PDA

View Full Version : Recommending strings to peopl

xtremerunnerars
08-20-2007, 08:39 AM
*edit* I know that I spelled the title wrong...d'oh!

This came up today when someone asked me to string their racquet. I have played with quite a few poly strings but my syn gut experience is limited to around 5 strings.

My question is mostly to more experienced stringers, and it is: How and what do you recommend to people?

I mean after they tell you what they like/how they play, what do you base your suggestions on? I'm usually spot on with tension recommendation, but I don't know that I'd always pick the best string for them.

Valjean
08-20-2007, 08:45 AM
How much they play, if it's baseline or net, if they rely on spin a lot, if they have injuries and/or are injury prone, what they liked--and didn't--about their last stringjob, how often they plan to restring.

A lot has to do with you, though--do you actually want to help them improve their game, or just put something in they're likely to come back for again?

jonolau
08-20-2007, 08:48 AM
1. Go and read up and learn about the characteristics of different types of strings.
2. Your credibility increases when you are able to say that you've played with a particular type of string and can compare it with others.
3. Stringing is not only about being able to string a racquet properly, it is also about matching the strings to suit a person's playing style, expectations and aspirations.
4. You will thus need to find out what they like and what they dislike about their current string. When you find this out you then recommend something that suits what they are looking for, which are usually:

- Durability
- String movement
- Tension maintenance
- Comfort
- Power
- Control
- Stiffness/softness (which relates more to feel rather than comfort)
- Any other criteria which you can think of

Hope this helps.

xtremerunnerars
08-20-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm pretty set on the types of string and what their benefits/drawbacks are, I was sort of getting at the subtleties of the strings.

I think that it's more important to help them out with their game. If they like what they get enough, then they will come back. If they don't, then oh well they know what they like now.

Thanks for jumping in guys, I'm glad that two experienced stringers saw the thread.

Steve Huff
08-20-2007, 07:38 PM
I used to play with every string I'd carry. That way, I knew exactly how to relate it with other strings. However, as I've aged, and poly's have become more popular, I have to rely on others I string for sometimes to give me feedback. I rarely use a poly any more.

1. You really need to know/look at what's currently being used. If you don't, about any string/tension setup is a guess. I wouldn't call it a "guess", I'd call it a "starting point".
2. With experience, you can get an idea how tight the stringjob is by feeling it. I don't use a StringMeter as they aren't accurate. They're good for "relative" tension, but not absolute tension.
3. Find out what they're looking for in a string that their current string doesn't provide. Power, control, spin, durability, comfort. Generally, there's a trade-off of one to get another. A customer who wants more comfort in a string that lasts 3 times as long is going to be tough. Can it be done? Well, yes. You could use a soft poly strung about 10# lower than what the synthetic he now uses. Is that the best option? Maybe not. You have to be able to explain trade-offs sometimes.
4. You have to know the person's price range. I can talk natural gut until I'm blue in the face, but some kid who's struggling to put a cheap poly in his racket every time it breaks isn't listening. If it's a girlfriend, and you're footing the bill, what's it worth?
Hope this helps.

iplaybetter
08-20-2007, 08:14 PM
ask cost and what the want and then you now from there