PDA

View Full Version : Prostaff 85 Original: Stringing Lower?

ubel
08-19-2007, 08:19 PM
I know there are a lot of people on the boards who are die hard fans of the racquet, and I was wondering about your specific experiences stringing at the lower end of the tension spectrum for the racquet. What type of strings have you guys used, from around what tension to what, and what the response was when hitting at the newly lowered tensions? I'm thinking about stringing the racquet at 50 lbs, but I'd like to know what I should expect. Thanks :)

Soundbyte
08-19-2007, 08:32 PM
I play mainly with ALU rough, and I used to play with it strung at 60. However, a couple months ago I knocked it down to 53 for the hell of it, and have no plans of going back up to 60.

Even if using a multi, I would have no squabbles taking it down to 46 or so. Provided you can still control the ball, anywhere down to the mid-40s seems like fair game to me. I personally haven't strung that low, but I've considered it.

morten
08-20-2007, 08:23 AM
i play it at 42 lbs..... great

phamphihung
08-20-2007, 08:44 AM
wow... 42 I play with Gramma live wire rev. 16 ga @ 56 and feel great, I'll try in the 40's for next my tring job.

goosala
08-20-2007, 12:07 PM
I string mine at 56 lbs. with syn gut and it plays nice.

357sig
08-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Mine are strung at 48lbs. with a multi and 46lbs. when using a firmer string like lightning xx in my practice racket

ubel
09-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Stringing low was a bad idea.. at first. I strung them with some Nylons at 50 and basically had some control issues at first. Eventually settled down and grew accustomed, but if I was tentative in the slightest bit on my backhand/forehand then the ball sailed 5 to 8 feet past the baseline tonight. Still, the spin I felt I was getting was rather nice, and it made for some interesting after-thoughts on the racquet.

Does anyone have a Prostaff 95 or comparable racquet? And if you do, do you feel or know if the spin potential of the 85 is lesser or not than these other racquets? I was looking at this website about backhands and forehand spins of pros (http://wings.avkids.com/Tennis/Project/usspin-05.html) and Sampras, who used a very tightly strung 85, was right up there with the rest of the tour. That made me think maybe racquet "spin potential" is a myth, or rather just another way of saying you can generate a good bit of spin on even the most off-center shots AKA more forgiving racquets.

Mickey Finn
09-01-2007, 01:42 AM
Stringing low was a bad idea.. at first. I strung them with some Nylons at 50 and basically had some control issues at first. Eventually settled down and grew accustomed, but if I was tentative in the slightest bit on my backhand/forehand then the ball sailed 5 to 8 feet past the baseline tonight. Still, the spin I felt I was getting was rather nice, and it made for some interesting after-thoughts on the racquet.

Does anyone have a Prostaff 95 or comparable racquet? And if you do, do you feel or know if the spin potential of the 85 is lesser or not than these other racquets? I was looking at this website about backhands and forehand spins of pros (http://wings.avkids.com/Tennis/Project/usspin-05.html) and Sampras, who used a very tightly strung 85, was right up there with the rest of the tour. That made me think maybe racquet "spin potential" is a myth, or rather just another way of saying you can generate a good bit of spin on even the most off-center shots AKA more forgiving racquets.

I use to play with the PS 85 at 64 lbs. My feeling is that this racquet needs a driving heavy topspin and not a brush topspin. Sampras and Courier flattened the ball with tight strings and had longer dwell time when generating topspin, while a guy like Nadal brushes the ball with looser tension.

TennsDog
09-01-2007, 05:40 AM
I played with a PS95 the other day, and I found noticeably more spin and a bit more power from it compared to my PS85. It definitely played a lot lighter, in my opinion.

MTXR
09-01-2007, 08:22 AM
The 95 does have more power and does play more lighter...and it is also easier to generate topspin.

stormholloway
09-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Keep in mind there's more dwell time with a looser tension which can result in more framed balls, especially with such a small head size. I like 57 lbs with this racquet. With a poly you can bring it down several pounds though.

psp2
09-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Setups I've tried:

1) My normal string set up is: VS17 M / SPPP 17L X at 46/48 lbs., respectively.

