PDA

View Full Version : How many days did it take for you to get to level 4

svallam
08-19-2007, 06:31 PM
How many days (in months) did it take for you to get to a level of 4 from the day you started playing it?

1 month means around 30 days of play and 2-4 hrs of play each day. May not be continuous 30 days.

I took 4 months. I played 1 month each in the last 2 summers and 2 months in this summer. No one taught me, I learned seeing videos and matches ( only this summer).

BreakPoint
08-19-2007, 06:33 PM
I highly, highly doubt you are a true 4.0 player. I know many, many people that have been playing tennis for over 30 years, 12 months a year, but have never made it to the 4.0 level.

soggyramen
08-19-2007, 06:34 PM
yeah sorry but i doubt if that's all you did that you are a 4.0 but then again we don't know

soggyramen
08-19-2007, 06:35 PM
i'd say at most you're a 2.5-3.0

BreakPoint
08-19-2007, 06:36 PM
BTW, what is your win-loss record at the 4.0 level in USTA Leagues and how many 4.0 USTA tournaments have you won?

BreakPoint
08-19-2007, 06:37 PM
i'd say at most you're a 2.5-3.0
I'd say more like 1.5-2.0 would be my guess.

aznspongehead
08-19-2007, 06:38 PM
lol at lv 4.
Over nine thousand!!!

Viper
08-19-2007, 06:41 PM
lol at lv 4.
Over nine thousand!!!

DESU! (ten c.)

soggyramen
08-19-2007, 06:46 PM
if that was the case we'd all be roger federer in a few years

jck01
08-19-2007, 06:54 PM
I highly, highly doubt you are a true 4.0 player. I know many, many people that have been playing tennis for over 30 years, 12 months a year, but have never made it to the 4.0 level.

I agree. I can barely call myself a 4.0 level and I've been playing tennis for over 10 years. Of course, I could just be a bad learner.

svallam
08-19-2007, 06:55 PM
May be I am not, even that is not my own rating. Never played in USTA leagues.

Recently, I played with a 40 year old guy who used to play with our college player and told me that I am close to 4 level. Dont know the truth.
I will upload my tennis video some time, then you guys tell me where I am.

If you think I am wrong, the poll-1 4month play.

Meanwhile, Tell me what is his level in your opinion http://youtube.com/watch?v=4ZZSIr5qpkM

raiden031
08-19-2007, 06:57 PM
So if the OP is being accurate he has played tennis between 240 and 480 hours in his life and is a 4.0 player.

I log all my tennis hours starting the past year and have estimated I played about 500 hours total in the past 8 years. 325 of those hours were in the past year alone. I probably wasted a total of about 200 hours (out of 500) because I didn't know anything about proper technique and ended up completely re-learning my strokes from scratch last fall. So I would say as of my performance throughout this July and August, I am probably a lower-to-mid 3.5 player.

If the OP knows what he's doing when he practices, I would say its possible he could be a 4.0, but chances are if he doesn't have a coach with him, then he's probably doing alot of things wrong. Once I became concious of technique and getting knowledge from books, it still took me months to really understand my own game and what was good and bad about it and I still made lots of mistakes in the way I practiced and played matches. I didn't even know how to hit a kick serve until this Februrary, and now its one of the best weapons in my game.

Mr. Hokey
08-19-2007, 07:02 PM
You are fairly consistent when hitting medium-paced shots, but are not comfortable with all strokes and lack execution when trying for directional control, depth, or power. Your most common doubles formation is one-up, one-back.
You have achieved improved stroke dependability with directional control on moderate shots, but need to develop depth and variety. You exhibit more aggressive net play, have improved court coverage and are developing teamwork in doubles.

that's your range in my honest opinion.

pmata814
08-19-2007, 07:08 PM
If you became a 4.0 player in 4 months then you're a prodigy and you just never knew it! Keep at it and we will surely see you winning The U.S Open next year! ;)

LafayetteHitter
08-19-2007, 07:13 PM
This is pretty much a big joke. Without seeing how someone reacts when under the pressure of a match and how the strokes hold up in match play it's all useless in my opinion. I know this guy that blasts groundstrokes everyday of the week with a ball machine. That's all he ever does. He thinks he is a 4.0 based on hitting his forehand hard off the ball machine everday. Playing some old guy that used to do this and that back in the day that thinks your a 4.0 means nothing. Not trying to be mean here but it's just not realistic. Breakpoint's first post was correct. I play a group of 4.0-4.5 level guys every Monday night. Until you can go out with guys like this or in league and produce some wins with consistent results your not a 4.0 by any stretch of the imagination.

