PDA

View Full Version : Today my forehand either dropped into the net or went long

andymac1
08-19-2007, 09:26 PM
My backhand was fine amazingly enough. But my forehand today was in the craps. If I tried to hit the ball deeper it just went out, if I held back a little into the net it went. I put a major amount of topspin on my forehand, but whenever I tried to hit the ball deeper it lost almost all it's spin and went out. Any thoughts on fixing ze problem?

EricW
08-19-2007, 09:27 PM
My backhand was fine amazingly enough. But my forehand today was in the craps. If I tried to hit the ball deeper it just went out, if I held back a little into the net it went. I put a major amount of topspin on my forehand, but whenever I tried to hit the ball deeper it lost almost all it's spin and went out. Any thoughts on fixing ze problem?

Maybe restring your racquet?

Hot Sauce
08-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Could just be a natural off day. Happens to the best of us.

bradio
08-20-2007, 03:26 AM
could be an issue with your wrist on contact. try to make sure the racket face is relatively square at contact. if you were hitting long consistently it may be slightly open at contact, alternatively closed if netting. if you normally put heaps of topspin on the ball consider less wrist movement in the forward swing and follow through. hope this helps.

mark rodgers
08-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Whenever that happens to me, it's usually because I roll the wrist slightly(which of course rolls the racquet face) at contact instead of keeping the double bend (wrist and elbow) in place. It starts with the ball going into the net and if I try to compensate the ball flies long because the racquet isn't going up the back of the ball fully and it decreases the topspin. Generally I will consciously replace the roll with a windshield wipe motion which improves the ball's flight path and depth.

shindemac
08-20-2007, 12:19 PM
R u sure u doing the same thing? TIme to diagnose your stroke. Contact point, stroke path, etc. Even swing speed, little changes can reduce spin.

jck01
08-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Three things that helps me is to (1) remember to keep the elbow close to the body at contact, (2) try to keep your body upright / nearly vertical and (3) hit the ball in front of you at your target zone (i.e., ball height between your armpit and knee). It works for me. Perhaps it will work for you. Good luck!!

princess bossass
08-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Bad forehand day. If it makes you feel any better, I'm having a bad backhand month.

When I'm having consistency issues with my forehand, it helps me to remember to hit the ball a touch earlier.