperHorse
08-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Another wonderful player lost to the ravages of time and injuries...
Id love to see him make another run @ Wimbledon..
But if he chooses not to, then i guess it's not to be...
The death of S&V makes me think back 10-15yrs ago when everyone was saying the power game was ruining tennis, blamed on the "high powered racquets".
Now we see the virtual death of S&V, all because of the wide spread homogenisation of the game....
The ATP really has to change what they're doing or the credibility of the gae is at stake, especially with the older fans who knew how tennis was really played...
*prays for reincarnation of Pat Rafter*

simi
08-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Thank you, Tim. You have left us with beautiful memories of your artistry at the net. Tennis...as it used to be played. Best wishes in your new endeavor and to Lucy and the kids.

phoony
08-20-2007, 09:21 AM
He really good in volley and front net. Age coming really.........goodbye Tim. So long.

hoosierbr
08-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Tim will hold a press conference in NYC on Thursday to announce/confirm his future plans for 2007 and beyond.

It looks like he'll retire but I wouldn't be shcoked and sort of hope that he'll take off the rest of the year to recover and enjoy the birth of his third child and play selectively until Wimbledon next year and retire then. Much more appropriate than a DC tie.

http://www.timhenman.org/NEWS/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=464793&itype=5883

J-man
08-20-2007, 12:22 PM
I hope he does retire at Wimbledon it will be a much nicer farewell than at let's say the US open (which I said before).

Warriorroger
08-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Too bad, he is the last relic from the Sampras era. I will miss his beautiful classic game.

Dimonator133
08-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Best wishes in your new endeavor and to Lucy and the kids.

does Henman frequent this board?

diegaa
08-20-2007, 01:21 PM
a good classic player, but it was about time. nobody should loose in so many 1st rounds.

jmsx521
08-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Or, how about he gives it a shot at Wimbledon for Seniors in 2008!?

diegaa
08-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Or, how about he gives it a shot at Wimbledon for Seniors in 2008!?

can he play? i think he is not eligible for that tourney...

Elina
08-21-2007, 01:56 AM
It's sad if Henman has to retire now because of injuries. It would have been nice if he could play well for some time (i.e. at least few months) and then leave. :D

Tennis_Maestro
08-21-2007, 03:37 AM
Gutted.......

sunflowerhx
08-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Yes after Rafter and Sampras retired, he was really the last of the jedi knights.

But as McEnroe said, Henman has maximised his talent and you cannot ask anymore than that.

Many people say his best chance was Wimbledon 2001, where he lost to Goran. But I think Rafter was the best player in the Tournment and would have beaten Henman.

Wimbledon 2002, he really should have beaten Hewitt in the semi and then Nalbandian would have been a walk over.

blakealltheway
08-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Unfortunate for the country of England and the tennis community.....Good news for Andy Murray, all eyes on him!!!!!!!!

fps
08-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Thank god we have Murray (if he gets back from injury) to carry the torch as a Brit in the upper echelons of the rankings, Tim's maximised his talent and coped brilliantly with the huge expectations and withering criticisms thrown at him, the guy is responsible for some of the most dramatic matches I've ever seen, and i hope he becomes a pundit and people get to see the all-round fun side of the guy.

Rhino
08-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Unfortunate for the country of England and the tennis community.....Good news for Andy Murray, all eyes on him!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure it's good news for Murray, they are tour friends and Henmans not really a threat to him when they play.

I think he should at least join the 500 Club and get to 500 match wins, he's at 494 currently.
Only Fed and Moya (of the active players) have 500 or more wins.

Lets see what happens on Thursday, he may wait until Wimbledon '08 which would be more fitting. I guess he knows his dream of winning a slam is over though.

Fee
08-23-2007, 10:29 AM
So, now it's official...

simi
08-23-2007, 11:46 AM
So, now it's official...