2) Forten Aramid Composite 18g M / VS 17 X at 40/45. Extremely lively!!! This setup really bites the ball and spits it out. Less pocketing than #1 above.

3) Forten Aramid Composite 18g M / SPPP 17L X at 40/45. The crispest feel of all. Good dwell time, but lacks the pocketing in comparison to the above two hybrids.

artworks
09-04-2007, 03:06 AM
48lbs strung with Topspin Cyber Flash 17. PS85

Bubba
09-04-2007, 04:08 AM
I use the PS85 (Have my K90's in reserve) and use the hybrid as in my signature... though I've bumped the tension up just a bit to 63m/64x. I have a swing more like Sampras/Courier/Fed. than Nadal... I have a longer dwell and don't brush the ball as much... a bit of wrist action. I get great spin with the 85 and love it. Control is awesome and I can pretty much place the ball anywhere I want. Additionally, it's a great serving setup as well. I find much better serve control/placement at the same power level with the 85.

I really wish Wilson would entertain the idea of a K85... but no worries, at least they are still making the PS 85's!!!

ubel
09-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Glad to see the responses are this varied and positive. Really, thank you guys for giving me a bit more confidence in switching toward this end of the spectrum. Wasn't sure, but all your responses have made me more confident in staying down here and play-test until I find out what my ideal tension is. Thanks! :)

My Gosen ProForm Tuff *cough* lost quite a bit of tension after stringing it at 49 after my initial hitting session, causing a tendancy for the ball to fly if I swing through it too hard. Of course, though, I'm getting a lot more pace and spin on off-center shots, so it's still a tradeoff I'm going to have to think about and test for a while.

Luckily, my second 85 came today. I've strung it up at 52lbs, so hopefully this'll be the money tension where, even after initial tension loss, it'll be tight enough to control and easily create spin/power :]

TheSneakerologist
09-05-2007, 12:05 AM
man i just strung it up with poly mains and syn gut crosses at 58 and 62. whoo it was insane. I havent hit with poly in years, but uhh I think i will just let the tension drop from 58

nickynu
09-09-2007, 02:44 AM
... I have a a bit of wrist action. and love it.!!!

CAN YOU TELL US MORE ABOUT THIS ??????

Pete.Sampras.
09-09-2007, 03:11 AM
PS85, 45-50 lbs, Luxilon BB Alu rough. It was a pleasure. Still a lot of control but with a bigger sweetspot and more power. Before I tried lower tensions I always strung my rackets at 60 lbs+ and used a thin Babolat Pro Hurricane. It was okay but nothing comes close to the BB and 45-50 lbs (depending on the surface and weather conditions) ;)

I switched to a K95 this year because I have to play doubles often. It makes me sad somehow. I think the PS85 is the best racket ever made - this feeling! But not even the pros use a 85sq head in doubles these days so...

jck01
09-09-2007, 06:39 AM
I generate enough power so I string mine at 60 lbs with Polystar Energy.

ffrpg
09-11-2007, 09:16 PM
I string mine at 50lbs with syn gut strings.

Bubba
09-11-2007, 11:55 PM
CAN YOU TELL US MORE ABOUT THIS ??????

Dork. Follow through 'late topspin' vs. 'Nadal-like' full body slam topspin.

nickynu
09-13-2007, 08:54 AM
:grin: Dork. Follow through 'late topspin' vs. 'Nadal-like' full body slam topspin.

is a body slam legal in the modern game i would have thought that using wwf wrestling moves give nadal an unfair advantage.

Maybe Federer could counter this by using a half nelson or slaming nadal into the corner post when the referees back is turned

On another issue, I tried using the late topspin once but found that it never dipped in time -

nickynu
09-13-2007, 08:56 AM
:grin: Dork. Follow through 'late topspin' vs. 'Nadal-like' full body slam topspin.

is a body slam legal in the modern game i would have thought that using wwf wrestling moves give nadal an unfair advantage.

Maybe Federer could counter this by using a half nelson or slaming nadal into the corner post when the referees back is turned

LOL - see you for Dubs tomorrow night -

nickynu
09-13-2007, 08:57 AM
sorry double post