PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Strings - Question to Rabbit

Big Tigger
08-20-2007, 07:28 AM
Hey, Rabbit.
Maybe I will be in the States soon so I would like to know how is your
experience with the Pacific Strings going.
Are you still playing with it? What about the playable life? How does
it compare with TiMo?

Thanks a lot, man
Best.

Rabbit
08-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Hey, it's going great. I am on my 3rd set of Xtreme. With regard to a TiMo comparison, here you go:

Control - they are equal here. Both make you feel like you can put the ball where ever you want. They both build confidence over time and let you swing away.
Spin - again, equal. Both TiMo and Xtreme deliver a really good dose of spin and it's tight.
Touch - Xtreme is a lot better. It cups the ball and is actually comfortable. If you read my posts about TiMo, I always said that it felt like crap, but th reason I used it was the results. With TiMo, I could really hit out from the baseline, but I struggled from the service line to net with volleys. Xtreme plays more like, well, gut which is a claim TiMo made.
Comfort - Xtreme is the hands down winner. It delivers and feels great. It's not too harsh, you can feel it cup the ball, and it delivers great feedback.
Power - Xtreme has a lot more power than TiMo, but with the control, it is a good thing. Xtreme's power is most notable on serves. I can really hit with some good pace.
Durability - Xtreme's durability is about double that of TiMo, around 20 hours. Now, I probably left it in too long, but control was still there. Well, everything but serving was just as strong.
Tension Maintenance - Xtreme is the best thing this side of natural gut. I'm not exaggerating here either. It just doesn't lose tension and plays great.
Gauge - Xtreme is marked as 16L, but it is probably the same as TiMo's 17 gauge. Pacific is not as "generous" as some other brands with their gauge labeling.With the C10, it's pretty clear to me that I like a firmer string. I'm now thinking about putting a half set of Prime in the mains and cross it with Xtreme to see how that plays. I'm also going to give Poly Force a whirl. I've heard it plays a little firmer than Xtreme.

But, I can tell you that Xtreme is a great string and definitely better than TiMo all things considered.

Let me know when you try it, I hope this helps.

Keifers
08-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Greetings, Rabbit... from the pumpkin patch (huh? read on...)

I'm getting ready to fire up my C9 Pro again and thinking about using Tough Gut in the mains (bought a half set from TW). In the past, I've strung it with the Bab VS 17 mains/Gosen Jim Courier 17 crosses @ 61 -- and quite liked it. The JC firmed up the stringbed a little compared with full VS or VS and a softer cross.

Can I ask you for your thoughts about a cross string for the Tough Gut? What differences do you imagine I might find between the two string jobs? And when you've used Tough Gut, did you pre-stretch it -- lightly? normally?

Many thanks.

fastdunn
08-20-2007, 05:32 PM
ASFIK, Extreme is a poly, right ?
You consider its tension maintenance is among best in synthetics ?

Anyway, this is a seperate question.
I've used values guts: Tonic+, Legend uncoated.
How does classic gut(natural) compared to these ?

Thanks

Rabbit
08-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Greetings, Rabbit... from the pumpkin patch (huh? read on...)

I'm getting ready to fire up my C9 Pro again and thinking about using Tough Gut in the mains (bought a half set from TW). In the past, I've strung it with the Bab VS 17 mains/Gosen Jim Courier 17 crosses @ 61 -- and quite liked it. The JC firmed up the stringbed a little compared with full VS or VS and a softer cross.

Can I ask you for your thoughts about a cross string for the Tough Gut? What differences do you imagine I might I between the two string jobs? And when you've used Tough Gut, did you pre-stretch it -- lightly, normally?

Many thanks.

The C9, one sweet racket, and for me a gateway racket to the C10. <sigh>

Your choice of cross depends on what you're looking to accomplish. Tough Gut is very firm playing IMO. It doesn't lose tension and IMO plays tighter (tension-wise) than other guts. IMO, I'd start with the JC. It's a great string and given that crosses don't do that much for a string job, you probably won't be dissatisfied with the results.

I took my prestretch from something Don Hightower said on the boards. I stretch it until the coil memory is just about gone. Now, for some strings it means pulling like hell, for others not as much. I prestretch until it lays flat, or close to it on the floor.

