PDA

View Full Version : Best Synthetic Gut ???

Bubba
08-20-2007, 07:50 AM
So, what do be the Best Synthetic Guts in terms of:
Feel/Touch:
Spin:
Ability to Retain Tension:
Durability:

goosala
08-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Prince syn gut original

Forehand Forever
08-20-2007, 01:38 PM
I tried Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament and I like it a lot. I've got my Babolat Pure Drive with Cortex and this string strung at 58 and it feels great. I've got a shoulder injury and even with my stiff Babolat frame I had no pain after I played. I'm not sure about the tension holding yet but so far it's been great hitting wise.

nickb
08-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Gosen Micro and Prince Synthetic Gut Original/Duraflex....the micro does not last as long.

haerdalis
08-20-2007, 03:06 PM
I like forten sweet

xtremerunnerars
08-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Forten sweet is great to combine with low powered polys because you really do get the best of both worlds.

Kirko
08-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Prince syn gut original

Big Ditto !!!! I've been using it since 1981 & have tried others, but prn.syn.gut is the flagship and at high tensions it really comes to life, that is the ball coming off the string sounds like a "thunder-clap". Sabatini uses it and so did Jay Berger and I've know a lot of solid 6.0 players who have also.

haerdalis
08-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Forten sweet is great to combine with low powered polys because you really do get the best of both worlds.

Yeah thats exactly right.

fastdunn
08-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Prince syn gut original

i second this. the duraflex one is tad stiffer with kevlar coating.

nickarnold2000
08-20-2007, 11:32 PM
i just wish that the Forten Sweet reel was cheaper like the Gosen sheep micro. As it is, it's $20 more expensive!

BreakPoint
08-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Gosen OG Sheep Micro.

haerdalis
08-21-2007, 02:28 AM
i just wish that the Forten Sweet reel was cheaper like the Gosen sheep micro. As it is, it's $20 more expensive!

That is money well spent if you ask me.

denty151
08-21-2007, 02:41 AM
don't mean to be an *****, but isn't this the part where
BP says "This topic has been discussed ad nauseam, use
the search feature". =P

haerdalis
08-21-2007, 03:42 AM
It is also the kind of topic where there will never be a definitive answer...so it will keep popping up now and then. For me however forten sweet is the answer.

federer envies me
08-21-2007, 06:18 AM
anyone know what the best s. gut to pair up with a poly in a hybrid is

stevekim8
08-21-2007, 07:05 AM
probably soft synthetic gut to go with poly, since poly is stiff

mhstennis100
08-21-2007, 08:09 AM
I use Ashaway Synthetic 17 in my AG200s. Good playability and price with average durability. I tried Prince Synthetic Gut Multifiliament and Gamma Revelation 17 too, and they are good strings, but not worth the extra 4 bucks for stringjob.

Keifers
08-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Can anyone compare Prince Synthetic Gut Original and Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament? Advantages, disadvantages in feel/touch, spin, tension hold, etc.

Thanks.

nickarnold2000
08-21-2007, 09:23 AM
That is money well spent if you ask me.
I guess if I'm using this in the crosses then I should be able to get about 32-33 frames out of a reel. Spread the extra $20 over 33 string jobs and it's not really that more expensive is it? By the way, what gauge are you all using?

TripleB
08-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Yonex 850 Feel.

TripleB

kirbster123
08-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Wilson Super Spin

goosala
08-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Prince syn gut vs. multifilament:
The multi plays very lively and has more power. Both play crisp and easy on the arm. It depends on how much control you want. If control is the utmost important thing then use the original.

Keifers
08-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Prince syn gut vs. multifilament:
The multi plays very lively and has more power. Both play crisp and easy on the arm. It depends on how much control you want. If control is the utmost important thing then use the original.
Many thanks. :)

Fedace
09-06-2007, 08:33 PM

Is Forten Sweet a good string to combine in a hybrid with a poly string ? i am looking for good feel/control, cost is not a issue since i go thru alot of string anyway. :grin:

lookitstrevor
09-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Gosen OG Sheep Micro.

^^

Too bad the only place I can get this amazing string is tw.com. Luckily everyone sells PSG though, which is still a great string.

Fedace
09-06-2007, 08:54 PM
^^

Too bad the only place I can get this amazing string is tw.com. Luckily everyone sells PSG though, which is still a great string.

what is PSG?? and Isn't gosen strings have Oil on them ? and they make the balls oily ?

shojun25
09-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Prince syn gut original

ditto.

If you compare this string to a Nintendo character, it would be like Mario, an above-average character :p

PSG is Prince Synthetic Gut

Fedace
09-06-2007, 08:58 PM
ditto.

