PDA

View Full Version : ball machine

Brian_C
08-20-2007, 12:39 PM
im looking for an afordable ball machine, so far i have found this but do u guyz think it will be about to go hard enough i've been playing for about 6 months im 16 years old what do u think link below

http://www.tennis-ball-machine.com/catalog/shopping/Sports_Tutor_Tennis_Twist#accessories

dcottrill
08-20-2007, 01:43 PM
I remember when I was 16. Money was always an issue. So, I know that $200 is not exactly pocket change to you. I also know that, as a young tennis player, you want a ball machine. But please...don't waste you hard earned money on a Tennis Twist. You'll outgrow it in about a week. I know you don't want to hear this, but save your money until you can afford a "real" machine. $600 will get you an i-Sam or a TT Pro Lite. I know $600 sounds like a fortune right now, but if you have $200 for a Tennis Twist, you're one third of the way there.

Good luck.

Venetian
08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah the Tennis Twist is for small children to learn with. Possibly the elderly as well.

mark rodgers
08-23-2007, 12:55 PM
NO, NO, on the Twist. If you're just learning, there is nothing wrong with hitting against the wall. Most high schools will have some courts with concrete walls to hit on. It is a great (free) training tool.

How about this suggestion: Some public tennis centers have ball machine time for rent on a hourly, monthly, or yearly basis. Our local tennis center has a monthly pass for about $30 and a yearly pass for about $200. Compare that to an hourly rate of $10 to $12. You'll eat that $200 in no time and the rest will be free. Maybe rates are a little more in your area. Start by doing a month and see how much you actually use it. Parents will cough up $30 a lot faster than $200. But if you can show that you use $100 of machine time for $30, they'll keep giving it to you just to give you an activity outside of school. If you're having to pay for it yourself then it makes much more sense.

Usually tennis centers have the high end machines like the Playmate Genie which retails for around $5,000. If you want to hit on a ball machine, this is about as good as it gets. The balls can fire at you at 100mph! It's your best friend and worst nightmare all in one. It has so many features, you'll have fun making do a lot of things. It may even be attached to a serving tower where you can practice service returns. They may even have a better machine that does more. But basically, they are going to have a machine that is designed for high use and high performance.

Consider that with renting you do not have worry about storage, repairs, and battery replacements, etc. When the tennis center's machine goes down, the service company usually repairs it within a day or they give the tennis center a loaner. So the availability is usually very high. Then there's the issue with the balls. If you rent time, they also take care of that as well. They won't be in great condition but it's not your problem. The only pain is having to call to reserve the time and not always being able to get the time you want. Another nice thing about renting a machine is that it includes the court time. If the ball machine is on a full court that's an added benefit. You could put the machine aside and use the balls for practicing your serve, for example. Also, you get to hang out at the tennis center and eavesdrop on lessons. When I was a kid I got a lot a free lessons this way. In the process maybe you'll make some new friends and find a hitting partner.

If you do decide to rent, take some time and learn about the various ball machines out ther. Make the tennis center show you the ball machine before you pay. Make them operate it and ask them to show you how it works.

Have fun and get good at this great sport!