PDA

View Full Version : weight of replacement grips?

Drizzt
10-24-2004, 04:48 PM
If I wanted to increace the weight of my racquet make it more head light and build the grip up one more size I figured putting a replacement grip would do all the above. How many grams would a replacement grip add. Also how many grams would a leather grip add?

Thanks

TW Staff
10-26-2004, 09:00 AM
The best way to do this is to have the handle of your racquet shrink sleeved. This will increase the grip size while maintaining the correct handle shape. You can do this yourself if you have access to a heat gun, or have an MRT stringer do it for you.
If you build the grip up by adding another replacement grip, the handle shape will become rounded.
Replacement grips vary in weight depending on materials. In addition, depending on how much you trim the grip will alter the finished weight. A leather grip will most likely add more weight.

To correctly accomplish your goals, I suggest adding lead tape to the bare handle of the racquet, put your old grip back on and see if you like the weight. Adjust with more or less lead if needed. Shrink sleeve the handle over the lead tape, add a new grip and you're good to go. Do not worry about the weight of the shrink sleeve, as it is not heavy enough to make any noticeable difference to swingweight.

Chris, TW.