Rabbit
08-20-2007, 05:45 PM
ASFIK, Extreme is a poly, right ?
You consider its tension maintenance is among best in synthetics ?

Anyway, this is a seperate question.
I've used values guts: Tonic+, Legend uncoated.
How does classic gut(natural) compared to these ?

Thanks

IMO, Xtreme maintains tension about as well as natural gut. Yes, it's a co-poly (I'd need some help to explain that.)

I think I may have installed Legend uncoated (16 gauge) too loose. My experience was that it felt great, but it was a bit too powerful. I liked it, but had trouble with control. I increased spin to control the ball, but really had to work a lot more.

I like Classic better than Legend. It plays firmer and for me is easier to control. Tension maintenance is about the same, but I've been told that it's wound tighter hence the firmer string bed. I don't think I've used Tonic, I opted for VS Team or Touch when using Babolat. Both of them are fine guts and have a very cushioned feel. I can't imagine Tonic being that much different.

I posted earlier that I may try a gut/poly hybrid again in my C10. If you'd like, I can string up some Classic and give it a whirl. My experience before with Classic was in the Vilas and a set in the Cat 8. Classic is the softest of the Pacifics IMO with Prime in the middle and Tough the firmest.

fastdunn
08-20-2007, 06:04 PM
thanks, rabbit. classic/Xtreme combo would be my last experiment on
gut/poly hybrid land...

tlm
08-20-2007, 08:28 PM
I have used both of these strings+ there is no way that extreme puts the same spin on the ball that timo does.

It also does not have the same amount of power as timo.The extreme has better comfort, but to say it is equal in spin in power is dead wrong.

I have tried most of the polys out there+ nothing puts more spin on the ball than timo or bb ace!!

Rabbit
08-21-2007, 12:44 PM
way way way!

mileslong
08-21-2007, 03:51 PM
i think that ace is one of the best polys out there, great spin and feel, much softer than the other luxilons and the price is awesome, what else do you want from a string?

Rabbit
08-21-2007, 03:57 PM
^You know, I tried Ace twice. I really wanted to like it, but for some reason I just didn't like that string at all. No feel for me at all, either good or bad. I don't know what it was, but Ace and Supersense were to Lux products that just never did anything for me.

tlm
08-21-2007, 08:16 PM
I dont know if someone here sells for pacific or is just in love with the xtreme.But to say that xtreme will give you the same spin+power that luxilon timo or bb ace does is flat out wrong.

I have used many pacific products, i think that thier nat. gut is the best you can buy+ the poly force is a good string.I also liked the xtreme, i wanted to use it because it does have great comfort for a poly.But it isnt even close to timo or bb ace when it comes to spin+ power.

I have spent a lot of money on strings+ have really been into the polys in the last year or so.I wanted to find a poly that would perform like luxilon, but there just isnt any out there.

Even with luxilon there are only 2 that really stand out + that is bb ace + timo.But the timo is harder on the arm so i go with the bb ace. The ace puts more spin on the ball than any other string, just ask my opponents.As soon as i started using the bb ace i was getting a lot of complaints about the amount of spin i was getting.

If you arent a big spin player then you might not notice, but if you use heavy topspin you will see what i mean.The only string i found remotely close was kirschbaum competition, but it still is not like the ace.

I was using pacific poly force+ xtreme+ i liked them both but they would not produce that sic spin, once i went to the bb ace i knew that this string was different from the other polys.Since changing to bb ace my game has definitely improved.All i can tell you is try them both, i can guarantee you that xtreme is not even close in spin production to bb ace!!!!

Rabbit
08-22-2007, 01:53 PM
I dont know if someone here sells for pacific or is just in love with the xtreme.But to say that xtreme will give you the same spin+power that luxilon timo or bb ace does is flat out wrong.

Wrong for you, but not for me. Your experience does not mirror mine, plain and simple. To try and extrapolate your experience into an absolute truth is really disingenuous. I wish I did sell for Pacific, anything would be better than working on the project I'm on right now.

I have used many pacific products, i think that thier nat. gut is the best you can buy+ the poly force is a good string.I also liked the xtreme, i wanted to use it because it does have great comfort for a poly.But it isnt even close to timo or bb ace when it comes to spin+ power.