From TimHenman.org

http://www.timhenman.org/NEWS/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=465648&itype=5883

I'm just glad I got to see him play in person earlier this year at Indian Wells. I, for one, will miss him on the tour.

laurie
08-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I was lucky to see Henman quite a few times at Queens more than once, French Open annd Paris Bercy in 2003 when he thrashed Kuerten. the year he won it - 2003

As many have said, Henman is not as respected here in Britain as much as he should be. Was he unlucky? Or could he have done better? that will always be the question.

I think everyone is prepared to cut slack when it comes to the two Sampras defeats because any win there would have been an incredible bonus. I think it's from 2001 onwards when Sampras was no longer the same player that people feel Henman should have taken his opportunity. Let's not forget Hewitt played a blinder against Henman in the 2002 semifinal at Wimbledon but Henman's serve had declined considerably under Larry Stefanki in the space of 9 months!

Does anyone remember where Henman reached in 2003 Wimbledon? I can't remember.

Fee
08-23-2007, 01:14 PM
You don't have to remember, you can always check his playing activity in his player profile at www.atptennis.com (http://www.atptennis.com).

Young Pete
08-23-2007, 01:16 PM
this is a sad day for tennnis. one of the last PURE serve and volleyers.

"they don't make 'em like they use to"

laurie
08-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks Fee.

I just checked - He lost to Sebastien Grosjean in the quarterfinal!

Mr Henman sure let some opportunities go by .

One technical issue I will say about Henman, young Pete talks about Henman been the last of his kind. One area which Henman fell down was the passing shots. On grass it's not just about serving and volleying well, it's also about returning well and hitting passing shots at crucial moments. That's what Sampras was good at, he could hit passing shots off both wings, and Henman just wasn't as good when it came to getting getting the return low and dictating with the passing shots to get the breaks of serve required, that wasn't his strength. Plus for an attacker he didn't serve many aces either so he didn't have hardly any easy hold games on his serve. So his matches were always a struggle as a result.

Had Henman played in the mid 1980s to early 1990s he would have had to face Becker, Edberg, Lendl, Stich. Those guys were strong physically so I don't think Henman would have got past them. But he beat Krajicek in 1997 when he was defending champion and Rafter in 1998 in the quarterfinal.

That's why I think it's hard to judge Henman in terms of how good he really was. He was just so damned inconsistent.

vive le beau jeu !
08-23-2007, 03:09 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/news/news8.asp
so it's official now... :?

i'll miss his elegant S&V game.
let's hope they make him play on the big courts for his last USO ! ;)

hoosierbr
08-23-2007, 04:10 PM
All I can say is shame on the UK. They'll surely miss Henners come next year.

tennispro11
08-23-2007, 04:19 PM
From TimHenman.org

http://www.timhenman.org/NEWS/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=465648&itype=5883

I'm just glad I got to see him play in person earlier this year at Indian Wells. I, for one, will miss him on the tour.

How sad, I will miss seeing his style of play. Very classic and elegant. :(

Andy Hewitt
08-23-2007, 04:48 PM
NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo. :sad:

J-man
08-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the link Simi. Well sadly it is confirmed.

West Coast Ace
08-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Wimbledon 2002, he really should have beaten Hewitt in the semi and then Nalbandian would have been a walk over.Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

As many have said, Henman is not as respected here in Britain as much as he should be.I disagree. He got treated more or less as he deserved. He'd win big matches, then lose in disappointing fashion. People are only going to 'live and die' with you for so long. Tim didn't have what it took to be a Slam champion. He had chances but couldn't win the 7 matches it takes to win a Slam. He made a lot of money (in endorsements) off his looks. And won a decent number of tournaments. So he had plent of luck.

Maybe it was Fate that the rains came when they did. Or Pete and Fed arrived when they did.

tbini87
08-23-2007, 07:03 PM
got to know when your time is up, and i think he has realized it.

sunflowerhx
08-24-2007, 07:29 AM
Wonder what they going to do with the Slazenger brand?
Just continue making balls, I guess.