PDA

View Full Version : Serve and Volley Players vs. Agressive baseliners vs. Defensive Baseliners

Misiti99
08-20-2007, 08:59 AM
S&V- Henman, Karlovic, Stepanek, Ancic, Santoro, Querrey, Isner, Bjorkman, Lopez, Benneteau

Agressive Baseliners- Federer, Djokovic, Davydenko, Roddick, Blake, Gonzalez,Youzhny, Berdych, Haas, Baghdatis, Safin, Mathieu, Ferrero (now), Soderling, verdasco, Del Potro

Defensive/Neutral baseliners- Nadal, Coria (rest his soul), Robredo, Ljubicic, Gasquet, Canas, Ferrer, Hewitt, Murray, Chela, Monaco, Nalbandian, Nieminen, Volandri, Starace, Hrbaty, Clement, Monfils, Montanes, Calleri

Now, I am sure we will have people that say O NO, Nadal is serve and volley, and Henman is a baseliner or other silly comments but this is just general and don't shoot me. My point is that Serve and Volley is dying like all of you say, but it is because there are many players who are able to pass better, specifically look at the large Defensive/Neutral baeliner list. Very good baseliners who in my opinion can pass at will when you put them against serve and volleyers. S&V has become something you do if you are over 6'5...such as Ancic, Isner, Querrey, Karlovic. Santoro does it very effectively, and was only able to get to 17 in the world and 10 in doubles which was fantastic. Guys like Murray, Nadal, Gasquet, Monfils are future and thats what most are learning nowadays through the junior and into the pro tour. Agrresive baseliners also works well, and Federer is able to do basically any of the three, but Blake, Davydenko, Safin, and soon Del Potro will be showing that one can hit through opponents and thats is phenomenal to watch. Basically I am showing that S&V players often get hurt, not to mention players pass a lot better nowadays, and if given a target, they can hit it more accurately, between racquets and quality of play. So I just want to apologize and say sorry to S&V fans, cause it will be dying out for a few years.

fastdunn
08-20-2007, 10:33 AM
I would put Federer/Djokovic into neutral/defensive baseliner.
Even Roddick turned his game very conservative one at the baseline.
Gasquet used to be pretty aggressive shot maker but slowly turning his game
conservative.

Generally speaking, main stream of current tour is very conservative
baseline game. You have to run down/scramble/retireve lots of shots.
Compared to past, the main stream is a defensive tennis.
You need a tough defense game these days.
I think Federer/Nadal/Djokovic are same kind in the grand scheme of this.

Andres
08-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Hrbaty and Calleri are aggressive baseliners.

swisser
08-20-2007, 02:20 PM
sam isnt a s&ver

federer envies me
08-20-2007, 02:24 PM
isner isnt either

swisser
08-20-2007, 02:30 PM
or lopez or ancic

kingkong
08-20-2007, 02:30 PM
hrbaty is a defensive baseliner

callieri most certainly is not

Robbie_1988
08-20-2007, 02:37 PM
So I just want to apologize and say sorry to S&V fans, cause it will be dying out for a few years.

I think it'll die out forever. Not just a few years. Maybe every now and again a wannabe S&V might come up but with little success.

tennispro11
08-20-2007, 02:53 PM
isner isnt either

Uh, yes Isner would be considered a S&V'er. He comes to net quite often when he is serving, so wouldn't that be considered serving and volleying. :confused:

hoosierbr
08-20-2007, 03:03 PM
A serve-and-volleyer is someone who comes to the net on most first and second serves. Karlovic and Max Mirnyi are the only two current players I can think of that still do that. Bjorkman and Henman, once solid s&v, have now retreated to the baseline and come in on approach shots. Interesting how Bjorkman's game has gone up these last two years and Henman's way down especially given that Bjorkman is older and plays both singles and doubles whereas Henman rarely plays doubles.

Isner, from what I've seen, comes in after his serves based on who he's playing not as a rule.

Would add Thomas Johansson to the agressive baseliner/all-court list.

tennispro11
08-20-2007, 03:05 PM
In today's game, a guy who comes in on probably 70 percent of his serves would be considered a serve and volleyer. No doubt in my mind on that one. Isner has done that in every match I have seen. So based on what I've seen he would be considered a S&V'er in today's game.

fastdunn
08-20-2007, 04:42 PM
yeah, Isner was a suprise. maybe you need to be 7 foot to be a S&Ver these days...

dima
08-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Gasquet a defensive player? Are you crazy?

Andres
08-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Nalbandian, Nadal and Monaco are aggressive baseliners. Nadal and Nalbandian are actually aggressive counterpunchers, but still.

pabloJD
08-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Hrbaty and Calleri are aggressive baseliners.

No doubt about it.
Calleri is one of the least defensive players that come to my mind

Breaker
08-21-2007, 07:19 AM
Querry is definitely an aggressive baseliner, he very rarely comes to net and when he does it isn't pretty. I'd replace him with Mirnyi on your list :).

bdog
08-21-2007, 07:39 AM
The serve and volleyer is not gone and never will be. The game has just evolved a bit and so have the players. To be top 100, you better not have a major flaw in your game or strokes, you should be able to hit any shot at any time. To be one dimensional or to be one style or one surface will not work in todays game. Being categorized can be too limiting and predictable and often can be exposed. Federer can S&V or stay back, while Roddick can only play one style, one surface. Where Nadal is primarily a baseliner, he has learned to close out points at the net when needed. Nadal is very under-rated when it comes to his net play. I think the state of the game is well defined by Fed and Nadal, the two best who can compete on either's best surface.

If you can't adapt and learn to play the appropriate game to the player and surface then you better hit the courts and keep on working on your game. The better players will.