PDA

View Full Version : Thicker strings = low throw angle?

ionutzakis
08-20-2007, 05:28 AM
I can't help noticing that with thicker strings the ball has a lower trajectory comming off the strings, thus it's easier to keep the ball from sailing long.

I wonder if besides the durability this is the other reason why pro's use thicker strings.

TennsDog
08-20-2007, 12:00 PM
I wasn't aware that many pros do use thicker strings. If that is the case, though, I doubt it has to do with durability with as much as (at least the top) pros restring rackets that don't have broken strings (e.g. many every day).

As for your main post, I think that effect has to do with spin. As far as I have experience and physics tells me, thinner strings provide better spin. When you produce spin, the strings sort of 'grab' the ball at impact and 'carry' it as the ball embeds itself on the stringbed. As the racket head goes from low to high (assuming topspin groundstrokes, here), the strings slide up the back of the ball and produce a torque on it, thus producing spin. Well, as I said, the ball is carried with the racket head for a short time. If the racket head is going up, the ball's trajectory will also be up. Since these parts go together (string thickness, racket head motion, spin, ball trajectory, etc.), if you get more spin, you are also going to be lifting the ball higher off the strings. Hence, thinner strings = more spin = more lift. The converse is also true: thicker strings = less spin = less lift/lower angle.