PDA

View Full Version : How to come back after a long rest?

Dan007
08-20-2007, 11:09 AM
I finally played since march today and played like crap. I was losing to people that I usually own. I can hit the ball decently during drills, but I have trouble during rallies. I need to get use to the spin, the court speed, my movement, reading the direction of the ball, and lots more. What do you guys do after a long rest to get use to these to playing tennis again?

Trinity TC
08-20-2007, 11:19 AM
I would grab my favorite practice partner and hit for a couple days at 40-70% maximum practice effort until my rhythm and timing were almost back to normal. It also got my focus, hand-eye and foot-eye over the hump. Fitness took a bit longer but I was one of those to take a little longer and play myself into shape. Usually took about two and a half to three weeks to get back into game shape...mentally and physically.

jck01
08-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I finally played since march today and played like crap. I was losing to people that I usually own. I can hit the ball decently during drills, but I have trouble during rallies. I need to get use to the spin, the court speed, my movement, reading the direction of the ball, and lots more. What do you guys do after a long rest to get use to these to playing tennis again?

Has anything changed physically for you or your opponents since you last played? It could be that your opponents are in better physical condition than you. I had trouble keeping up with my opponents after 1-1/2 year layoff because I gained 15-20 lbs while they didn't gain as much, if any. In addition, if they are continually playing games, they're accustomed to playing games while you're accustomed to just hitting around. You can't expect to not play for long periods and expect to do as well as you did right away either. It'll take time to condition your muscle.