PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you to master it?

blitzmage_89
08-20-2007, 12:54 AM
Since I'm attending university , I can only play 3-4 hours a week and there are times when I'd even go 2 weeks without playing especially when its finals week. After that 2 week break , I almost always hit inconsistent shots and it'll take me about 30 minutes to get back on being consistent. You can say my muscles forget what they should be doing.

I'm thinking of going through a 2hr/day training for one week during our semester break. Will these help me in my forget-me-not problem?

Vision84
08-20-2007, 01:17 AM
If I haven't been playing for a week or two it just takes me an hour or 2 to get comfortable and find my game again. 2hr a day for a week should be more than enough for you to get you game back. However no one but you can know for sure how long it will take you to find your old form again.

origmarm
08-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Since I'm attending university , I can only play 3-4 hours a week and there are times when I'd even go 2 weeks without playing especially when its finals week. After that 2 week break , I almost always hit inconsistent shots and it'll take me about 30 minutes to get back on being consistent. You can say my muscles forget what they should be doing.

I'm thinking of going through a 2hr/day training for one week during our semester break. Will these help me in my forget-me-not problem?

I've been playing for 20+yrs and I still have this problem sometimes after a break of a few weeks. The first 20m or so you are tentative and you have a sort of strange "muscle recall" problem. I think some people get this worse that others.
I came back from not playing for a while due to injuries recently and that was terrible for about a month or so. Now I am starting to see the consistency come back.
It will all help, the 2hr a day sessions definitely will
As for mastering it...I think many pros haven't got there yet :)

TennsDog
08-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Heck, I played 2+ hours 5 days/week in high school and when it came time for matches, I was still looking for my strokes halfway through the first set. I never have found a way to quickly warm up and get my shots grooved. I start playing my best tennis after about 45-60 minutes depending on the type of hitting.

jck01
08-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Once you get better, it won't take as long to get your groove back. Until then, it helps to stretch before and after tennis as well as keeping your body warm during warmups. I think the important thing is not to overdo it by trying to hit as hard as you can as soon as you start playing. Take it easy for the first 15-20 minutes or so to get your muscles used to what you're doing.

soggyramen
08-20-2007, 03:56 PM
if i'm playing a match it takes me about 2-3 games to get back into it but by then i'm down 3 love or 2-1 with break of serve but i almost always come back

Tarqs
08-20-2007, 05:29 PM
i usually get into the match pretty quickly, but if it the match starts going for more than 1 and a half hours, i pretty much get smashed. Need to get fitter

WildVolley
08-20-2007, 06:00 PM
This is an interesting question. If you have enough discipline and consistency, it is possible to groove strokes to the point where they should almost always be there at a satisfactory level. I think this is true for most professionals, which is part of what differentiates them from the rest of us.

What you are really doing is developing neural pathways in the brain that mostly operate subconsciously. For example, I'm a hobby juggler. It took me a long time to learn how to juggle 5 balls, but I could easily go a year without juggling now and still juggle 5 -though not as well as if I practiced. My brain has learned the motion and general timing.

With tennis, you also have the problem of moving quickly enough to the ball, reading it correctly, positioning yourself quickly and hitting it with timing. There's a small difference between a winner and hitting it long or in the net. If you are a little out of it for some reason or the opponent is doing something that makes you uncomfortable, it can seem that your game is falling apart.

I also agree with Tarqs. When I get tired, many of my shots lose consistency, because my body isn't doing what it should. Fitness definitely matters for performance.

ProStaff Legend
08-21-2007, 04:08 PM
only takes me about 10 mins if i take a break for a week. i havnt played for a month and a half (vacation and thought i'd take a breake) and we'll see how long i takes for me to get back