PDA

View Full Version : Federer / Nadal - Atp Ranking and Race Point

Tambuyu
08-20-2007, 05:22 AM
Federer now have 7605 Atp ranking points and 971 Atp race points while Nadal have 5485 and 982 respectively.

Need your comments on who will be number one this year?

PimpMyGame
08-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Federer will be number one. He has a better "run-in" and has played fewer tournaments that Nadal.

A more pertinent question would be "can Nadal retain his number 2 spot at the end of 2008?"

ninman
08-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Do we even have to answer that question? Isn't it obvious?

FEDERER

DurablePants
08-20-2007, 06:03 AM
no way guys, i believe nadal will finish #1!

soyizgood
08-20-2007, 06:09 AM
Federer will keep #1. Nadal would have to win USO AND the Masters Cup while Federer would have to get knocked out early in both events. Even then Federer could simply play the Paris Masters (I think he skipped it last year) and gain 500 points if he won as that usually has a weak field.

Nadal said he was not going to alter his schedule to chase Federer, so that means either Nadal does not want #1 that much and/or he is not willing to risk injuries to do so. Nadal hates hardcourt season and seems to come up with a injury each year to avoid hardcourt tournaments. All muscle but no courage to take on the hardcourts = Nadal.

Silent
08-20-2007, 06:36 AM
Well I doubt he lacks courage.

He runs like a madman after every single ball in clay tournaments, which wins him those tournaments but it weakens him for the hard court season. Look for him entering fewer events next year.

Federer will finish #1. Forget about defending and obtaining new points. The ATP race is what's important and he's only 11 points behind. Anything better than Nadal gets him the #1 spot.

simi
08-20-2007, 07:28 AM
Need your comments on who will be number one this year?

Too soon to tell. Ask again in three weeks.

tennis_hand
08-20-2007, 07:46 AM
now they are only 11 points apart. and you can just count the points from now on. Fed is going to gain more points than Nadal from now on until the end of the year, thus Fed is going to be year end No 1 again, otherwise, nadal has to do better than Fed at every event! seriously, it's impossible.

About Nadal, he puts his best effort on clay season. So either he exhausted himself every year during the clay season, or he simply hates hard court season, or he doesn't wanna get injured so he participated few hard court events, we don't know. And who cares? he does his best on clay. The 2nd half is for hard courters, not some dirt ballers again. enough of them during the first half of the year!

goforgold99
08-20-2007, 08:17 AM
otherwise, nadal has to do better than Fed at every event! seriously, it's impossible.
!
not necessarily! Nadal could do very good at the USO with Fed going out early. If Nadal then does just a little worse than Fed at other events Nadal will be No1.

natasha_nana
08-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Fed easily...unless the unthinkable (and unlikely) happens a the USO.

Before the US summer hard court season...there was a possibility that Nadal would give Fed a real run to the year end no 1.
And though it is still by no means a done deal...I'd say Federer has all but closed the gap between him and Nadal by his excellent showings at both summer TMS...as he has gained a ton more points than Nadal did.

And in general, I would be very surprised if Nadal out performs Federer in the part of the Calendar that Fed is usually at his best.

Rpp
08-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Federer for sure but next year there is a possibility to have new #1 if Roger is not sharper. And then there could be more than one challenger.

fastdunn
08-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Look how effortlessly Federer catches up on race points in the 2nd half.
It would take monumental efforts for #2 or #3 to take over #1 spot
this year... unless Federer somehow loses early at US Open and #2
wins US Open...

goforgold99
08-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Look how effortlessly Federer catches up on race points in the 2nd half.

effortlessly?? :D

not at all. he had to struggle hard to catch up in the race. there were three matches he could've easily lost in cinci, esp. against hewitt

The tennis guy
08-20-2007, 10:55 AM
there were three matches he could've easily lost in cinci, esp. against hewitt
Isn't also true he could have won in two sets as well against Hewitt if you say he could've easily lost?

prostaff1
08-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Nadal could easily overtake Fed in the ranking entry points by the end of the year. Nadal has ZERO points to defend- Roger has to defend US OPEN, MADRID, PARIS and Shanghai. Tough road ahead for Fed.

goforgold99
08-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Isn't also true he could have won in two sets as well against Hewitt if you say he could've easily lost?
not so much, if you take in consideration how he played the matches before..

Enigma_87
08-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Nadal could easily overtake Fed in the ranking entry points by the end of the year. Nadal has ZERO points to defend- Roger has to defend US OPEN, MADRID, PARIS and Shanghai. Tough road ahead for Fed.

Paris??
What are u on? Nice mushrooms there, now go back to bed..

The tennis guy
08-20-2007, 11:21 AM
not so much, if you take in consideration how he played the matches before..

I guess people like you can insist whatever you want without looking at fact. Federer had a match point in second set while Hewitt never had one the whole match. In your opinion, Hewitt was more close to winning the match than Federer winning in two sets. Great logic.

8PAQ
08-20-2007, 11:29 AM
From now on till the end of the year Fed has to earn 12 race points more than Nadal to finish #1. Given their past results I think nothing short of Fed getting a major injury will stop him from being #1 again.

If both Nadal and Fed stay injury free then the best Nadal can hope for is to finish the year as close #2 and then try to win 2008 AO and become the new #1.

If Fed is still ahead of Nadal after 2008 AO then it will be very unlikely Nadal will ever be #1. At that point he will be fighting very hard to to defend all his slow hard courts/clay/grass points and stop Djokovic from taking over #2 spot.

Window of opportunity for Nadal to be #1 is closing. Djokovic is younger then him and his game will improve more than Nadal's from now on. Assuming Fed, Nadal and Djokovic remain injury free, I am pretty sure a year from now Nadal will be #3.

prostaff1
08-20-2007, 11:57 AM
hey enigma you are right! sorry i was wrong- but you need to relax anyway.
the point still remains. take away 1000 points from roger if he doesn't win the open and add 1000 for rafa if he wins... pretty close in points. then it comes down to the 3 indoors masters events...2 of which roger needs to defend. not easy!

JLyon
08-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Rafa will be lucky to get to 4th round at USO, if he runs into a bigger hitter early on he is toast, while Federer will probably cruise until 4th Round then kick into another gear.

BigServer1
08-20-2007, 01:09 PM
hey enigma you are right! sorry i was wrong- but you need to relax anyway.
the point still remains. take away 1000 points from roger if he doesn't win the open and add 1000 for rafa if he wins... pretty close in points. then it comes down to the 3 indoors masters events...2 of which roger needs to defend. not easy!

You can't add 1,000 points for Nadal if he wins the Open. He has QF points to defend so he could gain what, 700, 750 points? Also, to take away 1,000 points from Federer would mean he loses in the first round...I can't see that happening unless he shows up in a wheelchair.

tennis_hand
08-20-2007, 05:09 PM

what do you mean defend?
look at the race points, and then u won't talk about those defending points for year end no 1. the race has just started from the nearly-equal starting line.