If you compare this string to a Nintendo character, it would be like Mario, an above-average character :p

PSG is Prince Synthetic Gut

I used to use PSG about 10 years ago but i thought it was just a average string. but good news is that the NEW prince synthetic gut is getting some rave reviews. i haven't tried it but is it that good?? and would it work with hybrid with Poly like Blue gear ??:confused:

shojun25
09-06-2007, 09:11 PM
I used to use PSG about 10 years ago but i thought it was just a average string. but good news is that the NEW prince synthetic gut is getting some rave reviews. i haven't tried it but is it that good?? and would it work with hybrid with Poly like Blue gear ??:confused:

I believe that PSG is better feel-wise than PSGD. PSG is great for a full string job. For hybrids with poly mains, I like to use nxt (if I feel like using a bit extra for strings) or Gosen OG Micro. OG Micro feels softer than other syn guts I've played with, so it reduces that harsh poly feel. I haven't actually played with Blue Gear, but I have read some reviews about how good it is. OG Micro or PSG, the cross string you choose will, most likely, just affect the feel of the ball; however, I'd still go with OG Micro with the hybrid. Just my 2 cents.

Fedace
09-06-2007, 09:37 PM
I believe that PSG is better feel-wise than PSGD. PSG is great for a full string job. For hybrids with poly mains, I like to use nxt (if I feel like using a bit extra for strings) or Gosen OG Micro. OG Micro feels softer than other syn guts I've played with, so it reduces that harsh poly feel. I haven't actually played with Blue Gear, but I have read some reviews about how good it is. OG Micro or PSG, the cross string you choose will, most likely, just affect the feel of the ball; however, I'd still go with OG Micro with the hybrid. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I am going to try the Wilson NXT tour and see how it plays with blue gear. Is Gosen micro just as good as far as feel/control as wilson NXT tour ?? and have you tried K-gut by wilson as well ?? i heard some mixed things about it.:confused:

shojun25
09-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Thank you so much for the feedback. I am going to try the Wilson NXT tour and see how it plays with blue gear. Is Gosen micro just as good as far as feel/control as wilson NXT tour ?? and have you tried K-gut by wilson as well ?? i heard some mixed things about it.:confused:

I would prefer NXT than OG Micro anytime, but its the cost that's killing me. Another alternative would be Prince's new multifilament (only $6), but I canno give you any feedback on that because I haven't tried it yet. And no, I haven't tried K-gut yet, but I heard that it is VERY similar to NXT.

Fedace
09-06-2007, 09:54 PM
I would prefer NXT than OG Micro anytime, but its the cost that's killing me. Another alternative would be Prince's new multifilament (only $6), but I canno give you any feedback on that because I haven't tried it yet. And no, I haven't tried K-gut yet, but I heard that it is VERY similar to NXT.

You know what, that K-gut is very expensive, more than NXT. and it has fluoro fiber in it which makes sense to me. Wilson has joined forces with Luxilon and use of fluor resin makes sense. I am afraid K-gut might be too similar to the Luxilon BB alu power Fluoro string, which i did Not like at all. and have you tried Tech Biphase X-1 string, how does it compare to NXT ??

BreakPoint
09-07-2007, 01:21 AM
don't mean to be an *****, but isn't this the part where
BP says "This topic has been discussed ad nauseam, use
the search feature". =P
No, this is what I said:
Gosen OG Sheep Micro.
If you only bothered to read the posts before yours.

kaztennis
09-07-2007, 01:43 AM

PSGD and Gosen Micro is similar but NXT Tour which is a Wilson high end multi plays a lot different from PSGD or Gosen Micro which is a simple synthetic string. NXT Tour, X1-Biphase, NRG2, NXTs are multi and it is more comfy with polyurethane in them. PSGD and Gosen are more crispy and some people might say that the multis are a bit mushy.

Fedace
09-07-2007, 03:44 PM
PSGD and Gosen Micro is similar but NXT Tour which is a Wilson high end multi plays a lot different from PSGD or Gosen Micro which is a simple synthetic string. NXT Tour, X1-Biphase, NRG2, NXTs are multi and it is more comfy with polyurethane in them. PSGD and Gosen are more crispy and some people might say that the multis are a bit mushy.

NXT tour and X1-Biphase, which string is better for control and feel ? and how does the new K-gut tour compare to those two??:confused:

tbini87
09-07-2007, 05:41 PM
gosen og micro, psg(d).

iplaybetter
09-07-2007, 07:43 PM
if gut like synthetic is cool x-1 wins if you mean syn gut i like micro

Stannie
09-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Gosen OG Sheep

or

Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex

barry
09-09-2007, 02:54 AM
I normally use Gosen Polylon SP 17, but lately playing 5 singles match a week, I started feeling the shoulder. Purchased a reel of Babolat Fine Play 17 and it is very soft and plays great. No more shoulder issues. It is not the most durable string, but I like it. PSGD is a little stiff in comparison for me. Use and Nsix-One 95 (16 x 18) and string the fine play at 54. I get greater ball control and so far very little string movement.

