PDA

View Full Version : Where will Sharapova end the year ranked?

anointedone
08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Sorry that I am remaking this poll and thread, the only reason I am is I accidentally set the last thread to close after only 1 day which I never meant.

Maria Sharapova is currently World #2, but only #4 in the WTA's race to Sony Ericsson Championships, the WTA version of ATP RACE.

In the year round ranking she is a substantial amount behind Justine Henin already after this week, and Justine's Pilot Pen points coming off, and while Justine has a U.S Open final and year end Championships title to defend, she played no tournaments in between those events due to injury. Maria Sharapova by contrast has a huge collection of points to defend, including her U.S Open title. Pretty safe to say there is practicaly no chance of Justine being caught by Maria.

Maria currently is behind Jankovic in the WTA Race by about 1000 points, however Jankovic has already exceeded the best 17 counting tournaments by 4, playing 21, and any result now that is not outside her 17 best points-wise will result in her losing some points, the bottom remaining counting tournament whatever that is. Ivanovic is ahead by about 400 points, but with 15 tournaments played she is nearing the point she will have some tournament points dropped, but in her case she may not go over 17 by much so it may be only the worst tournaments of her year and very minor points dropped off.

Behind Maria is Kuznetsova, Serena, and Chakvetadze by from 50 to 250 points. Chakvetadze is now at 15 tournaments, Kuznetsova at 13, so they could pass the 17 mark, particularly Chakvetadze, but likely like Ivanovic it would only be any very minor points dropped. Venus is about 600 points back in the Race, and probably wont play enough or consistent enough to catch up.

Sharapova though is a very good indoor player, or has been in the past. She seems to be shaky and vurnerable right now though. So where will Maria end the year ranked?

anointedone
08-19-2007, 08:37 PM
The poll is now set to close 3 weeks from now, so when the U.S Open is finished pretty much.

anointedone
08-19-2007, 08:38 PM
I mentioned this in the other thread too. Jelena Jankovic is now only 416 points behind Sharapova. If Jankovic does even one round better then Sharapova, assuming it is a 2nd week result I believe, she will pass Sharapova after the U.S Open. Then after the U.S Open, Sharapova has 2 more titles to defend, before the year end Championships where she lost in the semis last year.

anointedone
08-20-2007, 01:06 PM
This is the thread to keep discussion about Maria's year end ranking, not the other one with the accidently locked poll where people are still posting instead.

anointedone
08-20-2007, 06:25 PM
I am a bit surprised most of you think #2 right now.

lambielspins
08-21-2007, 03:27 AM
Probably #3.

federerfanatic
08-21-2007, 03:22 PM
I think the Race to the Chase counts all your tournament points, but at years end your best 17 count. So Jankovic at 21 would be losing quite a few of her current "Race to the Chase" points at years end.

anointedone
08-29-2007, 05:34 PM
I voted before I saw her U.S Open draw. Her U.S Open draw might allow for a higher finish, although I still think Nicole is taking her out in the 4th round.

anointedone
09-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Bumping this thread up.

daddy
09-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Bumping this thread up.

With a reason. you posted valid quetsion, people ignored it due to draw. i will expect some to react differently now. I dont really like predictions but as i said she being destroyed by top players like Ivnovic in semis of RG and one of Williams sisters to 1 nd 1 or so, in final on GS, I think she is ready for mental care. I really did think so and now I think so even more ..

anointedone
09-01-2007, 11:12 AM
With a reason. you posted valid quetsion, people ignored it due to draw. i will expect some to react differently now. I dont really like predictions but as i said she being destroyed by top players like Ivnovic in semis of RG and one of Williams sisters to 1 nd 1 or so, in final on GS, I think she is ready for mental care. I really did think so and now I think so even more ..

Yeah imagine what her ranking situation would be if she wasnt getting all these joke draws. The fact she is dropping down to around 4 or 5 after this event likely will make that harder now though. Hard to protect someone too much when you have to put them in the half of a top 2 player.

daddy
09-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah imagine what her ranking situation would be if she wasnt getting all these joke draws. The fact she is dropping down to around 4 or 5 after this event likely will make that harder now though. Hard to protect someone too much when you have to put them in the half of a top 2 player.

