PDA

View Full Version : Either Federer or Nadal to have a career Masters slam so to speak?

anointedone
08-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Does anyone think there is any chance of any of the current players winning all the Masters titles in their careers? Hamburg is presumably gone, so I think that makes 8 Masters events now.

Federer has won Pacific Life, Nasdaq, Rogers Cup, Cincinnati, Madrid, Hamburg. He only needs to win Monte Carlo, Rome, and Paris for the career slam.

Nadal has won Pacific Life, Rogers Cup, Madrid, Rome, Monte Carlo. If Hamburg is gone as a Masters, obviously he cant win there. However he only needs to win Nasdaq, Cincinnati, Paris, to have all the Masters of the remaining ones on tour.

Sup2Dresq
08-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Does anyone think there is any chance of any of the current players winning all the Masters titles in their careers? Hamburg is presumably gone, so I think that makes 8 Masters events now.

Federer has won Pacific Life, Nasdaq, Rogers Cup, Cincinnati, Madrid, Hamburg. He only needs to win Monte Carlo, Rome, and Paris for the career slam.

Nadal has won Pacific Life, Rogers Cup, Madrid, Rome, Monte Carlo. If Hamburg is gone as a Masters, obviously he cant win there. However he only needs to win Nasdaq, Cincinnati, Paris, to have all the Masters of the remaining ones on tour.

What about the Masters Cup?

anointedone
08-20-2007, 12:05 PM
What about the Masters Cup?

I sort of count that as seperate. I guess you include that though, it is bigger then all the regular Masters events after all. In that case Nadal has a bit further to go, since that is another one he doesnt have yet. Still will be interesting to see what he can do in the future.

Moose Malloy
08-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Shanghai is having a masters series in '09 as well. and Madrid is switching to clay.

I don't think there is much of a chance for either to win all masters. Nadal isn't good enough to win on the fast masters & Fed is now pacing himself for just the slams & the #1 ranking. By November, there isn't much reason for him to play both Paris & Madrid, since he will be too worn out for Masters Cup & the Australian Open.

Considering how many masters both guys have missed in their careers, should show how important the masters series really are.

anointedone
08-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Shanghai is having a masters series in '09 as well. and Madrid is switching to clay.

I did not know that. Thanks for the information.

By November, there isn't much reason for him to play both Paris & Madrid, since he will be too worn out for Masters Cup & the Australian Open.

Actually there is this year. His #1 ranking being challenged so closely by Nadal. Also with Nadal and Djokovic, that might hold true in future years too, giving more incentive to play both.

The tennis guy
08-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Actually there is this year. His #1 ranking being challenged so closely by Nadal. Also with Nadal and Djokovic, that might hold true in future years too, giving more incentive to play both.

By the time of Paris master event, it won't be close unless he is injured between now and then.

onkystomper
08-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Brilliant yet another clay court tournament!!

Why is the season so unevenly balanced between surfaces. They have got rid of rebound ace in Aus. There is only 1 big tournament on grass!!

MOre variety please!!

daddy
08-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Id say not, because to win all the masters tours, you have to be sooo consistant. Fed is close but needs to shrug of nadal at those 3 claycourt masters, which are pretty slow clay. He may win one maybe two, if he makes it to three hats off.

sunflowerhx
08-21-2007, 05:44 AM
Why is the season so unevenly balanced between surfaces. They have got rid of rebound ace in Aus. There is only 1 big tournament on grass!!

Yes, Queens should be made into a Master event, and the grass season should be at least a week longer.

bluetrain4
08-21-2007, 06:21 AM
That would be quite an accomplishment, especially adding the Masters Cup.

I don't think any pro ever has done this, even taking into account that the Masters Series hasn't been around all that long and adjusting for what used to simply be the "Tier 1" tournaments, which have changed over time.

Players have surface preferences and winning the Masters Slam (or its yesteryear equivalent) would require a player to win more than one tourney on his worst surface. Fed has as good of a chance as anybody in history, but I'd still bet against it.

A more realistic "Masters Slam" (based on the 4 Slam model we're used to) would be

1. Indian Wells or Miami
2. A spring clay masters (currently Monte Carlo, Rome, Hamburg)
3. A summer hardcourt masters (Montreal/Toronto and Cincinnati)
4. A fall indoor masters (Paris and I'm not sure what the other ones are right now)

I'm not sure how to integrate the Masters Cup into this.

anointedone
08-21-2007, 06:25 AM
A more realistic "Masters Slam" (based on the 4 Slam model we're used to) would be

1. Indian Wells or Miami
2. A spring clay masters (currently Monte Carlo, Rome, Hamburg)
3. A summer hardcourt masters (Montreal/Toronto and Cincinnati)
4. A fall indoor masters (Paris and I'm not sure what the other ones are right now)

I'm not sure how to integrate the Masters Cup into this.

In that case Federer has already achieved the "Masters Slam" having won both Indian Wells and Miami, Hamburg, Canada, Cincinnati, and Madrid.

Moose Malloy
08-21-2007, 08:10 AM
^I think he means winning one of each in the same year, which has never happened.

serve/and/volley
08-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Now that Masters events are best out of 3 sets, these tournaments are just filler in between the real Grand Slams. The Cincy final completed in less than an hour? Even the Shanghai Masters is a joke, where only the final is best of 5.

daddy
08-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Now that Masters events are best out of 3 sets, these tournaments are just filler in between the real Grand Slams. The Cincy final completed in less than an hour? Even the Shanghai Masters is a joke, where only the final is best of 5.

Okay then , lets just have 4 tournaments per year and the rest, well they can be considered chanlangers. LEt the guys below 200 rank play them. So why do you think all 23 of the best men showed up at montreal, they could have gone to cincy and skip montreal if this was just a worm up ?

Shangai is a joke ? Where best of the best meet each other and play almost with everyone else in top 8 ? Okay , maybe you do think so, but Id say I have a funny feeling this is as far from the truth as it can be. Maybe this is one of the top 10 silly statements about tennis Ive ever heard in my life, maybe top 10 of all the time ! Sorry NHF but its like that.