PDA

View Full Version : Pro Line II vs. Big Ace

pow
08-20-2007, 02:33 AM
Kirschbaum Pro Line II vs. Pro Supex Big Ace

Both strings look very similar on paper and I'm curious as to which one to go for. I hate wasting strings so I don't cut them out and I know that my next stringjob with either string is going to last me quite awhile because of a poly in a dense string pattern tend to stay in for the long run.

I'm interested in going full poly with 1.20 gauge.

Any feedback and experience of either or both strings are appreciated.

Pusher
08-20-2007, 05:19 AM
You're right, these two strings are very similar. In fact, I would not be surprised to learn they are the same string marketed under different brand names.
Maybe its just coincidence that TW does not offer Big Ace and the US retailer for Big Ace does not offer P Line II even though they sell other Kirshbaum strings.

pow
08-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks Pusher, that's an interesting point you make there.

any more feedback?
hahaha I have never tried either string nor have I seen them in person so I could use all the help I could get before I buy a set... anyone want to share some more opinions and experience?

welcome2petrkordaland
08-20-2007, 10:57 PM
never used pro supex big ace, but kirshbaum pro line II 1.2mm (i'm also trying it out at 1.15mm,which has even more bite) at 53lbs on a Babolat APD is a dream. i'm a leftie spinmeister with either heavy top off both wings when i'm not slicing.

I've tried luxilons, pro hurricane ( & tour), sppp, technifibre pro red code, and various kirshbaum strings. kirshbaum strings kick the most to me, if that's what you want.

kirshbaum competition has nasty kick, is durable, no string movement, adequate power, and is very cheap. kirshbaum supersmash honey has great power, nasty kick, is cheap, but has terrible durability and lots of string movement. kirshbaum pro line II has no string movement, nasty kick, great tension maintenance, wicked slice, average priced, but less than luxilon which is ridiculous. for me the deal breaker for pro line II is gonna be does it come in reels (includ. at 1.15mm if i choose that gauge), b/c so far i haven't seen reels of it, perhaps b/c it's new. honestly, i still can't tell the difference b/w pro line II and competition but competition, to my knowledge, does not offer thinner gauges than 1.2mm.

picking a poly should depend on how you contact the ball. some polys are better for a flatter stroke production whereas Kirshbaum strings and some others, of course, seem to favor spinny strokes and kick more. if you're a spinmeister, try between 52 or 55 lbs. at the very most to really cup the ball. don't assume lower tension=less control if you're a true spinmeister, since you're spin will give you control and bring your ball in. to a spinmeister, going 56 or higher will not allow proper cupping or ball biting and your ball will fly, like a board effect.

Pusher
08-21-2007, 06:16 AM
You can get P2 in reels (16 and 17ga). You'll have to look at around for it but it is for sale (about $150). Big Ace is selling for about $80.