PDA

View Full Version : Serena had pulled out of only pre-U.S Open warmup in New Haven this week

anointedone
08-20-2007, 08:19 AM
This was a report from 3 days ago, but still of interest nonetheless:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=ApE5B_lMiYjSd35dCaGKtuE4v7YF?slug=ap-pilotpen-williams&prov=ap&type=lgns

Serena Williams withdraws from Pilot Pen tournament because of lingering thumb injury

NEW HAVEN, CONN. (AP) -- Serena Williams withdrew Friday from her debut at the Pilot Pen tournament, citing a thumb injury that has sidelined her since Wimbledon.

Williams had accepted a wild-card entry for the tournament that begins Sunday, hoping to use it as a testing ground for the U.S. Open.

"I am frustrated and extremely disappointed that I won't be able to play at the Pilot Pen," Williams said in a statement. "I tried to have a full practice, hoping that my thumb would feel better, but unfortunately, it is still not 100 percent. I am not able to play at the level that I had hoped."

Her agent, Jill Smoller, said Williams still plans to play at the U.S. Open, which begins Aug. 27.

"Her status remains the same -- planning on playing," Smoller said. "She just needs more time."

Williams, an eight-time Grand Slam champion who won the Australian Open this year, has not played since hurting her left thumb, wrist and calf during her run to the Wimbledon quarterfinals. She's ranked No. 8.

Venus Williams, who is not entered in the event, won the Pilot Pen from 1999-2002.

Amelie Mauresmo withdrew earlier this month, citing a need to fully recover from her appendectomy in March. The women's field is now headlined by No. 5 Svetlana Kuznetsova; No. 10 Daniela Hantuchova; No. 11 Marion Bartoli; and No. 17 Elena Dementieva.

Lindsay Davenport will play doubles after having a baby in June.

"The goal of mine is to return and play singles," said Davenport, who held son Jagger Jonathan Leach in her arms during a news conference Friday. "I feel like I'm going at it with a singles player mentality, even though in this tournament I'm playing doubles. Hopefully, in some time, I'll be able to play singles again."

On the men's side, British player Andy Murray withdrew because of a wrist injury.

Eighth-ranked James Blake, the 2005 champion, joins a field that includes No. 7 Tommy Robredo and defending champion Nikolay Davydenko.

The ATP is investigating Davydenko for suspicious betting patterns in a match in Poland. The Russian retired in the third set with an injury while playing Martin Vassallo Arguello of Argentina.

"As far as I know that investigation will not be complete before the U.S. Open, so Nikolay will be playing here," tournament director Anne Worcester said.

The event runs through Aug. 25 at the Connecticut Tennis Center at Yale.

So now it is a "lingering thumb injury". Always something new and strange with Serena it seems.

phamphihung
08-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Nothing new.. same old... same old....