PSGD is rated 212 in stiffness, Babolat fine play is 208, and the polylon SP 17 is rated at 215. There is a world of difference between the 3 with Fine Play being much softer string.

Keifers
09-09-2007, 09:34 AM
^^^ I've always found Bab SFP to be an excellent string among the cheaper monofilaments -- lively, responsive, very nice feel. Its playability doesn't last as long as, say, PSGO or OG Micro, though. (In fact, I'd say less than half as long.)

Fedace
09-09-2007, 09:42 AM
^^^ I've always found Bab SFP to be an excellent string among the cheaper monofilaments -- lively, responsive, very nice feel. Its playability doesn't last as long as, say, PSGO or OG Micro, though. (In fact, I'd say less than half as long.)

TW is very big on X-1 biphase, they gave it a great review, long extended praise by them. so yesterday i bought one, i am going to hybrid it with poly, hope it works.:grin:

Keifers
09-09-2007, 10:04 AM
TW is very big on X-1 biphase, they gave it a great review, long extended praise by them. so yesterday i bought one, i am going to hybrid it with poly, hope it works.:grin:
Let us know how it goes...

What racquet are you putting it in?

Fedace
09-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Let us know how it goes...

What racquet are you putting it in?

Yonex RDS 001 extended racket and Yonex RQS-11 racket. I will soon change to RQIS tour 1 probably and customize it and extend it as well. I really hope X-1 is better string, i always hated TEch strings in the past cause they lost tension very very quickly.

Azzurri
09-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Wilson Super Spin

Kirbster...I sent you string and was wondering if you got them. No replies to emails.:confused:

Quick_silver
09-10-2007, 11:24 AM
head syn gut

ryan808
09-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Has anyone played with Gosen Super JC (16g)? If so, how does it compare to OG Micro? Is it worth the extra $60/reel (aside from the extra 120')?

Pusher
09-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Has anyone played with Gosen Super JC (16g)? If so, how does it compare to OG Micro? Is it worth the extra $60/reel (aside from the extra 120')?

The JC is better. Is it worth the extra $$$? I can't answer that.

The JC is probably the best solid core I've used with maybe PSGD as a second. I have used both as a full set-up while the OG micro makes a decent cross.

There are even more expensive synguts out there like some of the Gamma strings and I believe Pacific also makes a high-end syngut. If I was going to use a syngut as my primary string I would probably go with the JC.

ryan808
09-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the reply and info. I'll give the Super JC a spin.

Fedace
09-25-2007, 04:26 PM
I tried the Tech X-1 biphase and pro hurr tour hybrid last weekend and it was great. Surprised me by giving me as much or more power than natural gut. And i was schocked the way it held tension so well. and i was able to get nice spin as well as Feel. i was able to hit pinpoint drop volley like John Mcenroe. and this is with 1/2 poly in there.

Bubba
09-26-2007, 03:58 AM

Thanks - I would agree... my top 3 are NXT Tour, NRG2, and X-1 - all play pretty similar but out of the 3, NXTT and X-1 rise to the top. NRG2 is good but requires breakin and tends to lose its tension a bit.

hoodjem
09-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks for this post. It is most informative.

Can anyone answer this question:
Which of these would have the most texture?

Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament
Prince Original Synthetic Gut
Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex

Racer41c
10-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Can anyone compare Prince Synthetic Gut Original and Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament? Advantages, disadvantages in feel/touch, spin, tension hold, etc.

Thanks.

I liked the M version a lot better. The original to me never felt that great and seemed to lose it's life very quickly. The PSGM 16 is a very good string.

[K]Topspin
05-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Forten sweet
Pro Supex Titan
Gosen OG Micro.

BigT
05-14-2008, 08:54 PM
OG Micro 16.....feels great and lasts longer than expected...

MTChong
05-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Trying to keep it in the same price range... I'd recommend Head Synthetic Gut PPS 18g. I've played a few sets, and it plays really sweet up until it breaks. That said, it breaks pretty quick, even in a dense pattern.

supertrex
05-15-2008, 07:00 AM
what is the advantage of synthetic vs Natural?

zebano
05-15-2008, 07:55 AM
I like PSGD 17g at 54 lbs in my ncode six-one 95. PSG is also good but it wears out too quickly.