EricW
08-19-2007, 07:13 PM
No chance in hell you're a 4.0 after only 4 months..

krz
08-19-2007, 07:20 PM
4.0 is 4 months is insane...

but looking at your video thats amazing hitting for 4 months of tennis

Purostaff
08-19-2007, 07:29 PM
I know I've seen this vid before.

So, svallam, please explain this:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=90172&highlight=4ZZSIr5qpkM

svallam
08-19-2007, 07:33 PM

I already mentioned " tell me your opinion in HIS play". I never said that it is my video. I already told you that I dont know the truth.

Sorry

EricW
08-19-2007, 07:34 PM

If you read his post:

"Meanwhile, Tell me what is his level in your opinion http://youtube.com/watch?v=4ZZSIr5qpkM"

He's not trying to pretend it's him

str33t
08-19-2007, 07:35 PM
neverminddddd.
the people that posted before me beat me to it: that's not the OP in the video.
the OP is probably just trying to compare himself with the person in the vid.

OrangeOne
08-19-2007, 07:45 PM
I have two problems with this thread:

1. Someone told you that you were close to 4, and suddenly you call yourself 4? That's interesting
2. The fact that your 4months is over 2 years! Weirdest maths I've seen, to 'net' time like that. I suppose that means I have a great new 2HBH after 'only 2 hours' work on it, even though that 2 hours has actually been 3 sessions over 8 days :). On that note, I suppose the average Learner Driver who has to log 100 hours of driving can say that they've been driving for only 'a little over 4 days!'

LafayetteHitter
08-19-2007, 07:45 PM
I figured that was the point of the video. I notice people often look at other guys playing and think "yea I play like that". Well allow me to retort that! Instead of thinking that about someone you see, challenge them to a match and see how you compare. I mean I see video's of Haas hitting his backhand and think mine must look the same as his as well! LOL

Photoshop
08-19-2007, 07:47 PM
1 hour for me to get to "level 4." (lol @ level 4... yeah I racked up enough xp in this game call "tennis" and I upgraded my character to level 4) I've been playing tennis since yesterday... guess what, I just beat a Div 1 player. double bageled him in fact. I'm winning that US Open in 2 weeks. watch out

IanRichardson
08-19-2007, 07:51 PM
it is very possible that you are a 4.0 the way it reads, but after 4 months there is no way you are 4.0 in a match situation. If you feel you are truly a 4.0 then enter a usta tournament with true 4.0 players and see how you do. I have been have been playing almost everyday for the past 2 years, lessons and all that crap, and i still play in 3.0 ntrp tournaments. Hell, the way it reads i along with most of the people on this board are close to 5.0 but sadly that isnt the case. Dont worry so much about what your rating is. The best thing for you to do is play tennis and not worry yourself with what your ntrp is. Focus more on improving your game and if you work at it enough then you will eventually be a true 4.0 player.

bizzle
08-19-2007, 07:52 PM
1 hour for me to get to "level 4." (lol @ level 4... yeah I racked up enough xp in this game call "tennis" and I upgraded my character to level 4) I've been playing tennis since yesterday... guess what, I just beat a Div 1 player. double bageled him in fact. I'm winning that US Open in 2 weeks. watch out

you suck, i had 90 mph kicker after 30 mins

svallam
08-19-2007, 07:55 PM
it is very possible that you are a 4.0 the way it reads, but after 4 months there is no way you are 4.0 in a match situation. If you feel you are truly a 4.0 then enter a usta tournament with true 4.0 players and see how you do. I have been have been playing almost everyday for the past 2 years, lessons and all that crap, and i still play in 3.0 ntrp tournaments. Hell, the way it reads i along with most of the people on this board are close to 5.0 but sadly that isnt the case. Dont worry so much about what your rating is. The best thing for you to do is play tennis and not worry yourself with what your ntrp is. Focus more on improving your game and if you work at it enough then you will eventually be a true 4.0 player.

Thanks a lot. Really appreciated.

