PDA

View Full Version : Increase Consistency

J. Lee, Tennis Baller
08-19-2007, 06:17 PM
My basic play is attacker w/ speed. However, I have trouble w/ consistency and staying in the long rallies. I've been trying to keep my points short, but I still want to be able to play consistently. Any advice?

bizzle
08-19-2007, 07:19 PM
you could work on volleying alot and becoming a serve and volleyer.

TennisFrkJC92
08-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Try taking a little bit of pace off the ball. One of the reasons you're making errors is probably because you're hitting as hard as you can trying to hit winners on every shot.

White_Rice
08-19-2007, 07:45 PM
it's all about footwork and preparation on your shots. seriously if you have the skills to hit the ball solidly on both wings, then it is all about footwork. most people who are inconsistent get lazy with their footwork.

DraGoNoFfiR3
08-19-2007, 07:48 PM
yep^^^^^^^^^6

lakis92
08-20-2007, 05:50 AM
Practise practise practise!!!!!!!!!

Lendl's Forehand
08-20-2007, 11:20 AM
That's the difference - ever notice sometimes the 4.0 guys sometimes seem to hit harder than the 5.0 guys? It's the 4th, 5th, 6th ball of the rally...forget it. 4.0 guys are having nothing to do with the 4th+ ball.

5.0+, they'll stick it out no matter how many shots it takes to win the point. And they're usually in better shape to do so.

For consistency, do the pro drills (as boring as they are)...croscourt FH to FH, crosscourt BH to BH, down the line, etc. etc. That's the best way.

mark rodgers
08-20-2007, 01:23 PM
If you have good technique, I would say that you are suffering from impatience. I know plenty of people that can't stick it out after we each hit 4 times over the net. At that point they start trying to force the issue. That's when I hit paydirt!

soggyramen
08-20-2007, 04:58 PM
don't go for too much. i just use a lot of topspin and keep hitting where the player feels uncomfortable then i usually get easy shots.

Tarqs
08-20-2007, 06:25 PM
just practice with a hitting partner. Try to hit the ball with less power and more topspin.

Undrayon
08-20-2007, 07:09 PM
I agree, footwork makes a very big difference. Also, make sure you are comfortable with the style of forehand that you choose. I used loop strokes and played decent but never could seem to get a great serve return.

Now I take the racquet straight back (heck, I took my backhand preparation straight from TonLars) and I'm getting a solid pop I never had all the time before. The ball has spin but you can just see the drive on it. Another major thing that helped me (once again, saw this in TonLars video) was how he locks his wrist completely back especially on the backhand. It really forces you to hit through the ball. Especially on my forehand I felt like I was hitting the ball differently each time and couldn't get a comfortable follow through, but keeping your wrist back FORCES you to turn into the ball and gives a whole different feeling.

Definately check out your footwork, I agree that's the #1 thing. If you feel you have great footwork (as I do since I worked my *** off from big basketball movement to tennis) then maybe just work on your strokes untill you feel comfortable with them.

If you already do, then eat some Tennis O's

wihamilton
08-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Try taking a little bit of pace off the ball. One of the reasons you're making errors is probably because you're hitting as hard as you can trying to hit winners on every shot.

I agree, but make sure you don't equate taking pace off the ball w/not swinging as hard. Swing just as hard as you normally would, but substitute spin for power. That should give you more control.

If you watch the pros, when they want to be consistent, they swing just as hard, if not harder, as they normally do, but they're trying to put more spin on the ball, not power.

Thomas Bird-Itch
08-21-2007, 08:45 AM
My basic play is attacker w/ speed. However, I have trouble w/ consistency and staying in the long rallies. I've been trying to keep my points short, but I still want to be able to play consistently. Any advice?

As several others said, footwork/stamina is #1. Then, worry about WHERE you're hitting the ball. Last worry about how hard you hit it.

What you are asking for is a way to attack and not make errors. Good luck with that. Usually the earlier you try to end the point, the greater the risk you'll make an error.

fuzz nation
08-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Great advice here!

The better you get, the tougher your opponents will be and those better players frustrate "attackers" like us who want a short ball to pick on. The one component of my singles game that has needed the most improvement is my patience because as an attacker, I'm prone to try and make something out of nothing with a low percentage shot.

Watching a men's league playoff last week just reinforced this for me. These guys were quality 4.5 to 5.0 players and while the doubles teams played with constant aggression, the singles players were grinding their butts off by running hard and hitting with heavy spin to keep their opponents deep. The strokes looked very "safe", but these guys would just grind away until the other guy made a mistake or got out of position.

A huge component of developing this patience and consistency is indeed footwork. Improving your movement will get you to more balls earlier so you can take more routine swings and keep grinding away. Get good at this part and knowing when to switch into attack mode will be a cinch.

LuckyR
08-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Is it clear to you where to place your shots? I mean, do you have an obvious strategy or game plan or are you trying to squeeze the ball near the lines for "winners" that often land out and hence lowered consistency.

kevhen
08-21-2007, 09:35 AM
You don't have to hit hard to win tennis matches. Placement is much more useful than power. Don't try to have short points. Learn the art of the rally.

Thanatos
09-27-2007, 08:49 PM
I agree, but make sure you don't equate taking pace off the ball w/not swinging as hard. Swing just as hard as you normally would, but substitute spin for power. That should give you more control.

If you watch the pros, when they want to be consistent, they swing just as hard, if not harder, as they normally do, but they're trying to put more spin on the ball, not power.

Hey Will,
Excellent website! If you add more content, I would definitely consider subscribing for a small fee. My only input is that there was a lot of network latency trying to pull up the web contents around 11pm - 1am EST. All other internet sites had no problems during these hours.

Question in regards to your statement above. I have an eastern FH grip. When I slow down my racquet head speed (RHS), I can hit the ball cleanly and with decent placement. However, when I start to accelerate my RHS, I end up framing the ball.

You stated the fix was to add more spin, but continue to maintain your RHS. How can I add more spin using an eastern FH? Should I change my take back trajectory? I'm kinda hesitant to mess with something that is somewhat working for me right now. Thanks in advance.

scotus
09-27-2007, 08:54 PM
For consistency, practice hitting against the wall.