In your experience, not mine.

I have spent a lot of money on strings+ have really been into the polys in the last year or so.I wanted to find a poly that would perform like luxilon, but there just isnt any out there.

The last year or so? I started using TIMO back in 2002 as evidenced on TW's feedback site. Again, you haven't found a poly that will perform like TiMo, I have. And, that poly is Xtreme.

Even with luxilon there are only 2 that really stand out + that is bb ace + timo.But the timo is harder on the arm so i go with the bb ace.

So, just how many sets of TiMo have you used? I think I've strung over 50 for myself, maybe more. I can say for sure 2 sets of Ace. I didn't like it, I tried it twice and put it down. But, the difference is, you don't see me saying Ace isn't as good for everyone. It just wasn't for me.

All i can tell you is try them both, i can guarantee you that xtreme is not even close in spin production to bb ace!!!!

But, again, for me, they were.

tlm
08-22-2007, 02:50 PM
I said in the last year i have been using polys a lot, i didnt say i just started using polys in the last year.I was using them 4 years ago, but then i went to gut + stayed with that for a while.Then tried a lot of multis+ syn. string+ then back to polys.

I have used 8 sets of timo+ 40 or more of bb ace, so i think i have some experience with these strings.I turned a friend on to bb ace 4 years ago + he is still using it today.

You are the one being disingenuos with these wild claims of xtreme producing the same spin + power as bb ace+ timo.I would love to hear from more people who have used these strings+ see if they support your claims.

Topspin is a huge part of my game + i have tried many different strings to see which would perform the best.It is hands down bb ace or timo, like i stated earlier i really didnt want to use the over priced lux. strings, but when they out perform everything else that is what i am going to use.Also i found that the other lux. strings werent that special, but the ace+timo definitely are!!!!

Rabbit
08-23-2007, 07:56 AM
OK, so by "wild claims", are you then implying that everyone should have the same experience as you with both strings and rackets? In another thread, you recommended the RDS002. I find Yonex frames dead feeling. How can that be? If you like them, EVERYONE should like them. And yet, by some miracle, other racket companies find a way to sell frames! Does everyone you play use the same frame, string and tension you do?

Surely everyone should be as on board with Ace as you are, right? And yet, other string companies find a way to sell their products and make profits. The concept is simply amazing, I know.

Does your "my experience fits everyone else" apply to tension as well? If someone doesn't play the same game as you, is their experience less credible?

I didn't care for Ace. I tried it twice. I didn't like it both times. Now, I know you find this hard to believe, but there are some people who won't have the same experience as you.

To use another analogy that might make it clear, do you ever wonder why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors?

tlm
08-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Now we are going from poly strings to yonex racquets.But you find yonex frames dead feeling.Does that mean you have tried all yonex racquets+they are all dead?

I have used wilson, babolat, head, prince,+ now yonex.There was some discussion about yonex racquets+ i suggested the rds002 tour ul because i think it is a nice stick.Dont recall saying it is the only good racquet.

Like i said before i wanted to find a poly that played as good as bb ace but with better comfort.I spent a lot of time + money experimenting with a wide range of strings.I used 3 different pacific polys, because i like thier string+ they are easier on the arm than bb ace.

But my friends that i was playing against would all comment on how much more spin the bb ace put on the ball.The reason i gave the bb ace another shot was because one of my friends that i play once a week put a set of bb ace in his racquet+ i noticed right away how much more power + spin he had compared to the other strings he had been using.

So i decided to try it again+ sure enough my spin + power went up big time. That does not mean everybody that trys it will feel the same way i do.Like i said before i think you need to be a spin type player to really notice the difference that poly makes.

Luxilon was the last poly i tried because it was hard on my arm a few years back when i first used it.Also the other luxilon strings that a lot of people use, i did not find to be that much different than the cheaper polys out there.But the bb ace+timo are something special.

I dare anyone that is a topspin player to try bb ace or timo+ see if they dont notice the difference in spin production.I am sure thier are other people like you that may not like it, but i would bet that the majority would see the difference.I would also bet that if enough topspin players compared bb ace to xtreme they would see the obvious huge difference in spin production from the bb ace!!!!!!!!!!