PDA

View Full Version : Tightening knots with string tensioner?

dacrymn
08-20-2007, 03:25 PM
How are you supposed to tighten knots? Just by pulling with pliers or do you use the string tensioner to get a REALLY tight knot?

POGforEver
08-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Use pliers, do not use the tensioner to tighten knots. You should have enough strength to tighten them by hand.

nickb
08-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Do not use your string tensioner to pull knots..you could damage the grommets or snap the string...just use a good knot / pull it nice and tight with pliers. The knot does not need to be super tight...

babolatpdtp
08-20-2007, 03:41 PM
NEVER use the tensioner. When you pull the string for the knot, the string gets placed on top of the frame, causing too much pressure on the frame (this will snap from the frame). Also the knot can actually squeeze the main or cross it was tied on enough to snap the string. And finally, like a starting knot, a knot too small (too tight) can slip through the grommet, ruining it and possibly the frame.

If you are really worried about losing the tension on the string, up the tension on the last main or cross that is being tied off.

dacrymn
08-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Aha. Thanks guys. I heard somewhere to not do that, so now I just use pliers and i tie two knots.

Alrighty, good thing I started doing this on my new racket.

abenguyen
08-20-2007, 04:25 PM
you're not supposed to since it might snap the string, but I do it VERY lightly with my dropweight so my knots look tight enough

Steve Huff
08-20-2007, 08:23 PM
It's never too late to break a bad habit.

iplaybetter
08-20-2007, 08:58 PM
i do it on my frames, but not on customers, and i am trying to breack the habit i just need to get a pair of the right pliers, the babolat cam ones look great but they are so expensive

New Kid On the Block
08-20-2007, 09:19 PM
cutting knots is a pain in the ***.

New Kid On the Block
08-20-2007, 09:19 PM
i mean cutting the string after the knot is tied.

dacrymn
08-20-2007, 09:40 PM
.................................................. ...........................huh?
secondly..........you take some scissors....and....*snip*
I don't quite understand.

And thanks everyone for your help. I was always curious as to why everyone else's knots were so loose while mine resemble a solid chunk of melted-then-hardened string.

tbini87
08-20-2007, 10:22 PM
if you tie a good knot it should tighten up well without extra pulling... so make sure you are using a correct knot if you want it to look good.

stevekim8
08-21-2007, 07:07 AM
i mean cutting the string after the knot is tied.

try using nail clipper
it's small, so it works really well

kirbster123
08-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Once i accidently cut on of the cross srings while trying to cut the knot. One of the dumbest things i've ever done.

dacrymn
08-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Once i accidently cut on of the cross srings while trying to cut the knot. One of the dumbest things i've ever done.

haha ouch. That would suck really bad, considering you've just finished the string job.

PBODY99
08-21-2007, 12:12 PM
i do it on my frames, but not on customers, and i am trying to breack the habit i just need to get a pair of the right pliers, the babolat cam ones look great but they are so expensive

A simple pair of needle nose pliers is all you need to tie off a double half hitch knot. Just snug it up and release the clamp , it will be fine.
Sears has a set of hobby pliers that goes on sale for around ten bucks. It gives you a case and several pliers and a small pair of snips.

diredesire
08-21-2007, 12:13 PM
you're not supposed to since it might snap the string, but I do it VERY lightly with my dropweight so my knots look tight enough

It's not simply the string snapping, it's also an added stress on the frame. I personally do not advise using a tensioner, but to each his own. I know people that have strung hundreds of frames this way, and haven't had a problem. As long as you KNOW it's bad technique, I can't knock you for it.

It's never too late to break a bad habit.
Ditto.

The pliers can actually make a significant difference. I use parallel pliers and a set of really old, smooth cam pliers. It makes a much more secure, easy grip on the string, which results in tighter knots, and less "worrying" about pulling too hard. Having an increased surface area/width of "grab" makes a big difference. I could surely get along fine with a pair of pliers, but if i had the option, i'll always have a set of parallel jaws in my kit.

Steve Huff
08-21-2007, 09:51 PM
I use needle-nose pliers and toe-nail clippers to cut the string.

jonolau
08-22-2007, 06:49 AM
So far I've never had any problems with tiet-offs using the Parnell Knot. This is a very simple and effective knot that only requires the use of a pair of needle nose pliers.

I used to get bothered that I needed cam pliers. In the end after settling on the Parnell Knot, I've never had any problems with slippage, excessive tension loss or knots snapping when cinching up.