Shes good then she sucks then shes good, whats wrong ? I am not sure but if she in deed drops to nr 5 for example, she would have alot of problems, for sure. Alot more than she used to have. And I thought cLijsters being out, Williams sisters being not intersted, she would dominate. Dominate my ***, theres a lot of whooping on her bottom side not done properly and surely not feeling the way she would like to feel when whooped ..

;)

anointedone
09-08-2007, 07:49 PM
The new rankings will be out in a day or two. We will see where she drops too. She did well indoors last year so some more points to defend coming up.

The tennis guy
09-08-2007, 08:16 PM
The new rankings will be out in a day or two. We will see where she drops too. She did well indoors last year so some more points to defend coming up.

She will be No. 4 after JH, SK, JJ next week.

anointedone
09-08-2007, 08:27 PM
She will be No. 4 after JH, SK, JJ next week.

OK thanks. I guess the indoor season will be big for Maria. She did very well last year.

Rodditha
09-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Oh come on, say the truth, she will be out of the top 50.

phoony
09-10-2007, 02:09 AM
Oh come on, say the truth, she will be out of the top 50.

Rodditha, rodditha.........why you hate her so much :confused:. What had she done to you. Nothing is wrong with her.

Ian Paisley
09-10-2007, 02:25 AM
Maria is going to have a tough time because of injuries and movement. I stood next to her several times the summer she won Wimbledon. She was very thin and around 6'1" then. She has grown about 2" since and is much more muscular. If she does not hit first strike with serve or return, she is in trouble. Nice girl, but I don't think she will win another slam.

Topaz
09-10-2007, 03:38 AM
I said four, but I think it could be three or four, depending on what Jankovic, Ivanovic, and Kuznetsova as well as Sharapova do with the rest of their season.

masha4ever#1
09-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Rodditha, rodditha.........why you hate her so much :confused:. What had she done to you. Nothing is wrong with her.

dude, he/she is just a damn hater, I don't think he/she has a serious reason for hating her, but don't care...both of us now Masha is definitely the BEST!!!!;)

phoony
09-10-2007, 06:53 PM
dude, he/she is just a damn hater, I don't think he/she has a serious reason for hating her, but don't care...both of us now Masha is definitely the BEST!!!!;)

Of course without any doubt Maria is definitely the BEST. Our lovely princess forever :D.

P-Town Tennis
09-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Best at what? Ending at #3?

phoony
09-11-2007, 03:08 AM
The best of all. Perfect.

Rodditha
09-11-2007, 05:35 PM
She'll Will Be The Best Of Biotches.

tennispro11
09-11-2007, 05:37 PM
She'll Will Be The Best Of Biotches.

She'll will? Once again your good spelling lasted about as long as it takes to blink. :p

daddy
09-11-2007, 06:18 PM
I said she will be below some hot sportsman, I did not know it would be novak ? ;) It is pretty obvious she will not be ranked as well now but its easy to be a general afer the battle is over. I am sorry cause I think WTA sucks these days due to lack of competition. I thought WIll sisters and Sharapova will challenge Henin but not now, maybe not ever.

Rodditha
09-11-2007, 08:12 PM
I made a mistake as evryone does.

tennispro11
09-11-2007, 08:13 PM
I said she will be below some hot sportsman, I did not know it would be novak ? ;) It is pretty obvious she will not be ranked as well now but its easy to be a general afer the battle is over. I am sorry cause I think WTA sucks these days due to lack of competition. I thought WIll sisters and Sharapova will challenge Henin but not now, maybe not ever.

You are spot on with that. Very spot on.

anointedone
11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Maria ends the year ranked #5.

thalivest
11-11-2007, 08:30 PM
I would have guessed #2 before the U.S Open but the U.S Open really killed her chances of that high a ranking. Looking at the final points she could have been #2 with a better U.S Open. She could have denied Kuznetsova some of those points if she made the final over her too.

Tempest344
11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
I think the most important point to be made is

who cares?

as long as Henin is Around
Sharapova will not regain the top spot i think
if she could move better on the court maybe she'd do better