PDA

View Full Version : how to run with racquet taken back on BH??

sapient007
08-20-2007, 06:04 AM
I'm trying to get a decent 2HBH going and having problems hitting the ball clean. I think my biggest issue is the take back. I tend to have a short take back (almost snap action) before hitting my shot as a result of being rushed. I find that during matches i can barely get to the ball in time so i end up resorting to slicing. I've seen roddick (not the best BH i know) literally run with both his hands behind him so I tried his motion but find it almost impossible to get anywhere when both of my hands a locked in that position.

Steady Eddy
08-20-2007, 07:17 AM
Nowadays some experts think that you should take the racquet back only as you approach the ball. Not have it back the whole time. That interferes with your court coverage. I think this would apply to you, especially as you say that you have a very short backswing.

krz
08-20-2007, 09:58 AM
simple!

Don't run with the racket taken back. You're running a lot slower if you arn't moving your arms. Not to mention is looks goofy :P

just take it back a few steps before if you have trouble getting it back.

ChocolatePie
08-20-2007, 10:22 AM
I run with the racket in my dominant hand then prepare as soon as I can hit the ball. Like if the ball is slow the the corner, then I'll be preparing faster, but if it's like a kill shot, it's harder to get.

Mountain Ghost
08-20-2007, 11:05 AM
It sounds like you’re starting your backswing on your last step to the ball . . . which is too late. There’s no reason you should be so rushed that you can’t take a full backswing.

Try taking your backswing ONE step earlier on every ball, even if it feels uncomfortable or awkward. In a lesson situation, I would have you run with your racquet fully back for a while, and then advise you return to the one-step-earlier backswing during practice. You need to work on getting rid of that “snap action” take-back.

MG

shindemac
08-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I'd say don't. Wait until u r in position.