PDA

View Full Version : Americans' U.S. Open prospects

Dimonator133
08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
in my opinion, not good.

But to provide more detail I put it into article form, entitled Will Agassi's U.S. Open Torch Flame Out? (http://www.articles.protennisblog.com/2.html)

anointedone
08-19-2007, 10:38 PM
Interesting article. Well written and analyzed. Very good.

anointedone
08-19-2007, 10:48 PM
I do have to correct you on one part though: "Blake has only reached the quarterfinal of a Grand Slam once, which as we all remember came in the 2005 U.S. Open when he lost to Andre Agassi in an all-time classic. One quarterfinal appearance for a guy who has been ranked consistently in to the top 10 the past few years is simply unacceptable". Blake has reached the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam twice. Last year he lost another exciting 4 set quarterfinal to Federer at the U.S Open. Also Blake did not reach the top 10ever in his career until March of 2006, so he hasnt exactly been consistently in the top 10 the past few years, at absolute most the past couple years.

SoBad
08-19-2007, 11:02 PM
I agree, the American prospects are not so bright for this USO, but there is some American hope as long as dangerous players like Sweeting and Fleishman are lurking in the draw.

Marius_Hancu
08-20-2007, 05:02 AM
in my opinion, not good.

But to provide more detail I put it into article form, entitled Will Agassi's U.S. Open Torch Flame Out? (http://www.articles.protennisblog.com/2.html)

Sampras is never once mentioned in that article.

He's the one who won 5 USO titles (and Connors), not AA.

Just another proof of the lack of respect vs. Sampras, amply materialized by the tennis taught today in the US, a baseliner's feast. Yes, simpler to teach, and more boring.

Dimonator133
08-20-2007, 05:45 AM
I do have to correct you on one part though: "Blake has only reached the quarterfinal of a Grand Slam once, which as we all remember came in the 2005 U.S. Open when he lost to Andre Agassi in an all-time classic. One quarterfinal appearance for a guy who has been ranked consistently in to the top 10 the past few years is simply unacceptable". Blake has reached the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam twice. Last year he lost another exciting 4 set quarterfinal to Federer at the U.S Open. Also Blake did not reach the top 10ever in his career until March of 2006, so he hasnt exactly been consistently in the top 10 the past few years, at absolute most the past couple years.

awesome. thanks for the comments. I'll revise.

Dimonator133
08-20-2007, 05:46 AM
Sampras is never once mentioned in that article.

He's the one who won 5 USO titles (and Connors), not AA.

Just another proof of the lack of respect vs. Sampras, amply materialized by the tennis taught today in the US, a baseliner's feast. Yes, simpler to teach, and more boring.

i'll admit i despised Sampras and loved Agassi. That said, fans never rallied around Sampras like they did Agassi the past two years, so Agassi's case was a better example for the article's argument.

Dimonator133
08-20-2007, 05:47 AM
plus Sampras has been gone since 2002, when he won the Open. Roddick picked up right where Sampras left off by winning the Open in 2003. I don't see anyone picking up where Agassi left off in 2005 and 2006...

superman1
08-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Agassi WAS the US Open the last 2 years. That's why they're talking about passing the torch. I don't see it getting passed to anyone anytime soon. Roddick and Blake are doing well at #5 and #6, but they're no fun to watch. Roddick's game is ugly, Blake is streaky. Things look bleak for the US Open.

Fedace
08-20-2007, 07:37 AM
I will predict Sam Querry and Donald young will get to at least 3rd round and Sam Warburg will get to the 4th round in a schoker.