Zets147
08-19-2007, 07:57 PM
It took me forever to get to lvl 4. I had 6 power 6 impact 2 skill 4 stamina

andymac1
08-19-2007, 08:18 PM
LOL! Rofl. It took me 4 long years to get to 4.5, and I thought I was fast, lol. There's no way you're a 4 in 4 months dude

El Guapo
08-19-2007, 08:21 PM
up up down down left right left right b a start

Steady Eddy
08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
When I started tennis, I started at the beginning of the summer and I thought I would be close to mastering the game by the end of the summer. I was very naive. Suppose that out of 90 summer days I played on 70, for two hours each. That would only be 140 hours on the court!

It takes alot longer than 140 hours to master tennis. But at the end of that summer I sincerely thought I was good. Alot of that is because nearly all of the other people I saw on the public courts in the upper midw were so bad. I knew there were beginners and pros. I didn't know that there were so many levels in between.

koopa_troopa
08-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Its possible to get to level 4 that quick using hacks or a game genie.

Purostaff
08-19-2007, 08:41 PM
I apologized.. I had too much steaks today. Anyways, if you think you're level 4 or 5 or 20, then good for you and keep up the good work. Post vid of a match of you playing who you "think" is around your level and we can stop the argument.

Hot Sauce
08-19-2007, 08:52 PM
The OP is taking a lot of abuse.. If you posted a video it would help.

svallam
08-19-2007, 08:57 PM
I ill definitely post a video as soon as possible.

TheShaun
08-19-2007, 09:01 PM
up up down down left right left right b a start

greatest video game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't know why you posted that in this thread but i'm glad you did.:-D

SFrazeur
08-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Svallam, from the information you are giving us, it is not it is not possible to become a 4.0 in four months. I instruct out of Burns Park, by the way.

-SF

goober
08-19-2007, 09:54 PM
greatest video game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't know why you posted that in this thread but i'm glad you did.:-D

Read the title of the thread- it sounds like a video game not a NTRP discussion.

tbini87
08-19-2007, 10:20 PM
there is noo way that you could be anywhere near a 4.0 yet. especially since you said those 4 months were not all in a row. very easy to hear compliments about strokes and all, but until you are trying to hit them at high speed, moving side to side, with pressure then there is no way to tell how good you are.

OrangeOne
08-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Svallam, from the information you are giving us, it is not it is not possible to become a 4.0 in four months. I instruct out of Burns Park, by the way.

-SF

<tongue firmly in cheek>
Is that a mod using the boards for commercial gain?
<removes tongue from cheek>

;)

aznspongehead
08-19-2007, 10:41 PM
So is the guy in the video level 4 yet?
Or does he need more exp?

arnz
08-19-2007, 11:25 PM
So is the guy in the video level 4 yet?
Or does he need more exp?

He needs to complete a few more quests and gain the magical racquet item, and he will level up in no time :)

SFrazeur
08-20-2007, 04:40 AM
<tongue firmly in cheek>
Is that a mod using the boards for commercial gain?
<removes tongue from cheek>

;)

I thought that if he knew I was a local as well it might put more weight to my words. Just to note it would probably take at lest four hours to reach my location from his.

-SF

svallam
08-20-2007, 04:59 AM
I am wrong. Mistaken. No more comments on my level please.

shindemac
08-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Most people take a year to advance a level. It usually takes 7 - 10 years to become a pro. But u gotta play more the better u r. If u 2.0, u can play once a week and improve. If u 4.0, u have to play 3-5x a week at least. I heard a minor pro who trains every day all day. I mean that's his job essentially.

smoothtennis
08-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Look, maybe it is within the 'realm of possibility' that someone could get to 4.0 in four months, but not likely. Not even close to likley.

I have seen guys with very nice looking strokes, that get beat 1-6, 2-6 to 3.5 guys. Why? They don't understand the game, the footwork, the court angles, dictating points, reading spins, etc. These things just take some time, they don't come very naturally or quickly to most.

You have to have all those skills to compete at 4.0, and at the top end of 3.5.

If all you can do is rip a hard forehand, it isn't going to beat a 4.0 without the footwork and a solid backhand to match. Oh, and they are going to keep you in the backcourt, so you have to work from there a lot.

I noticed the guy on the vid doesn't move his feet well at all. That is going to lose to 4.0 if he really plays like that, because he will be hitting off-balance 80% of the time during a competitive USTA tournament match.